How much do I "need" CTX?

TXGin

Cathlete
I know I probably should have posted this on the video thread, but I thought I would get a better response over here.
I have all of Cathe's dvds except CTX, Cardio Hits and The Classics. I do have Leaner Legs, Step Fit and Step Works on vhs though.
How much do I really need CTX?? If I have all the others, will I use it enough to make the $90. worth it?

TIA,
Gin:)

Depends on what other "parts" videos you have. 4DS is a close approximation.

I haven't done CTX in literally years! I think your answer depends on what you already have and how you work out.

I would not spend money on CTX given that:

1. you already have LL on VHS, and that's the best thing about the series, I think
2. you already own plenty of endurance weight training DVDs of Cathe's, so you are not missing out on the CTX upper body exercises.
3. if you have 4DS, then you have plenty of 25-30 min shorter cardios from Cathe, and if you have Drill Max, Low Impact Circuit, Step Blast, RS, BM2, then you have newer and better cardio than that included on CTX.

Save you cash for the MMA project, if and when...

Clare

I just purchased CTX (along with a large chunk of other Cathe DVDs in order to sustain my collection while I'm overseas). Anyway, I used it for the first time last night - all step/shoulders/abs. It was actually a really good workout. Granted, I've been on a WO hiatus for about 3 weeks because I moved but I still was laughing when I realized I chose CTX to start with because I thought it would be "easier." What was I thinking?

I do like the shorter time frame for the workouts and I think that it's a good way to jump start my exercise routine again.

I will say that I purchased it primarily because I hope to follow as many rotations as possible and I noticed Cathe uses Leaner Legs quite a bit. Silly to spend $90 on one workout but I think I'll use the other ones. :)

In my opinion, you can't go wrong with another Cathe workout. I haven't been disappointed yet and it's always nice to have a bit of variety.

And Katie, I thought you had them all!;)

Have fun!
angie

I actually LOVE CTX. Personally, I like it way more than 4DS. The cardio workouts are so easy to follow but are a full 30 minutes of sweat. They are higher impact than 4DS (w/ the exception of bootcamp), but easy to modify w/o losing intensity. Also, in CTX Cathe's cueing is impeccable so you can do each one the first time through w/o rewinding. The KB has a 5 min. warm up, which I prefer if I'm doing a short cardio workout. Cathe's form is better in 4DS but she doesn't do as much kicking/LB work in it because it's supposed to be followed by the 4DS leg workout. (I prefer to kick more than box.) Power Circuit is actually my favorite LB circuit workout because Cathe does some fun step-kickbox choreo in it.

Leaner Legs is killer (as you know Gin!) because of the active rests. I like the 10 minute per UB part because it really goes fast. The dvd is so well chaptered w/ a separate UB workout that you can EASILY jump straight to whatever UB part you want to work. You don't have to match them up as they are originally designed. The plank work after the KBx workout is nicely brutal. I like all the "rope climbing" oblique work she does during the other 3 ab routines. I prefer it to some of the newer oblique work that has become in-fashion.

While this is all subjective, everyone seems to be having fun in CTX! They are all so cute and bouncy and Cathe is so giggly and encouraging.

Lastly, I recently tried to buy a VHS only machine and there were none to be found outside of second-hand stores. Even the selection of dvd/vcr players is dwindling fast. (I fear for my Taebo Lives VHS collection).

So, my lone opinion but I really think CTX is wonderful, versatile, hard work and fun.

Does anyone have a good suggestion for an order to do these in? I started with all step last night. I figured 3/6 would have ab segments but 4/6 do. I also don't want to do leaner legs after power circuit (I'm assuming) so I'm just trying to figure out which day to do what.

Did Cathe release an original guide to the best order since it was a 6 day split?

CTX

I know I probably should have posted this on the video thread, but I thought I would get a better response over here.
I have all of Cathe's dvds except CTX, Cardio Hits and The Classics. I do have Leaner Legs, Step Fit and Step Works on vhs though.
How much do I really need CTX?? If I have all the others, will I use it enough to make the $90. worth it?

TIA,
Gin:)

I love the short cardios, but the weight training is kind of out of date. To me, it may be worth it for the cardio & Leaner Legs.

Does anyone have a good suggestion for an order to do these in? I started with all step last night. I figured 3/6 would have ab segments but 4/6 do. I also don't want to do leaner legs after power circuit (I'm assuming) so I'm just trying to figure out which day to do what.

Did Cathe release an original guide to the best order since it was a 6 day split?

For cardio/lb wts, you could do:

All Step
Leaner Legs
Kickbox
Power Circuit
10-10-10
Step & Intervals

For the abs, you could do them day 2, 4, 6 & 7 (your rest day). Or just do abs 3x/wk and forget about one routine each week.

UB work suggestion:

Chest
off
Back
Shoulders
Biceps
Triceps

HTH!

Last edited:
Would it not make sense to do the upper body work that is with the cardio workouts the way it is originally intended? Like could I do them fully in the order that you listed but do the entire workout?

Would it not make sense to do the upper body work that is with the cardio workouts the way it is originally intended? Like could I do them fully in the order that you listed but do the entire workout?

Personally, I try to never do back to back step workouts because my knees don't like it, especially if there's much impact in the workout. I also think it's better to change things up each day anyway so you work different muscles and avoid overworking ligaments, joints etc.

Sure, you could do them as originally paired but it really doesn't make any difference. Cathe's cardio/LB segments are versatile enough to mix and match w/ any UB part. The beauty of the CTX DVD is the awesome UB workout where it lists each UB part as a separate chapter so it's incredibly easy to skip to whatever one you want. Same thing w/ the abs. Pick what you want from the all abs section.

There's no guide, but the workouts are in a specific order on the discs (but not the order I'd recommend).

I suggest you do power circuit, then the chest workout, then take a day off, then legs, then shoulders (or switch these two around), then biceps, then triceps.

As to the OP's question. I have mixed feelings about CTX.
The pros:
Cathe is at her motivational best in these.
The workouts are time-efficient.
The weight workouts are some of Cathe's best, IMO.

The cons:
Lots of step (4 out of the 6 workouts: too much per week for some people)
Lots of impact (Cathe hadn't yet figured out that you can do high-intensity workouts without high impact)
Some moves are space hogs (ie: the hi-lo/step combo workout, with some moves going all around the step).
Lots of zzzzz power 7's and power 15's

I do think CTX is good paired with 4Ds, for some cardio variety (instead of so much step). You could replace one of the step workouts with KB or Bootcamp (or whatever that one is), and/or one of the high-impact step workouts in CTX with the lower-impact step workout from 4DS.

After taking all the pros and cons into account, look at the clips again and see if these appeal to you or not.

Personally, I try to never do back to back step workouts because my knees don't like it, especially if there's much impact in the workout. I also think it's better to change things up each day anyway so you work different muscles and avoid overworking ligaments, joints etc.

ITA
I tried a CTX rotation as-is, and by week two, my funky knee was telling me it didn't like it! (And I did modify some).

intensity question

Is 4-DS easier or more intense than CTX? I'm still somewhat intermediate and I'm easing into Cathe's workouts. Thanks.

I love CTX because I love one body part a day. That way, I can go heavy, although CTX weight is more endurance work. I also love the 30 min cardio -- short and intense. The only fall back I see is there are a little too many stepping. I would sub with one cardio for some other type of cardio. Anyway, the cardio is good for time crunched days!

I have good luck ordering from Amazon Marketplace; they are cheaper. Some are used. I would look for a private seller rather than volume seller. I'm leary about volume seller as they might be a rental or bootleg.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.