How To Stay Motivated- Get Back on Track

Westcoaster

I have always loved to exercise at home and in the gym, but I find myself procrastinating when it comes time to turn the DVD machine on. I have loved Cathe's workouts and have purchased others, which I love too, but somehow I've just lost my drive to keep them up. I look at all the rotations, and think they're great, but then start thinking, "Well I don't have this DVD or that one, and then things go by the wayside. BTW, I just bought CTX and Muscle Max and have many others too.

Has anybody else had this problem? And if so, what kinds of things did you find helpful to get back on track?

Tks in advance

I suffer from this problem along with bent elbow disease.

I did well last year and lost 20#. I was comitted and counted calories and was very strict. Then when I went off the diet everything just went back to the bad habits. This year I was supposed to lose 20#, I've gained 10.

I love weight training and hate cardio. Getting the Cardio Coach mp3's helps keep me on the elliptical but I still will quit.

Short of having someone stand beside me and scream at me I'm not sure what will keep me motivated. Cardio Coach sent out an email asking for feedback and I suggested a Tough Love mp3 where he tells you to not quit and hang in there and blah blah blah to make me stay on the machine but he actually responded back and said that they think you get yelled at enough in life and they wanted positive reinforcement. But I think I need a Jillian in my house 24/7. When I fail it just makes me not like myself more.

Sure, I've been working out since 1997 and I go through periods where I just stop for months at a time. Usually what brings me back around is the realization that I feel lousy and look squishy. Try mixing it up with something else.

I love the staff at Cardio Coach. They always respond to you. LOL - I told them I would like longer workouts for runners.

Sometimes you just have to plough your way through the motivation slump. You usually find it doesn't last that long.

What's Cardio Coach? I've never heard about that... Please do explain. And I'd love to hear about good -- and other experiences with them.

Actually today tried Illaria's new Athletica DVD and liked it a lot. It's different than anything I've ever done. I am not a Kettlebell-er, but from what I've read, this is more like that, but with weights. The fact that it was so different, made me, my brain and body feel good again.

So I am open to all and any suggestions here.

Tks!!

Wow - I can't believe you're a forum member here and you don't know about Cardio Coach! http://cardiocoach.com/

Sean O'Malley is a trainer in Florida who makes these downloadable workouts that you use when you're doing cardio. He basically coaches you through intervals, working with your Heart Rate Zones to maximize the efficiency of your routine. The workouts are designed for cardio machines, because he has some intervals that focus on speed and others that focus on resistance, and some that use both. But many of us use them for running outside as well, and use speed in place of resistance.

He's fantastic. He's got this great personality - very positive, and a really nice voice, and he uses good music to help keep you going. He always seems to know just the right time in the workout to give you a little pep talk.

He got me from couch to 10k in 2 months.

I used to quit exercising when I lost motivation, so for decades I alternated between periods of regular exercise and slothful periods of feeling bad about not exercising (and getting out of shape, etc.)

Some time during the past year, I had an "a-ha!" moment where I realized that I don't have to feel motivated to exercise, I just have to exercise regardless of whether I want to or not. I guess that, at age 41, I finally put my big-girl pants on! I decided that exercise is non-optional for me. If I feel motivated and I want to do it, great! If I feel unmotivated and I don't want to do it, too bad, I do it anyway. Sort of like feeding my kids; it's not like I skip it when I'm not in the mood to cook dinner for them.

What I've discovered is that when I keep exercising even without motivation, the motivation returns quickly. I have many more days now of wanting to exercise, which makes it that much easier to power through the days I don't feel like it. hth

Wow! You've made me feel better already. Nope, I haven't heard of Sean.. Probably because cardio, since I stopped running, has been my least favorite thing to do . So maybe Sean will give me a boost.

And also to understand that I can't Always feel motivated and just have to do it anyway, as suggested. It's just that that's been part of my persona for so many years.

Really, thanks so much for your suggestions and comments. Feel free to jump right in for more as well.

i'm not really used to consistently exercising. i'm getting better though, and most days i do something even if its for a few min. before bed. but i really enjoy the intense w/o and of course they give results. i have several blogs i read regularly. reading them helps me feel..i'm not alone. and people on these forums understand the struggles. it really helps to have a forward motivation too. also, being accountable to a check in. if i didnt do it i have to tell them.

Logging my workouts into the Workout Manager really helps me. When I see a workout scheduled on my calendar, I am even more motivated to do it because when it's done I can mark the workout as completed and feel like I accomplished something on my to-do list that day.

Also, sometimes it helps to just go with your mood. There are days when my rotation says I am "supposed" to do a certain kind of workout, but if my motivation is really lagging I will just go with what sounds fun. Maybe not ideal, but it's better than just sitting on the couch. (This sounds like it contradicts the Workout Manager motivator, but on these days I just delete my previously scheduled workout and add in what I actually did.)

Another thing that helps me get out of ruts is to try new DVDs or new classes at the gym. I have Netflix, so I have been able to try a lot of different instructors like Amy Bento, Tracey Staehle, Kelly Coffey-Meyer, Jari Love. I am devoted to Cathe, but sometimes I need to change things up. If you don't have Netflix, maybe your local library has some workout DVDs you could try? And Exercise TV's website has some free!!! workouts you can do via your computer (I haven't tried any so I don't know if any are good, but it's at least worth a shot).

Logging my workouts into the Workout Manager really helps me. When I see a workout scheduled on my calendar, I am even more motivated to do it because when it's done I can mark the workout as completed and feel like I accomplished something on my to-do list that day.

I do this too! I started using the Workout Manager a couple of months ago, but before that I logged my workouts on a spreadsheet for the same reason.

Also, sometimes it helps to just go with your mood. There are days when my rotation says I am "supposed" to do a certain kind of workout, but if my motivation is really lagging I will just go with what sounds fun. Maybe not ideal, but it's better than just sitting on the couch. (This sounds like it contradicts the Workout Manager motivator, but on these days I just delete my previously scheduled workout and add in what I actually did.)

I do this too! Today I switched Gym Style Legs to a shorter premix of the same workout, and suddenly it didn't seem too daunting! I'm still doing almost an hour of GSL, so I don't feel bad at all.

When I'm having a hard time getting motivated, I shorten my workout times. Instead of working out an hour or more, I'll shorten the workouts to 45 minutes for weights and 30 minutes for cardio. It gets rid of the dread factor because its over before you know it. I'm doing that right now because I was in a funk. Seems to be working.

I used to quit exercising when I lost motivation, so for decades I alternated between periods of regular exercise and slothful periods of feeling bad about not exercising (and getting out of shape, etc.)

Some time during the past year, I had an "a-ha!" moment where I realized that I don't have to feel motivated to exercise, I just have to exercise regardless of whether I want to or not. I guess that, at age 41, I finally put my big-girl pants on! I decided that exercise is non-optional for me. If I feel motivated and I want to do it, great! If I feel unmotivated and I don't want to do it, too bad, I do it anyway. Sort of like feeding my kids; it's not like I skip it when I'm not in the mood to cook dinner for them.

What I've discovered is that when I keep exercising even without motivation, the motivation returns quickly. I have many more days now of wanting to exercise, which makes it that much easier to power through the days I don't feel like it. hth

I'm kind of in this boat. I love exercising but do have those days when I just don't want to-but I do it anyway. I have been exercising consistently (6 days a week) it has become second nature to me now so even when I drag my feet getting ready to workout, by the time I am a few minutes into the warmup I am ready to go full speed!!

I also like switching things up. I try not to do step or weight training or whatever form of exercise too many days in a row. So when I am looking at rotations that have been developed by Cathe and others, I look for ones that are balanced and switch between different types of cardio and weights. That way I don't feel like not doing a step (or kickbox) workout because I just did one yesterday or even the day before!

These are all great suggestions.. Now those of you who do use rotations, and may "fall off the wagon".. while in the midst of one, do you simply pick up on the next day -- with what you were supposed to do the day before ie do Wed's on Thurs or even the next week- or skip it to say in sequence?

I ask this because I think that rotation might be a good way for me to get back my discipline, but want to be realistic about it.

These are all great suggestions.. Now those of you who do use rotations, and may "fall off the wagon".. while in the midst of one, do you simply pick up on the next day -- with what you were supposed to do the day before ie do Wed's on Thurs or even the next week- or skip it to say in sequence?

I ask this because I think that rotation might be a good way for me to get back my discipline, but want to be realistic about it.

Good question, for me I try to stay on the rotation schedule, but of course things happen in life where things have to stay flexible. If I miss a workout I'll shuffle the rest of the week's workouts around so that things stay in balance. How I do this depends on what workout I missed. If it was cardio, I'll just skip it and move on to the next workout, or maybe add a little cardio in that day. If I missed something that really needs to be made up, like the only chest/triceps workout I'll get that week, I'll definitely make it up in place of a cardio day. Again, maybe I'll add a little cardio - 20 minutes or so - but if I don't, I don't sweat it.

I think part of what is keeping me consistent is remembering that something is better than nothing. For example, I did the 49 min premix of Gym Style Legs last night because the full version just felt like too much, especially since I had a Back to School night to go to.

Maybe you just need to change things up. Sign up for a yoga or pilates class. Try swimming or biking sometimes it does become boring. But adding new things definatly helps. I hear Zumba is a blast!

I have always loved to exercise at home and in the gym, but I find myself procrastinating when it comes time to turn the DVD machine on. I have loved Cathe's workouts and have purchased others, which I love too, but somehow I've just lost my drive to keep them up. I look at all the rotations, and think they're great, but then start thinking, "Well I don't have this DVD or that one, and then things go by the wayside. BTW, I just bought CTX and Muscle Max and have many others too.

Has anybody else had this problem? And if so, what kinds of things did you find helpful to get back on track?

Tks in advance

First, congrats on getting back into it! It can be hard to get motivated, but I think everyone goes through phases. As we near the holidays, I am finding that I am waiting less on machines at the gym (fewer people).

Anyway, what always motivates me is 1) less energy when I don't work out (just feel like sleeping all the time) and 2) my dog Chaser needs his walk and runs to keep him from chewing on stuff.

Excellent post, Bobbi!

I agree 100% - JUST DO IT! Schedule your exercise, & mark it off when you're done. So let's us all put on our Big-Girl pants!

I just picked up "The Eat Clean Diet Recharged" by Tosca Reno (thanks Morgs)
even when you have a lot good ideas it helps to see how someone else explains it, more recipes, vegan menus, a whole host of things I haven't read about, motivation, metabolism, sure to shake up the regular routine...I think I eat too many of the same things...tons of ideas & for things I haven't tried & things I stopped making, like miso soup, I love that. It also is not calorie counting focused, without starving or obsessing, just clean eating.

Thank you all for the good ideas and viewpoints you've shared.. and what this has also done is make me dig deep down and see that it's also a time management issue... wasting time doing whatever ( not this ofcourse...) instead of reviewing what my original goals are ( health and fitness way up there) and developing ways to stick to it-- like with the workout manager.

BTW, I do get the magazine Clean Eating and have the first edition of the book, and although I really like it, have probably made only one or two of the recipes because I never seem to have all the ingredients. So maybe that needs to part of my goal revision plan too!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.