How much is too much exercise? Is my plan too much?

extrafor6

I own four Cathe videos: the new ones, To The Max and Crossfire, along with High Reps and Muscle Max. I'm embarrassed to admit that I've never used any of them because I'm not sure how. Running is my first love and I run four days a week, about 20 miles total. I will do Jillian's 30 Day Shred on my non-running days.
I want to increase my fitness with weights and more circuit training. But, I don't want to overdo it and want my body to have time to recover. I've read that you should take 48 hours off from weights, but is that just heavy weights? Could I do either High Reps or Muscle Max one day and Crossfire the next? I have done Les Mills Body Pump extensively in the past.
My initial thoughts are
Monday:run 5 miles and High Reps or MM
Tuesday: TTM or Crossfire
Wednesday: run 8-10 miles
Thursday: TTM or Crossfire
Friday: run 5 miles and High Reps or MM
Saturday: run 3 miles, pilates
I hope this makes sense. Thanks!

Hi extra,

I admire your go-get-'em attitude!

While I don't think it hurts to do a circuit workout the day before a strength/endurance workout (since the muscles are being used differently) I do think that the amount of impact you are placing on your body is not sustainable on a weekly basis.

Also, I believe that a circuit workout after a strength/endurance workout would interfere with your muscle recovery and would actually be counterproductive to your strength goal.

If your body is screaming at you to take an additional day off (Wednesday or Thursday workouts - or replace with Yoga/Stretch/walk/swim) then definitely listen to your body.

Overuse injuries are not fun!
Good luck!

My main reason for not cross-training more is that I don't have access to a gym or a pool. Should I replace the circut type workouts with the strength and just run 4 days, strength 2 days?? I love the challenge of the circut/boot camp workouts but don't want to give up running.
My goals are better overall fitness, strength and to reduce my bodyfat.
Thanks!

Did you by chance take a look at the July 2012 rotation that Cathe posted. She does discuss the new workouts being used with wieight workouts.

Good luck.

Jo

It's important to know what you are and are not willing to give up:)

Maybe others will be able to chime in with some different ideas; and it'd be a shame for you to not utilize your Crossfire and To The Max DVDs. I haven't really looked into the premixes but there are some low impact options (I believe) and there might be one for using no weights - or maybe just don't use weights so your muscles can recover... I'm sure it would still be a good workout.

However your idea to do strength 2 days and run 4 days seems much nicer to your body than your original plan.

Monday:run 5 miles and High Reps or MM
Wednesday: run 8-10 miles
Thursday: TTM or Crossfire
Friday: run 5 miles and High Reps or MM
Saturday: run 3 miles, pilates

Don't give up your running. It is your first love, so prioritize it.

I would reduce CF or TTM to once per week. Why do you need more? Principally, it is a workout designed to improve overall stamina, and with the running you do, you have that in spades. What these new workouts do that distance running doesn't is challenge your fast twitch muscle fibres, so that's a good thing. However, I agree with the poster who suggested that running *4 per week and CF or TTM *2 per week is a lot of impact. If this startes to threaten your running, how would that make you feel? Play it safe: prioritize running, keep CF and/or TTM to once per week only.

Another suggestion: how are you changing up your running? Is it steady state for the prescribed mileage each time? Time to introduce variety, for the sake of your mind, your body and to become a better runner. Make that short run on Saturday an interval or fartlek run involving timed sprints. This will improve cardio efficiency, leg turnover, running economy and your overall ability to run faster. Yes it will!

Another suggestion: on Monday, a 5 mile run and High reps or MM is too much: it doesn't prioritize either running or endurance muscle training. So, what's the point, other than to exhaust yourself? Split these two workouts up. Follow the 5 mile run with yoga. Your body could really use it and it is kinder to you overall. The added elasticity will pay dividends in avoiding running injuries.

So, my revamped week for you looks like this:

Monday: run 5 miles (easy miles) and yoga
Wednesday: run 8-10 miles (long run)
Thursday: High Reps
Friday: run 5 miles (tempo run) and pilates
Saturday: run 3 miles (interval training), Muscle max (if you must, but put a break in between workouts)

If this makes you excessively tired, either take out the CF/TTM day or take out the 3rd run and just make it a yoga/pilates/walking day. Even this revamping isn't perfect because, ideally, the day after a long run should be an easy leg day, to let those muscles recover. Play around with this timetable and see if you can make this happen.

There is a fabulous book published that promotes a running training method based on just 3 runs per week. If you insist on adding Cathe cardio to your running week, you will have to compromise sometimes and eliminate one run. Otherwise, dreadful fatigue, possible injury will follow. Unless you are either 22 years old or a distant cousin to Scott Jurek! My running improves visibly with 3 or less running workouts per week, so I am proof, aged 47, that you don't need to run every day to be a runner and get better at this sport.

Good luck,

Clare

Claire my question is cant a person lose weight running only 307watts days? Im 42. I just started loving running. But after a 6 months plantar fascitis. I cant run at all yet. I had same sceduale as then OP. I was told im over training. But I didnt lose so if up slack up how cant up lose thos? Thanks ..

Renee:

I am having difficulty understanding your question and description. Any chance you could re-write and clarify for me?

Clare

Lol sorry... Phone and autocorrect and sneaking reading at work made me do a bad post.. I couldnt even read it!
I was asking do you think a person can lose by running just three times a week?
I ran plus , cathe plus her strength workouts. I got confused how to do it. a few people saidl i may be overtraining. But I still didnt lose weight.

Now I have PF and back hurting. I know my body would thank me if I could lose. So now im stuck just spinning and upper body til everything heals. Hoping ill lose some spinning so when I run again I wont get PF acting up again. I love jogging. I go slow my fastest is 10: 30 minute mile but if im not doing great it is 12 minutes mile.
So if I havnt lost with a heavey sceduale how cant I lose on three days a week?

I really appreciate all of the advice. I suffered a overtraining injury about four years ago and I still have lingering achilles tendonosis.

So, my revamped week for you looks like this:

Monday: run 5 miles (easy miles) and yoga
Wednesday: run 8-10 miles (long run)
Thursday: High Reps
Friday: run 5 miles (tempo run) and pilates
Saturday: run 3 miles (interval training), Muscle max (if you must, but put a break in between workouts)

So, hearing what you all have to say, I think I will cut my running to three days a week and do one long day, one tempo day, and one interval day still maintaining around 18-20 miles a week. My goal with running is to improve to maintain a 5K time of around 21:00 minutes (currently in the 22's)
However, my overall goal is to lose some weight and lower my bodyfat.
So, if I don't run on Saturday, then would you suggest I do another weight session or another aerobic session?
Thanks again!
Stephanie

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.