How to brew a good cup o joe?

janie1234

Cathlete
Any barista's out there? Can someone reccomend a really good coffee maker? Is it the coffee maker? The coffee? Both? Is it even possible to make a cup of coffee at home that tastes as good as coffee at the cafe?
Thanks in advance.

Oooh Janie! What a question! There are sooo many options. (Disclaimer: I spend my summers working in a coffee shop!) So the first question is, what type of coffee do you like? How many cups do you tend to brew at a time (or need to brew at a time)? What is your price range?

Lisa

I just reread your post. At first I thought you were just looking for a machine recommendation. I think the most important things are that the coffee beans need to be good and well roasted, they need to be fresh and you need to have your ratios right. I have a pretty cheap, hand-me-down coffee pot but with the right beans and ratios is makes fabulous coffee.

I like to buy my beans whole and grind my coffee at the store (my inexpensive coffee grinder always leaves it tasting a little scorched). Then I squeeze all the air out of the bag, close it and store it inside a large ziplock bag in the cupboard (away from light and heat). I brew only for myself and a pound bag stays fresh long enough for me to use it up this way. Don't put it in the fridge or freezer.

I like Starbucks (don't tell the lady I work for!) Sumatra when I'm brewing at home. Experiment and figure out what bean and roast you like. I like low acidity, full bodied coffees myself. Papua New Guineas (last year was not a good crop for them though) are another of my favorites. Not all roasters are created equal. Some brands I don't like their Sumatra, others I do. Experiment in small batches and figure out what you like.

The Starbucks bag recommends two tablespoons :eek: I think of grounds per cup (maybe I read that wrong?), I use about a tablespoon per cup. Consistent measuring is important and then you can adjust up or down to your taste. Good water is important too. If you filter your water to drink it, use filtered water to brew your coffee.

The Keurig K-cup coffee makers are beloved by a lot of people who only brew a couple of cups of coffee a day. The coffee is measured and sealed in little K-cups that you put in the machine and push a button to brew. They are clean, neat and consistent but the K-cups are a little pricey in the long term. I bought one for a friend and he loves it. I am almost tempted to get one but go through too much coffee for that to be reasonable for me. I also like the option of trying new coffees that I see at the store.

I like to think the coffee I make at home is better than a lot of what you find in cafes :)
Lisa

I wholeheartedly agree with everything lrayburn said. I could have written that post verbatim! The only thing I can add is that with the Keurig machine you can buy little filters that allow you to use your own coffee or tea leaves in them.

I like low acidity, full bodied coffees myself. Papua New Guineas (last year was not a good crop for them though) are another of my favorites. Not all roasters are created equal. Some brands I don't like their Sumatra, others I do. Experiment in small batches and figure out what you like.

I like to think the coffee I make at home is better than a lot of what you find in cafes :)
Lisa

This is exactly the way I like my coffee. It is so funny you talk about coffee the same way I do, . . .like a Sommelier/Wine Waiter. :) I thought I was crazy, . . when I would say not all coffee beans are created equal. I'm very picky about my coffee and have never been able to brew a good cup at home. I don't know if it is because of my machine or the way I make the coffee. I'll give what you suggested a try, . . . could be my water the more I think of it. I don't use filtered I use tap. I also use one heaping tablespoon of coffee per cup of water. I think I've seen the Papua New Guineas coffee at my Starbucks. Is that something that is always available? I have never tried a coffee press and heard that this was the best way to make coffee. I drink a lot of coffee :eek:

I think I've seen the Papua New Guineas coffee at my Starbucks. Is that something that is always available? I have never tried a coffee press and heard that this was the best way to make coffee. I drink a lot of coffee :eek:

A lot of places didn't carry Papua New Guinea this year (my coffeeshop didn't) because the crop wasn't a very good one. I haven't ever seen Starbucks offer Papua New Guinea in my area though so I don't know.

I have used a French press too and they are great but I find it hard to be consistent with the French press. In my experience, you need to time the brewing process and I have to wrap mine in a towel to keep it hot while its brewing (its a glass carafe). If you drink multiple cups it gets cold between the first and second cups or you have to brew each cup separately.

My boyfriend has one of the coffeemakers that has an enclosed reservoir for the coffee so it isn't exposed to air between cups and its great too. I'll have to check and see what brand his is. It is great for those of us who drink coffee all morning long.

Lisa

We only use a french press. I brew the pot, then I pour my first cup into an insulated mug and pour the rest into a big thermos so I can drink it all morning. Then I don't have to worry about it getting cold and when I go into the office, I just bring my thermos with me.

I like the french press because we also use it to brew loose tea and it's easy to wash up (just put in the dishwasher). We use an electric kettle to boil the water.

My husband buys DD Dark Roast and we like it.

I've noticed at Starbucks now that if you want a coffee they don't have brewed (like decaf), they can brew it by the cup. They grind the beans and put the coffee in a paper filter in a stand. Then they put the cup under the stand and pour hot water over the cofee and it simply drips through to the cup. Makes me think the coffee maker is not the important part of making coffee. It's the beans and the water.

We just use tap water, but we have good tap water in my area.

I really like percolator coffee. I used one for years before switching to to keurig, which I like more. My favorite coffee in the perc was regular maxwell house already ground. I tried grinding my own beans, but found it didn't make a difference to me. My mom has a jura(sp?) I don't like the coffee it makes, but don't tell her that. Melissa

Last edited:
I wholeheartedly agree with everything lrayburn said. I could have written that post verbatim! The only thing I can add is that with the Keurig machine you can buy little filters that allow you to use your own coffee or tea leaves in them.

I have a Keurig and have the reusable filter and I love it! It enables me to continue to make Gevalia as well as use the pods. AWESOME! :)

Ooh, I didn't know that! Now I want one for me too :D
Lisa

This won't be much help, but the best coffee I ever had was some that DH and I brought back from Costa Rica. My only regret is that we only bought 4lbs...but, now I see we can get it online! :p

http://www.cafemilagro.com/

Very tempted to try this. I wouldn't doubt it is good, . . .sounds like the real deal. The way coffee was made before it was so mass produced. Which one do you like?

My boyfriend has one of the coffeemakers that has an enclosed reservoir for the coffee so it isn't exposed to air between cups and its great too. I'll have to check and see what brand his is. It is great for those of us who drink coffee all morning long.

Lisa

Lisa is this a percalator? Love to know what this is and how to use it. I deffinitely think my coffee machine needs cleaning but I don't know how to. I wouldn't doubt that a dirty coffee machine and tap water affects the taste.
By the way Lisa I just got back from Starbucks and asked about the Papua New Guinea brand, . . they didn't have it and said that they haven't had that in a while.

Janie,
My boyfriend's pot and my pot at home are both automatic drip pots. Percolators are kind of old fashioned but some people love them. Most percolators look like this:
http://www.amazon.com/b?ie=UTF8&node=289746

In a percolator, the coffee is frequently recirculated up and through the grounds to extract them again. I feel this changes the flavor and prefer to brew a slightly stronger cup through a drip pot than percolate personally because I think the flavor is richer that way but everyone has their tastes.

Andy's coffee pot is similar to this one:
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Hamilton-Beach-12-Cup-BrewStation-Deluxe-Coffeemaker-47454/4029283

To clean your coffee pot - pour equal amounts of white vinegar and water into the reservoir where you would put the water and brew like you are making coffee but obviously with no grounds. The smell will be horrible. Let it sit for 15 or 20 minutes. Dump the vinegar mixture out of the carafe and run 3 or 4 brew cycles with clean water to rinse everything out. If there are parts that you can take out and handwash, do it now too (brew basket, etc). The vinegar removes any scale or hardwater build up from your machine. I then brew a pot of coffee that I throw out (good use for stale beans!) before I brew the first pot that I drink.

Actually, some of the very best coffee we drink is commercial coffee from Columbia (packaged for the grocery store there) that a friend brings back when he's down there for work but I can find Starbucks in the grocery store much more reliably :)

Lisa

Percolator

Here is a link for the perc I used to use:

http://www1.macys.com/catalog/product/index.ognc?ID=62796&PseudoCat=se-xx-xx-xx.esn_results

It is a plug in kind. Some of the older versions used to be stovetop. I would plug mine into a timer so it would be ready when I got up.

Also, there is a basket that sits on a post at the top of the inside of the machine. Water is pumped up the post into the basket with the coffee. The stength of the brew is based on how much coffee you use. I hope this helps. Melissa

French press all the way! I got one as a gift and was amazed. Best coffee flavor ever, so rich, but not at all bitter.

I only made two cups at a time, so I never had the issue of getting cold. In fact, I could never find a coffee maker that made coffee hot enough, so that was part of why I loved my little french press.

Notice: past tense. If you get a glass one, try not to drop it in the sink while you're washing it.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.