How often do you change your running/ aerobic shoes?

TXGin

Cathlete
Two Questions:
1. How often do you buy new running shoes? I used to trade them out around every 300-400 miles or so, but I don't run nearly as much. My current pair are 9 months old and have 180 miles on them.

2. How often do you buy new aerobic shoes? I have had my current pair for 7 months and I wear them about 4-5 days a week for step, kickbox, other cardio and weights.

TIA

For walking (speed walking) shoes and aerobics shoes, I always have at least two pairs that I alternate between (sometimes 3). That way, they have chance to dry out, and whatever may become compressed when I'm using them can uncompress (if something does compress!).

I will use two pairs of walking shoes per season (my 'season' lasts 6-8 months, from March through September/October/November, depending). One pair usually gets more use than the other (somehow my "alternating" is not as regular as I would hope!) so I replace it for the next season. The second pair I keep for a while into the next season.

For aerobics shoes, I don't really keep track of when I replace them (but I usually have a couple of pairs waiting in the wings, because when I find a style I like, I buy multiple pairs, over the course of a few months: you never know when your favorite style will suddenly be discontinued and replaced with something that sucks! LOL!). I go more by how they feel and how they look (and a vague feeling of how long I've been using them).

Gin

sounds like your running shoes don't need replacing just yet. You will know when all athletic shoes needs replacing because you will start to get tell tale aches and pains, and for every person these are different. For me, it is always strain and tightness, achy-ness around the achilles. Sometimes also the same sort of feeling around the knees. Confirmation? Using new shoes and the pains go away nearly immediately.

Clare

Like Clare I use my body as a guide. When my knee and my bunion hurt it is time for new shoes. And just like she said the pain goes away pretty much immediately.

Shayne

For running shoes, I tend to replace every 3-4 months depending on the season (I run a little less in the winter). I have a look at the bottom of the shoe for wear and tear. If treads are noticeably worn down, I replace them. I also replace them if I start to get that "thump thump thump" feeling when I run instead of a nice spring in my step.

I have to admit that I just wear old runners for aerobics. I go through so many insanely expensive running shoes that I can't afford special shoes for other cardio.

I agree with watching for those telltale aches. My ankles usually tell me when it's time for new sneakers! :)

Gin

sounds like your running shoes don't need replacing just yet. You will know when all athletic shoes needs replacing because you will start to get tell tale aches and pains, and for every person these are different. For me, it is always strain and tightness, achy-ness around the achilles. Sometimes also the same sort of feeling around the knees. Confirmation? Using new shoes and the pains go away nearly immediately.

Clare

YEP! I have to say, I am so bad with replacing aerobic shoes! I still have a pair from three years ago that I just can't throw away. They feel like air every time I put them on.

Hi Gin :D! The recommendation by shoe companies is always 3 to 4 months, however, like others have mentioned, I let my body tell me. Outside of obvious wear and tear to the shoe, I wait until my foot no longer feels as secure in the toe box, or I just feel the "earth beneath my feet" more than I care too. Also, as others mentioned, when those little aches and pains start to pop up when nothing else in your fitness program has changed drastically. Or when you find yourself thinking about your shoes more than your workout.

Hope this helps :)

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.