How Often?

L Sass

Cathlete
Hello Cathe, and Happy New Year. I posted this over in the OD forum, but if YOU have any thoughts I've LOVE to hear them. I've recently deactivated my FB page, so if you have any thoughts to share over here I'd really appreciate it. THANKS for Xtrain. Loving it so far. Here is what I asked:

I am looking for some input from those of you who like to lift heavy and who may have done figure/physique competitions. I love to lift heavy, and one of my goals this year (I'll be 50) is to reach a 200# squat. My PR for this stands at 175#. I have tweaky hip flexors, and my back chain of the body is my weakest link. My glutes and hams are pretty weak. I love in the 100 rep challenges, as Cathe explains the neuro pathway connections, that she also explains we are only as strong as our weakest link.

I really think if I strenthen my back chain that my squat is achievable. BUT - I also have to not overwork my legs, and keep them rested for a heavy leg lift once a week. So that's my long-winded way of asking, on the 100-rep challenge for the hip thrust, how frequently would you all advise doing it? Thanks for any input.

Happy New Year Lorrie and good luck as you work toward achieving your goal for squats.

I would work the 100 rep hip thrusters 2 times per week (and no more than that) with a three day break in between.

However, since you mention striving for a new PR for squats, I think I am going to let my business partner Chris chime in here (I'll tell him about this post). He was a professional power lifter back in his day and he trained with a world class coach on technique. The squat is very technique driven and once you master the technique you can improve your lifting weight significantly. So hopefully he gets a chance to answer you soon.

:)

Hello Cathe, and Happy New Year. I posted this over in the OD forum, but if YOU have any thoughts I've LOVE to hear them. I've recently deactivated my FB page, so if you have any thoughts to share over here I'd really appreciate it. THANKS for Xtrain. Loving it so far. Here is what I asked:

I am looking for some input from those of you who like to lift heavy and who may have done figure/physique competitions. I love to lift heavy, and one of my goals this year (I'll be 50) is to reach a 200# squat. My PR for this stands at 175#. I have tweaky hip flexors, and my back chain of the body is my weakest link. My glutes and hams are pretty weak. I love in the 100 rep challenges, as Cathe explains the neuro pathway connections, that she also explains we are only as strong as our weakest link.

I really think if I strenthen my back chain that my squat is achievable. BUT - I also have to not overwork my legs, and keep them rested for a heavy leg lift once a week. So that's my long-winded way of asking, on the 100-rep challenge for the hip thrust, how frequently would you all advise doing it? Thanks for any input.

Hi L Sass,

Cathe asked me to jump here because Powerlifting is something I did for many years and squatting is something I've taught to many powerlifters since I retired from the sport.

Firstly, if your goal is to squat 200 lbs and your currently squatting 175 lbs by simply purchasing some powerlifting knee wraps and a powerlifting squatting suite you will be able to easily squat well over 200 lbs tomorrow (this assumes your currently not using wraps or a suit).

The next thing that can help you is changing or improving your technique. The secret to squatting heavy weight is to use your glutes and minimize the force on your leg muscle.

In my younger days I had the good fortune of meeting Larry Pacifico who is a nine time world Powerlifting champion and probably the greatest powerlifter who ever lived. Back then Larry used to teach a seminar and would guarantee he could improve anyone's squat by 50 lbs in one day or your money back if they attended his seminar. This was not done by improving a persons strength, but by improving their squatting technique. As far as I know Larry never had to give anyone their money back.

Here are some tips that I learned from Larry and from my own experience:

1. The first secret to squatting is to use your hips, not your legs. This gives you a mechanical advantage and reduced the distance you have to lift the weight. It also allows you to use the biggest muscles in your body - your Glutes instead of your legs.

2. Practice not moving your knees forward when you squat. The more your knees move forward the more you use your legs instead of your more powerful glutes. I suggest practicing without a bar. The best way to do this is to get two chairs and and put them about three feet apart and then place a broom stick so that it lays flat and horizontal to the ground at knee level on the seat of each chair. You should be standing in the middle of the two chairs with the broomstick about 1 inch away from your knees. Now try squatting without moving your knees. If you do move your knees you will know because they will hit the broomstick. Your arms should be in front of you for balance since you're not using a weighted bar to practice

3. When you practice your squat think of sitting back into an imaginary chair behind you and not moving your knees forward hitting the broomstick. Practice this until you feel comfortable to try this technique with weights using a squat rack.

4. Some other tips... The pressure should be on the heels of your feet when you squat. This will help to recruit more glutes. When you practice without a weighted barbell your toes will try to lift off the ground if you do this correctly.

5. Keep your neck neutral and in line with your spine when squatting. Don't let your head drop as your body will usually follow your head.

6. The bar should be placed on your back so that it stays in line with your knees (which should stay stationary).

I'm sure if go to you tube you can find some good videos on this that can help you further.

As for increasing your strength for the squat you will need to work in a low rep range cycling your workout over about two weeks decreasing reps and increasing your weight as you go. Let me know if you have any questions.

Thank you Chris - very helpful indeed. No, I do not currently use wraps or a suit. I'll look into those. I am good at pushing through the heels and not rocking forward to the toes, and it has helped a lot that I either wear wrestling shoes or go barefoot when squatting - never with cushioned tennies. This has helped me to feel the heel push much more.

I find that I need to focus on strengthening the glutes and hams more, and as I said in my question, I really believe that the 100 rep hip thrusts in Xtrain will help a lot. I greatly appreciate you and Cathe sharing this advice and taking the time to reply. Wishing you a very happy and prosperous new year.:D

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.