Hurricane Katrina

RedWingFan

Cathlete
I can't believe how quickly this hurricane has grown; category 5 now.

I'm safe up in Vermont; but my thoughts and prayers are with all out there in the gulf and New Orleans. I just saw New Orleans has a mandatory evacuation. I hope all stay safe.

Michelle

I haven't watched any TV. I knew it hit Florida, but at a cat 1, right? Wow, thoughts and prayers being sent out to that area.

Thanks for the heads up.

Dallas

Thoughts and prayers heading that way. This looks like a very bad one.

Dallas, it was a Cat 1 when it hit Florida, but it went into the Gulf and picked up steam. It's now a Cat 5 and heading right for New Orleans.

Carol

My brother is a long-term resident of New Orleans, and I just finished speaking with him in his hotel room in Lafayette. It looks real, real bad. Not only the evacuation needs and the growing swath Katrina seems to be cutting, but also . . . what are the evacuees going to have to come home to, if anything? Bro was saying The Big Easy could become the Lost City of Atlantis from this - under 20-30 feet of water.

A-Jock

I heard it could take weeks to clear out the water, weeks where people won't be able to work or return home. The news was also saying that this could send oil prices even higher. my good thoughts to everyone there.

Sparrow

A-Jock -
It looks just horrible watching the news. I hope your brother is safe up in Lafayette.
I hope all those people who are going to stay in the dome downtown will be all right.
And for the city itself, well it just doesn't look good. Like you said; the Lost City of Atlantis.

Keep us posted on how he's doing.

Michelle

Yikes! I hope everyone is smart enough to get out of harm's way. There's always that handful of residents who think they can "ride it out". I just heard that the sustained winds are the equivalent to an F3 tornado...that's a BIG tornado.

Safe wishes to everyone in Katrina's path!

Some people can't leave, they have no money to go anywhere, and no way to get there. Not sure I'd feel safe in the Superdome but I guess it's better than riding it out in your home which could end up under water. It's not only the winds; it's the storm surge and the resultant flooding. In addition to that as they come inland they often spawn tornadoes.

A-Jock I'm sending positive thoughts your brother's way.

Carol

Oh, AJock - my thoughts and prayers to your brother and his friends and family! And to everyone else in New Orleans and the surrounding areas. I've been through a Cat 1 hurricane, and the winds were bad enough. I cannot even imagine a Cat 5. I hope a miracle happens and it diminishes before it lands.

Gosh.......I have been watching the coverage of this storm just today on TWC. My thoughts and prayers are with everyone in the affected areas. I just can't imagine having to go through that kind of thing! Be safe all and Ajock......I will say an extra prayer for your brother..

Oh yeah, and the news is saying that there are people just wandering around....people that COULD HAVE left but are doubting the severity of the storm, thinking they can ride it out. TWC is saying it will be catastrophic! I just can't imagine..

What can we do to help these people???:(

>Oh yeah, and the news is saying that there are people just
>wandering around....people that COULD HAVE left but are
>doubting the severity of the storm, thinking they can ride it
>out. TWC is saying it will be catastrophic! I just can't
>imagine..
>
>What can we do to help these people???:(

PRAY.

Thoughts and prayers absolutely that way. This storm is a monster--I am glued to the tv watching the radar pics. They are talking about refugee camps having to be set up afterwards. It's unbelievable.

Watching the news, I just am amazed at how many people stay intentially and ride out the storm.
And I'm not talking about the people who can't leave or who are staying at the Superdome.
Also, I heard that only 1 in 6 buildings are boarded up on Bourbon Street. I just don't understand that.
I experienced a Tropical storm years ago in Florida and all my windows were blown out in my little beach apt. Scarry. And needless to say, very wet.:p

Michelle

Michelle, some folks can't imagine what these things can do. I've seen many hurricanes here in southeastern VA and I have great respect for them. We've ridden them all out, but every year I wonder if this is the year for us...it's not a question of if, but when. We have this big spit of land off Norfolk called Willoughby Spit, filled with homes now and small restaurants and bars and many boats tied up along the shore. It was created by a huge hurricane back in colonial times. So it can happen. Most of our hurricanes strike North Carolina and then come up our way, much weaker. But I don't think we can sit back and expect NC to be our shelter all the time...

So my prayers and thoughts are with all our loved ones down there and all those other folks. The storm will be bad enough, but the weeks and months of clean up, rebuilding, and trying to get back to a normal life will be the nightmare these folks will have to face. Isabel taught us that and she was a lady of a #1 who came up through...you guessed it, NC.

When the Big One comes our way, btw, we're out of here. DH says to head for WV, period. Where we'll go with all these dogs? I have no idea...but we'll have to work on that one....

Thanks to everyone for their kind thoughts, wishes and prayers (I say this as a largely secular person who's fishing for her holdover rosary right now). What with one brother in Iraq, another brother lost inside his own self-destructiveness, and now my other brother refugeeing, this has been one helluva year for A-J-Sibs.

This is the third time my bro has had to evacuate NO, and I can see where some people might get a false sense of complacency - they always had The Big Easy to return to before, so why not now? And others might have a total sense of attraction to the danger of it. Of course, I'd wager the vast majority of people who didn't evacuate couldn't - due to poverty, physical / mental disability, etc.

I think too we all need to start preparing to dig deep into our checkbooks for the money needed for relief efforts. Our own tsunami, as it were.

Thanks again, Cathe friends.

A-Jock

For the past several days I've been swamped by jokes from coworkers, family and friends. People that I haven't spoken to in years have contacted me because I've been on their minds...Why, you may ask? Because my name is Katrina. The funny thing is that it's not like it's an extremely common name. Now all of sudden, I hear my name every two minutes, it's all over the place. I feel such a strong connection to this Hurricane. It's simply amazing. At first it didn't seem too bad but now it seems down right horrific. I certainly do wish I had some power over the situtation but of course, life doesn't work that way. I certainly do hope and pray that people heed the warnings and move to a safer location. This one is very, very scary. Maybe (I'll keep my fingers crossed ) it won't be as bad as predicted. Sometimes, that happens. Anyway, I'll say a prayer from one Katrina to another and hope that perhaps things won't turn out so badly. I truly do wish safety to all of those in her path.

Katrina

Prayers for you and your family, A-Jock!! We just heard that our DD will be headed to NO on Thursday...she is Military Police currently stationed in Kansas. They are, of course, going because they expect looters! I wish the world was like it is in here, then it wouldn't be necessary to send in the Army to protect peoples homes and property!

Sherry

My DIL's mother's family is in NO and Bay St. Louis, MS. Her mother, who usually resides in TN, is down there now taking care of her brother. They have all evacuated to somewhere in TX. They are safe but I'm sure so worried about their homes.

A-Jock ~ Extra prayers going out to you, your family and most of all your brother. I've finally turned on the TV and have been watching the Weather channel or MSNBC. It doesn't sound good. My brother came back from Iraq in Jan. Thankfully! He said he will probably have to go back.:-( He's in the Marines. Which branch is your brother in?

Dallas

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.