I am offended

trish k

Cathlete
83165, "RE: sorry"
In response to Reply # 5

This is such a huge and impressive endeavor it makes me wonder if we will be seeing STS infomercials anytime soon???

Carolyn

"The animals of the world exist for their own reasons. They were not made for humans any more than black people were made for white, or women created for men."

Alice Walker

http://www.picturetrail.com/photos/carolyn816

I feel that the saying in this particular posts is very offesive. I am sure that Carolyn didn't mean to be offessive, but first of all black people are called African Americans. I do not think that it is appropriate to place a race in the same sentence as animals. Please address this issue.

Trish,

I'm very sorry if I offended you. I'm using a quote from a famous African American named Alice Walker. It is a common quote but I will remove it.

Carolyn

This is my reply from the other thread. Thought I'd post it here too.

Just to let you know, this quote is by Alice Walker, a very famous African American writer who believes in feminism, racial equality, and animal rights. If you read the quote right you'll see that that's all it's saying.

Amy

>Trish,
>
>I'm very sorry if I offended you. I'm using a quote from a
>famous African American named Alice Walker. It is a common
>quote but I will remove it.
>
>Carolyn
>
>

Carolyn, personally I didn't see anything offensive about your quote but you, my friend, are a class act all the way!

>Carolyn, personally I didn't see anything offensive about your
>quote but you, my friend, are a class act all the way!

Agreed! Carolyn, I don't see anything wrong with the quote and don't think you should have to remove it, especially since it's a quote from a well-known and respected African American woman.

BTW, I know many African American people who actually prefer to be called black rather than African American. Just goes to show you, you can't make everyone happy all the time.

>>Carolyn, personally I didn't see anything offensive about
>your
>>quote but you, my friend, are a class act all the way!
>
>Agreed! Carolyn, I don't see anything wrong with the quote
>and don't think you should have to remove it, especially since
>it's a quote from a well-known and respected African American
>woman.
>
>BTW, I know many African American people who actually prefer
>to be called black rather than African American. Just goes to
>show you, you can't make everyone happy all the time.

Agreed, there is nothing offensive about it. Alice Walker is a highly respected African American author, she would not deliberately demean her own race.

Whatever.

This quote is anything but offensive. In fact, it is clearly stating the opposite...My take on it was that it is putting everyone on an equal level...I suppose it is open to interpretation, but I would say that calling it offensive or racist is a stretch.

Forgive me for posting in this forum, not exactly the right place but...
This post left me scratching my head and all I can say is that I hope you won't remove the quotation Carolyn.

>Forgive me for posting in this forum, not exactly the right
>place but...
>This post left me scratching my head and all I can say is that
>I hope you won't remove the quotation Carolyn.

I second that, Beavs. This is just foolish and ridiculous.

Same here!
It is clearly not meant to be offensive by you or the actual originator of the quote. I see it as empowering, myself.

Just because someone happens to be bothered by it does not mean that you should take it down.

I hope you don't!!!

RE:Moved to OD

OOOOHHHH, I know whats up now! Nothing like a little controversy on a Monday!:7

Personally, I think we all get offended WAY to easy now days over everything. Its like we have overinflated opinions about our opinions or something like that, ya know what I mean? Oh dear, that just made me scratch my own head.
:p

Might I suggest spending a few hours listening to Howard Stern's radio show? That'll cure what ails ya.:p :p

I know, I am offensive....;)

RE:Moved to OD

I really rather not say a word, but here I am typing up something to post to the masses because sometimes it has to be said even if we don't want to say it.....

There was nothing offensive about the post, however even if it was just because one person or a small group is "offended" that doesn't mean something should be removed.

We have our rights and freedoms for a reason, and I can't stand it when someone says "I am offended, change it". I wish everyone still said "Merry Christmas" but because it offends a group of people we say "happy holidays" now.

I can't stand those people who want to speak outloud about their thoughts on this war and our men and women of uniform when it reflects poorly on them, but I will listen because everyone has their right to speak and be heard even if we don't like it. Quite frankly the way I see it is if you can't stand behind our brave men and women you should have to stand in front of them.

Just because one or a small group of us might be offended that doesn't give us the right to request something removed. Now I am not saying this to cause another waive in the Cathe forum, but just that come on now if words hurt you after workingout with Cathe them maybe you aren't tough enough. }(

May I respectfully point out that not all black people are African-Americans? And not every black person living or present in the United States is an American. Some may be Jamaican nationals or of Caribbean descent, for example, and it is therefore presumptuous to refer to them as African American.

It has been my experience that some black people do not wish to be referred to as African American.

For what it is worth, I find it best to refer to people the way that they wish to be referred to. If I am not sure, I like to play it safe. Therefore, I refer to black people as black, unless they advise me that they wish to be called otherwise. :)

I normally don't jump in on these things, but I think to be offended by that quote is just ridiculous, and to insist that the issue "be addressed" is the height of arrogance. No offense, of course }(

So someone got offended by that quote...big deal. If that person is offended, they are offended...just because others don't see any offense in the statement doesn't make the offended person's statement and or feelings any less valid.

Personally Carolyn, I didn't find the quote offensive. If you choose to keep the quote on your posts, more power to you...if you choose to remove it out of respect for the person you unintentionally offended, again more power to you.

I don't get why people get so defensive over something like this. To me it is totally rude, selfish and uncaring to say 'Hey too bad you are offended.' and to insist that the quote remains even though we know someone is offended by it just seems spiteful to me. Let Carolyn make that decision and let's respect what ever she decides.

I do know who Alice Walker is and just because she said it, doesn't mean that the quote is well recieved when taken out of context. This is a fitness board. I called several of my African-American friends and just read the quote I didn't say anything to prejudice their response and they all felt like I did about it. The politically correct way to refer to black people is by the term African-American,of course this does change with time. Carolyn I accept your appology because I know that you didn't mean any harm. I am not bent out of shape about the matter either way, I am simply stating how I feel, the quote out of context doesn't sound like the point that I know that you were trying to make. If that makes someone unhappy so be it, I simply expressed how I feel about the matter. I respectfully have considered everyone else's opinion as well. Trish

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.