How would you feel?

Kit_

Cathlete
I would really love some feedback on this as I really want to get into helping the normal person lose weight, my footballers are great but when I got to take another trainers normal people on I loved it. But there were a few reasons why I was staying away from that area. Due to a lot of negative feedback in the beginning of my PT career, and I want to see if things have changed. So I'm trying to paint a picture of characteristic that most notice first and seem to be uncomfortable with.

How would you feel after waiting for about 5 minutes, that your personal trainer walked in introduced herself and was all of 4 foot 10 inches tall, extra small bone frame making her look pretty small all over?

How would you feel if when you first glanced at her, she looked like a 15-17 year old?

How would you feel if she wanted to weigh you, and do skin fold test?

After talking to her how would you feel when you found out, she's nearly twice what you assumed in age, if you stuck around that long to start with?

I would love your first response that comes to mind, as that's usually the ones I pick up on, or get told about anyway.

Thank you for all those who are willing to do this.

Kit

1. I suffer from the "comparing mind", so, my self-esteem would be chipped away at by your petiteness. It's something I have never had.

2. I don't take advice from 15-17 year olds very often. They usually know less about almost everything than I do.

3. Embarrassed, but then, that's what I'm there for, right?

4. Surprised, but reassured: "She might actually know what she's talking about. And maybe exercise can help me look and stay that young".

These are honest responses.

But you know, you can't be held responsible and made to feel inadequate professionally because of the genetics you were blessed with.

Clare

As a petite woman, I wouldn't be put off by your height at all, as long as you were very fit for your body type. But if you really look that young, (it's hard to fool me), then I have to agree with Clare. I just don't take advice from teenagers, especially not about my 49-yr. old body. That would put me off initially. If I were you, I would mention it up front.

I would suggest developing a website and putting your age front and center. I would also include pics of you in form-fitting outfits so that your muscle definition can be seen. Just editing to add that I rarely hire anyone for anything without first examining their website.

The weighing and the skin fold test would be pretty much expected. How can you judge my progress if you don't know where I started?

Hope this helps!

-Nancy

1. :) I am six feet tall so I would feel kinda funny on this one. Not because you were small in frame but because I would tower over you!! That being said, I could/would get used to it if you knew your stuff.

2. I wouldn't care.

3. That's fine; no issues here.

4. I'd want to hire her! She obviously knows what she is doing if she looks half her age. I think this is definitely a positive thing.

I can see why you would be worried or put out, given that at six feet and in relative good shape, people make unwarranted judgements about me all of the time wihtout even speaking to me. Especially in that career, people need to be comfortable with you & not put out. I think that if your personality shines through and that if you know your stuff, most will look past that.

Christine :)

Hey Kit.
My first thought was,
This girl looks great. I hope she can help me reach MY goals.
Boy she's young. Then she should be up on the latest info on weight loss fitness etc.
God this is embarassing. I'm here to better myself. I have to start somewhere. I can't do this by myself that's why I'm here.

That's what I would think. Honestly. I know not all people don't think like I do but you have to remember YOU are trying to help people better themselves right? And helping others is what we're supposed to do. People who are sick of how they look and are ready to start doing something about it should'nt have a problem with you. Or if they do at first, they should get over it quick or they're not gonna get very far w/ their goals if they can't surrender to someone else's way of doing things. People have issues they need to deal with. You're gonna do your best to help with some of them. But they have to be willing. Just do your best and give God the rest.:)
Kali

Not to hijack the thread, but I saw the pic of you Christine. You look perfect in Rhonda's spot, because Rhonda is the tall one. How was your 5 mins. of fame??? Do you have a film of it?

1)Since I'm 5', I would first think "Oh my goodness she is even shorter than me and tiny." I then would feel fat and constantly comparing myself to you, even though I'm not an extra petite bone framed person.

2)I would be bothered by it at first, because I hate being told what to do from a younger person.

3)embrassed because we were close in height and I should probably be closer to your range. (comparing bodies again) I would feel slightly guilty for being out of shape. However, it the norm to get measured and tested. Who likes to step on a scale in front of another person.

4)I would never walk out on somebody without giving them a chance or 2. I would feel better knowing that you were older than I thought.

I have had the opposite happen where an 40-50lb overweight women came out to get us into shape. I was really bothered by that and didn't understand how she could do this job when I feel she needed a lot work herself. She did have great cardio endurance, but that's not enough for me. I want a complete package.

If I were to do what you want, I would feel the need to be in the best shape I can be and look strong for somebody petite. If you looked anything like Cathe, Brenda, Cedie or Lorrayne (I've them in person) I would stick to you like glue and want to know how you get in that kind of shape.

You (me, too) can't let height stop us from doing what we truly want to do.

I don't think it would bother me, and I'm about 50-65 pounds over where I'd like to be. However, a lot of it would depend on the vibes I pick up. If I get vibes that someone thinks I look gross, I probably wouldn't stick around, but if they treat me like a person, I'm fine. (I prefer fit trainers.)

Is your figure similar to Cathe, Cedie, Brenda or Lorrayne? If yes, then I would "stick to you like glue" just like the above poster says. Plain and simple. I would very quickly get over you being younger than me. Might be intimidated a bit at first, but would definitely get over it in hopes that I would benefit from your advice.
Lisa

Hi Kit,

I think the trainer's initial introduction will have a big impact on the client's reaction. It would on mine.

If it's a professional introduction where the trainer mentioned their experience and academic/professional qualifications and gave off "good vibes", as Jenne mentioned, then it really doesn't matter much how petite or young he/she looks, as long as they come across as skilled. If the trainer spoke and acted like they really didn't know what they were talking about, then I'd be wary regardless of age or buffness.

As a client, a weigh in AND skin fold test would seem like a logical place to start.

HTH

Gayle,

Always the voice of logic, LOL!

Unfortunately, we shorties do need to make a BIG impression.

>Unfortunately, we shorties do need to make a BIG impression.

Candi-
I seriously doubt that you have any trouble making an impression (I mean that in a good way)! :D

I have had the opportunity to observe many personal trainers in my time at Bally Total Fitness. The most successful and oft spoken of trainers are those with excellent communication/people skills, knowledge of physical fitness and the "goods" (bodies) to back it up. Right now there is a very petite trainer who has a friendly and energetic demeanor - who appears quite young. She is doing very well and does not lack for clients. From what I have observed the trainers who do not take an interest in their clients and who don't appear to look as though they even work out themselves are the least successful. As many of you know and anyone who deals with people on a daily basis can tell you - there is no way to be able to please everyone who comes to you. People are put off for many varying reasons. What you have to keep in mind is that even though it may seem personal - it is not. It is part of doing business. Act like a professional and you will most likely be treated like one. If a client is put off by your petite size or your age that is a peek at their own insecurity and self esteem. For the most part you have to get them past that by keeping them engaged and focused on themselves and their goals - not on you. There may be times where none of this works and they want someone else. If they make this obvious, offer to help them find a more suitable fit. Make the best of what you do by always putting your best most professional self forward. I think Cathe is a fine example of this. Just look at all the road trip feedback! She is petite and very defined but it is her workout style and personality that get the most raves.

Q: How would you feel after waiting for about 5 minutes, that your personal trainer walked in introduced herself and was all of 4 foot 10 inches tall, extra small bone frame making her look pretty small all over?

A: If she looks fit, no prob. My PT was a lot shorter than me.

Q: How would you feel if when you first glanced at her, she looked like a 15-17 year old?

A: If she looks fit, no prob. My PT was a lot younger than me.

Q: How would you feel if she wanted to weigh you, and do skin fold test?

A: I'd expect it. My PT did just that.

Q: After talking to her how would you feel when you found out, she's nearly twice what you assumed in age, if you stuck around that long to start with?

A: I'd think she took very good care of herself to look so young.

How would you feel after waiting for about 5 minutes, that your personal trainer walked in introduced herself and was all of 4 foot 10 inches tall, extra small bone frame making her look pretty small all over?

Most of the trainers I know are small people--why is that???--I would not care one way or another.

How would you feel if when you first glanced at her, she looked like a 15-17 year old?

As long as she was open to my knowledge & didn't condescend me, who cares how old she is. A personal trainer needs to be knowledgable not necissarily older.

How would you feel if she wanted to weigh you, and do skin fold test?

That's what I'm there for isn't it?

After talking to her how would you feel when you found out, she's nearly twice what you assumed in age, if you stuck around that long to start with?

I would think, "So, dang girl, what are you doing to make you look so good??? And can you teach me that???"

I would never pair up with a PT that wasn't in awesome shape. I am 4'11" so we could pretend we were in munchkin land's gym!LOL!! As for the age thing, I wouldn't throw it out unless you were asked but you can subtly reveal your age. Example...reference a movie from a while back "My favorite movie in high school", or if music is playing (often the case in a gym) you could say "I haven't heard this since junior high"...that type of thing. I am sure you can come up with better.

Weighing and body fat testing...no one is going to like it...no one! O.k., maybe 3 people in the world! Especially if your not in shape, so it doesn't matter if it is being done by the sweetest, tiniest high school girl or an older, heavier guy. It's going to suck. I suggest doing whatever you can to try to make it easier on the client. I don't know what...but the only thing that could be more humiliating is a colonoscopy or a pap smear! That being said, I wouldn't go to my gynocologist for tips on how to make uncozy situations easier for the patient/client!LOL!!!:eek: :eek: :eek:

Thank you all for your input and you time and thoughtful comments, it has really helped, and I truly appreciate it, as it really has helped me make my decision, as well as gave me somethings to think about. When I first came to Michigan, I moved from Arizona, where I had been personal training as well as group exercise teacher without much problem. In the summer I usually had more of a younger group and in the winter, I had more of an older group. Mostly because that's how the town worked, 6 months of cool weather the older folks from the snow states would come and live and when it got hot, the young mothers, etc would come in on vacation and want to hire me for a bit. Most would give me an odd look for the first few minutes, but after talking with me. Most were pretty happy to have me as a trainer. I only had a few people ever refuse to work with me, and in general it was the older men or women, who were in their late 70s. And I just usually blew it off, and figured they probably thought I was too hyper.

But when I moved to Michigan with my family, I nearly went broke. Since it was a quick move that cost an arm and a leg, I decided just hit one of the big fitness chain gyms where they give you the clients. I got hired on the spot and was started that afternoon due to my certifications. The manager was posting things all over for the clients to come and meet me. I ran to the bathroom and walk back and he introduces me to this women, and she went nuts. Before I could say hello. She snaps at the manager, I didn’t pay all that money to be trained by a walking Barbie miniature. And immediately demands for her money back. I try to assure her, that I know about fitness, but she was done listening. And 90% of the people were just like this women, I was lucky to say hello before they didn’t want to even try. I only had 5 people actually try to workout with me, two of them are still clients today. Of the other three one moved, the other two wanted a male trainer, would take me if a male wasn’t available, and I still see them on occasion. But I couldn’t support my family on 5 people, so when the football trainer came up for the university, I took it. And I love it, but now I miss the normal people the parents and grandparents, the men who didn’t want to have a male trainer as they don’t want another man to touch them while they are sweating, I want all of them back. And taking over some normal clients for another trainer who was on vacation has really made me realize just how much I miss them.

Back then I was a lot less muscle, toned but I didn't show much, now I'm closer to Brenda then anyone else of the Cathe backgrounders. But have taken things up to get more what Cathe has, as I like the look but I had loved my free-style weights as it burns so many calories per day, but I just can't buff up with it much. So now I’m more interested in building more muscle for myself.

I have really wanted to try again, but I don’t want the reaction I got last time. That one lady made me wonder if I looked like Chucky the doll or something, when I walked out, into that waiting area. I don’t mind if you talk to me, and say, hey I don’t think were compatible, that’s fine. Everyone in this business has that happen, as I'm a very supportive type trainer, who would softly encourage my clients. And some people want you in their face yelling and screaming at them, the whole time. And I just wasn’t good at doing that. I am now, as I’ve gotten in a few matches with some of the football players, but even they, like my more energetic style, of fun, always moving and working to the max, instead of acting like their coach.

So thank you all a bunch it gives me something to think about, and for those that are interested, here is a picture of my face, I scanned it from the picture that is on my ID where all the staff had their picture taken at, and back behind me is our wall of gold, which looks really funny in the picture, but there are names etched into it, of various sport players, coaches, and trainers.

http://www.dragonstalisman.com/images/kit_020505.jpg

Also note my hands under my chin, is actually a coaching sign, for hit them hard.

I’d post something that has more of my body, but all the new stuff, I’m in jacket outifts and the jacket is sort of big, since it's from the university, and they gave me an adult size instead of a child's. The older stuff is when I was in the wheel chair with a broken back, and the real old stuff is high school. I don’t get too many pictures taken of myself. But it will give you an idea, how young I really do look, this was taken eariler this year, so it's not that old.

Kit

1) I wouldn't mind my trainer being petite so long as she had some solid muscle. If she was skinny and or didn't have much muscle definition, I would find another trainer.

2) The age issue would bug me. I just don't think a person younger than late twenties could have alot of experience, etc. and I would look for a person with more experience. I would come forward with my age if you look alot younger than you are.

That is how I would react.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.