How old at children's birth?

I was 31 (near 32) when I had my son and 36 when I had my daughter. My DH was 40 and 44, respectively - DEFINITELY an older dad. We're in a similar situation to my parents with my brother & me. My in-laws had 3 kids in their early 20s.

Like many other people have said, it's a personal thing. I wasn't ready to have my kids before I did. And you do need to be ready. It can be really wearing, both physically and emotionally.

I was 24 when I had my DD and 29 when I had my DS. DH was 29 and 34. Our kids are 18 and 13 now. We had been married for 4 years b4 DD was born. I wouldn't change a thing. :)

My husband I have 7 children (yes, we also know how it happens:p). I was 26 and he was 24 when we had our first and I just bore our seventh at age 40. Pregnancy was much easier on my body when I was younger, even though I work out regularly, but that's just me.

As far as "risk" as one ages, statistically that is the case, however when I was 32 (low risk) we concieved a child who has down syndrome and a heart defect. He is our fourth. The three children we've had since then have all been typically-developing, although I was considered of "advanced maternal age".

I hope you and your husband are able to come to some agreement.

Maggie:)

I was 20 years old with first baby. 30 with 2nd baby, 32 with 3rd. And.........oh did I try to get another one in before I turned 35. I suppose my timing wasn't in God's plans....I do hope to have more before I turn 40 though!! The clincher is DH is 10 years my senior---

I was 29 with the first,35 with the second..............and MY hubby is 15 years my senior! (44 and 50 respectively!).........My hubby had 2 from his first marriage in his 20's and says that being older - the good news - he has TIME to spend with them both, having done the career thing, he has MORE patience because he knows what's important and what's not, he isn't rushing them to grow up because it goes too fast, and life and marriage is stable and secure (we're too old and burned out to have affairs or hassle each other!).....the DOWN side, largely because of my work in critical care, is that he knows that tragedy is indiscriminate and life can pull the ladder out from you at any moment, so he silently crosses himself and says a silent prayer every time 11 yr old son whizzes out on rollerblades or races around on bike etc....
Up north, my peer group all had kids in late 30's, some early 40's...and the family life was much more stable than the children born to younger parents - of COURSE I'm talking in GENERAL!

Kids are put on earth for 2 purposes, because they are all bougars, to worry you and embarrass you - and once or twice, moments of sublime joy that make life worthwhile.

I was 30 and 32 when I had my kids.

I agree with those who say any age is right but for anyone out there who's waiting until they're ready to have kids - you never are. Even if you think you are, you have no clue until you go through the experience of raising children yourself. For those who are waiting until they're established in their career - there will always be that next big assignment, career opportunity, whatever. If you and your SO are firmly established in a loving, stable relationship and you want to have kids, don't put it off too long.

The reason I'm saying this is because I'm from the other side of the equation. My parents were older when I was born (Mom 42, Dad 47). My case is a little different because I'm #11 of 12 children so it's not like my parents waited to have me. My mom was 24 when she had my oldest sister. A little thing called WWII delayed starting a family or I'd probably have a few more siblings. :p Yes, we're Catholic BTW.

Anyway, I always envied people whose parents were young enough to do more things with them and spend more time with the grandchildren. My dad died 5 years ago of lung cancer. DH also had older parents and they're both gone so my mom is their last grandparent. My mom is 86, has high blood pressure and trouble walking. I'm sad mainly for my kids because they don't have younger, more active grandparents like their friends do.

Don't get me wrong - I always loved my folks very much and appreciate every minute I spend with them. My dad was one of the smartest men I ever met. I oftentimes wish he was around so I could ask him his opinion. I just wish we could have had more time together. :(

I can't tell you how much reading all of your responses has helped me!! I am so enjoying reading about this important decision in your lives and how you all made it and how you all feel about it.

For all those who are questioning whether or not I even WANT kids to begin with: you are right, I'm somewhat struggling with that. I do think I want them eventually, but I ALWAYS saw myself being an older parent (i.e. later 30s).

I have been totally flabbergasted about DH's position on the kids thing because I remember having discussions before we ever got married, where I told him specifically that I wasn't sure I ever wanted kids, or if I did have them, it'd be later in life. I distinctly remember one time having this discussion at a Pizza Hut when a fellow patron's toddler children were screeching like banshees and throwing food at the next table over!! And his response was always "okay", that he didn't feel strongly about kids one way or another.

Then about 3-4 years ago (when he was about 27-28), he went into this crazy baby fever and now is claiming that he doesn't remember me saying anything about possibly not wanting children, and that he doesn't remember telling me that he was neutral either way. He claims he's always really wanted kids, and wanted them young!!! So I'm completely at a loss. He even told me once that he might consider leaving me if I decided I absolutely didn't want kids.

We've been arguing, discussing, bargaining, etc. about having kids ever since. It's kind of gotten to the point where I dread our families/friends asking "so, when are you guys having kids?" because DH always gives me this pointed, blaming look, and then I feel guilty because I'm "holding out" and "denying him children". (Since we've been married nearly 6 years and most of our friends have barely made it to the 2nd year of marriage without a pregnancy, we're an anomaly.)

I am warming up to the idea of kids (as I tell my mother, "it's starting to seem less repugnant"), but I'm still not 100% there yet. Although in the last 6 months I've made a pretty dramatic shift by my standards from "never want kids" to "someday might not be so bad".

For the record, my parents were young when I was born (I'm the eldest); they were married at 19 and had me at 21, and seeing what they had to go through (lack of money, lack of job stability, divorce) always made me nervous about kids.

Plus, my father basically abdicated all parental responsibility to my mother (didn't change diapers, didn't help with anything), which is something I'm worried about with DH. I think once the novelty of a baby wears off, he will leave me to all the dirty work and only start getting involved when he can attend their sporting events. (Which is kind of what he did when we got our dogs... once the novelty wore off, I'm the one who bathes them, feeds them, walks them, administers their medications, takes them to the vet, etc. He does some, but basically I do about 85% of it.)

Also for the record, DH was baby #2 and his parents were both 30 when they had him. His mother died of ovarian cancer at 56 (DH was 26) and he was SUPER close to her, so he feels like if he has kids in his 30s, he won't be around to see them grow up. (His dad is still 100% alive and kicking at 63-- today's his birthday!) So I kind of see his point, but his mom died young by most standards and she didn't manage her health well (she was a 2-pack-a-day smoker who had already had breast cancer; having breast cancer DOUBLES your risk of ovarian cancer and she had stopped seeing a gynecologist YEARS before, so by the time they found the ovarian cancer, it had spread everywhere.) But DH is convinced he'll die young and never see them grow up. Argh!

Anyway, this is so terribly long-winded, so I'll wrap it up. Sorry, this is like therapy! Haha!

The point is that I really appreciate your input, and I really appreciate being validated as far as my personal feelings go. I respect that DH is 100% ready, but I'm just not there yet, and he has to either accept that and wait me out or make some hard decisions regarding his commitment to our marriage and what he wants out of it.

Thank you all again.

MC

Yeah I think it's be settled as soon as my partner mentioned the possibility of leaving me if I didn't want children.. what if you start trying and one of you isn't able? Would he leave then? ..Ive known it to happen :-\

Yeah, we've talked at length about that, and he's said more recently that he'd rather have me with no kids than get a divorce, but still... it just adds to the pressure that he's ever said that at all.

Last night we had a long conversation where he apologized for putting so much pressure on me; he claims he didn't realize how badly it was stressing me out. We're going to make a "list" this week (priorities, goals, etc) and see if we can't come to an agreement.

I always thought it was the women who got baby fever!! I've never known another guy who reacted this way!! Argh!!

MC

DD#1 - I was 19, XH was 20
DD#2 - I was 28 (close to 29), DH was 38
DS - I was 32, DH was 41

DH is now 46 and has declared himself "too old" for anymore kids. Not that I can handle more anyway.

But 30 and 32 seems spring-chicken-like compared to my DH's age.

I'm another first at 37 second at 40 and had no problems. Even now at almost 48, if I did get pregnant again I wouldn't be at all concerned about my age. I'm healthy and there's a lot of longevity in my family, so having kids when I'm older isn't something that would bother me. I'm definitely in a different place from most of my classmates, many of whom are now becoming grandparents. Can't fathom that, as I sit here watching my 7 and 10 year olds. If they do things they way I did, I'll have grandkids around the time I'm 75-80!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.