How much water is too much water?

amyleew

I have recently been keeping track of the amount of water I drink and I worked out that I usually around 4 to 5 liters per day.

Is it possible to drink too much water?

I live in a tropical climate but work in air-conditioning so it isn't because of the heat. I do a Cathe step workout 3 to 4 times per week but that is about it for exercise. I asked my doctor and my blood sugar levels are fine so he said to drink whatever I like but I have increased an extra liter since then. :confused: I've been on a Weight Watchers diet for a few months now and it is going fantastic... the only healthy eating plan that has ever worked for me but my friend said that if you drink too much water your stomach can stretch and if you don't drink enough after that you start to feel hungry. Does this sound true or just another diet rumor?

Are you actually thirsty or are you drinking the water just for the sake of getting enough? It is possible to overhydrate if your body doesn't need all the fluids that you take in and it can make your sodium levels drop. Have you ever tried weighing yourself before and shortly after a couple liters of water?

Does the water ever make you feel nauseous or dizzy?

Last edited:
I don't think I am drinking it because I am thirsty. Just out of habit and because it takes my mind off eating junk food in between meals.

I don't ever feel dizzy or nauseous but if I don't drink more than two liters a day I get a really bad headache.

I will try weighing myself throughout the day today. I got a set of scales for Christmas that say body water, muscle and stuff but I don't know how accurate they are. Not very I guess but it might give an idea. I just woke up so it is morning here and my body water is 51% before I have had anything to eat or drink.

My massage therapist told me to drink at least 3 liters per day because I workout 5x per week doing high intensity workouts.

All Cathe workouts are considered high intensity and so I make a point of drinking 3 liters regardless of whether I am thirsty or not. But like you, I do end up drinking 8x650 ml of water on most days (which is my workout days) and most of it is consumed during and after my workouts.

AYLE09 said:
Are you actually thirsty or are you drinking the water just for the sake of getting enough? It is possible to overhydrate if your body doesn't need all the fluids that you take in and it can make your sodium levels drop. Have you ever tried weighing yourself before and shortly after a couple liters of water?

Does the water ever make you feel nauseous or dizzy?

So weird I thought it was just me on the feeling of nausea when I drink to much water

There is a pregnant woman in the office where I work and she says the doctor tells her she MUST drink AT LEAST 1.5 GALLONS of water a day! She practically lives in the bathroom. Every 15 minutes. (I know this because my office is near the bathroom.)

Now my question is this.....does she really need 1.5 gallons of water a day? I realize being pregnant changes things, but really. That much water?

Yes mackenzie, it's more important that she drinks that much since she is bearing a child. It's more important to drink that much especially in her case because the fetus needs more water to get more oxygen inside the womb.

There is a pregnant woman in the office where I work and she says the doctor tells her she MUST drink AT LEAST 1.5 GALLONS of water a day! She practically lives in the bathroom. Every 15 minutes. (I know this because my office is near the bathroom.)

Now my question is this.....does she really need 1.5 gallons of water a day? I realize being pregnant changes things, but really. That much water?

That is too much. Remember everything in moderation

Well Water is necessary for everybody to live. Water, has so many benefits
to our body. We should always drink healthy water. So drink water every day
nine to ten glass daily.

A nutritionist at an athletic training conference recommended consuming 1 oz per lb of body weight on average. Adjust accordingly due to increased sweating, lack of clean eating, etc...

It seems to me that it's necessary to listen to your body and drink as much water as you want and not as much as you need according to some diets. If there is even a need for dieting, it should be strictly chosen and necessarily by a professional.

Nevertheless, generally, an adult man needs about 3 liters of water per day while an adult woman has to drink about 2 liters of water per day. Because of the rush of city life, we forget about this essential need. So, you can remind yourself if you are too worried. There are special drink water reminder apps.

Last edited:
How much water is too much depends on the size of the person and what they eat.

Even though we don't rely solely on pure water to live, fluid balance is necessary for people to be able to function and survive, so exceeding your intake either by drinking or not drinking enough can lead to serious health problems such as water intoxication. And that's just one of the reasons why too high an amount of water is usually bad news. If you're feeling confused about how often you should drink fluids, talk with a doctor. They'll likely recommend 8-16 ounces every hour while awake.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.