How Many Had COVID?

I don’t mean to be morbid, but I was wondering how many of the Catheletes got COVID and survived it??

I haven’t had it yet. I have the vaccine twice and the booster shot. I have even given blood this January. I have O negative blood, so the blood bank wants me to give it if I can. I am not bragging on myself, it is what it is.

My husband’s sister household has it, or had it. They live across the street. We don’t really go over there. When her son had it, my family never went over there.

Last year my stepson got COVID, but my husband and I never got it. We never were tested because we didn’t had symptoms.

Sometimes to me it feels like COVID is like the good old days of Chicken pox parties, where one kid was infected, so you wanted your kids to get it. Because getting it as an adult you could die from it. Now, there is a chicken pox vaccine, so kids don’t get the shock of the virus,

Don’t get me wrong. I don’t want to get really sick. I was wondering if doing intense exercise help with avoiding it?

Hope you are feeling good,

Jennifer Denny

I'm not really sure I understand all that you're asking, but yes, I have had Covid. It resulted in myopericarditis for nearly five months in 2020. I know people here on this forum and IRL who have been affected/lost loved ones and friends. Two of my neighbour's children have organ inflammation/a "long haul" covid condition.

Since it's spread is aerosol/airborne, I don't see how exercise can prevent that. In fact, in my city, spin classes turned into super spreader events where nearly everyone became sick. A childrens' dance tournament, same story.
Can keeping your pulmonary system (heart & lungs) conditioned help your body deal with a viral infection? Maybe. But it is highly dependent on variables of the individual and the strain, viral load etc etc. I would highly recommend speaking to a licensed clinician and your local health authority/hospital etc to get the most up-to-date information as there seems to no end to disinfo campaigns online. I don't mean that in any condescending manner. It just seems to be how this goes.
Also, please try to remember all of the vulnerable people in our communities. People like my Dad who is a cancer survivor, who suffers from asthma and who has had cardiac events. He would not be someone who has low symptoms for 6 days and then it's over. Every soul matters. We may assume that the young person serving our morning to-go coffee will be just fine, but she may very well have a senior at home, a sibling with CF or a serious autoimmune condition. Trying to keep 6/7 feet away, getting your vaccine, staying home if you've been exposed etc., is the least we can all do.

((Take care Cathe friends))

I found in the past that if I got the flu, my exercising made it less severe and it didn't last long. I haven't had covid but I also have never been tested for it since the tests are not very reliable. I get tested for antibodies since that is accurate. I have no antibodies so I've never had it. I am also not vaccinated. I know many people in health care that did not even realize they had covid because they had no symptoms or thought it was the flu. I also think a main thing that many people take for granted is how often they touch their faces in public and never really clean their hands while in public. Since being in health care for so long, both my husband and I, have always cleaned our hands before getting in the car and we are very conscious of not touching our faces. Since doing this, neither of us have been sick with anything for well over 10 yrs. I know nothing if fool proof, but people just need to do what's best for them to protect themselves.

Thank you all for giving me your comments.

My stepson friend got COVID, but he hasn’t. Where I live in West Virginia people are popping positive all over the place, except for me and my husband. My husband’s mother got it.
As for me, I don’t hang out with different people.
Because of my personality I try not to be near people in line. When they were forcing the 6 foot rule, I loved it because I didn’t have people next to me.

The only place I go is the gym, but I bring my own equipment. I go there because there isn’t much room for my step, so it is easier there.
I go to my WW meetings, but now they want us to wear a mask.

I am sorry for those that people lost due to this disease.

I personally try to avoid going out as much as possible and when I do go shopping, I go early in the morning when the shops are quieter and it is easier to socially distance. I am self-employed and work from home with only the occasional site visit, and current Government restrictions mean I can only visit sites where everybody is vaccinated. I am also currently refusing to do site visits where I am required to fly due to the risk of being exposed to Covid either in an airport or on a plane.

While many other countries have been living with Covid for some time, here in New Zealand we haven't had widespread Covid infections. The worst to date was Delta last year which was mainly centered in Auckland (where I live), but at the same time Auckland was in lockdown and we were getting vaccinated which significantly reduced the number and severity of infections.

Now we are just starting to see Omicron take off and expectations are that it will peak sometime in mid to late March. While we have cases all over the country, the majority of cases so far are in the upper North Island. We recorded the highest number of community cases in a day last Saturday, 243 cases. So the thought of having thousands of cases a day is very new and strange to us. All the news we've had to date is that for most people Omicron is a milder illness but it can still be dangerous for some people, especially if they have underlying health conditions.

The real issue for us here is that our health care system has been grossly underfunded for years with some facilities around the country unfit for purpose and a serious shortage of medical workers. Even in the last year a significant number of nurses have moved overseas for better pay and working conditions. So there is a real concern that our health care system will quickly be overwhelmed with Covid cases and those with other medical conditions won't receive the care they need.

Take care fellow Cathletes!

I've always thought that exercise can help you prevent some virus based illnesses but have never seen any research on it... my thinking is if you exercise and raise your internal body temp a couple degress (almost like a fever) maybe it helps kill stuff before they start growing in your system???? I have heard/seen some reasearch somewhere along the way that sweating is a great way to clear the body of toxins so maybe similar ideas?

Anyway, double vaxx'd but not boosted and got COVID a couple weeks ago. I think Omnicron. I feel for those who did the original variant and Delta - I think those were so much worse!

Thank you all for giving me your comments.

My stepson friend got COVID, but he hasn’t. Where I live in West Virginia people are popping positive all over the place, except for me and my husband. My husband’s mother got it.
As for me, I don’t hang out with different people.
Because of my personality I try not to be near people in line. When they were forcing the 6 foot rule, I loved it because I didn’t have people next to me.

The only place I go is the gym, but I bring my own equipment. I go there because there isn’t much room for my step, so it is easier there.
I go to my WW meetings, but now they want us to wear a mask.

I am sorry for those that people lost due to this disease.
I'm like you. I loved not having people stand next to me during the beginning. I always have shopped early morning because I hate crowds. I don't go out other than dr's appointment and right now radiation therapy, having to go 5 days a week for 6 weeks is the most I've left the house since I quit working. Best of luck to everyone and stay healthy and safe.

My husband and I both unexpectedly contracted covid in August 2020. From the start of the pandemic, we have always been super careful because I knew that with his underlying health conditions - heart disease, diabetes, chronic kidney disease - that he is super high risk. I wore a mask as soon as you could even get them in the stores, I still do even though I'm fully vaccinated.

Our next door neighbor Michael had spinal fusion surgery in late July 2020 and on August 1, my husband and I had to go to his house a few times to help him get from his chair to his walker to use the restroom. We didn't wear masks and we knew that he tested negative for covid before his surgery. 3 days later, my husband told me in the late afternoon that he wasn't feeling good. This man isn't ever sick so I knew something wasn't right. I took his temp....100.5. I freaked out, put on a mask and called my neighbor to see if they were OK. Her daughter Gina said that she wasn't feeling well either and was napping, but she would take her temperature and call me. Gina called me in about 30 minutes and her mom had 100.5 fever. Gina's husband is a nurse and he brought home two covid antibody tests from work and both my husband and Gina's mom Marie, were negative.

On Thursday morning Marie called me and said that they had to take Michael back to the hospital because he was in a lot of pain from the surgery, but he also tested positive for covid. I told my husband and he went to his primary care dr and tested negative. By Friday of that week, I was wearing two masks around the house and I ended up having some aches and chills over the weekend and got a covid test on a Monday and my results were negative. My husband wasn't critically ill at this point, but he wasn't feeling great. By the next week he wasn't getting better, so I took him to a freestanding ER with hopes he would be admitted to the hospital because he wasn't eating and was very weak. He called and said he was told he had covid pneumonia per the chest x-ray, but tested negative and was being sent home. He seemed to be a bit better the next day and then Friday of that week, he was weak, not eating and I took him back to his primary care dr. At that point, I was told to take him straight to the ER and I had to drop him off because I wasn't allowed in. He was still testing negative, but was told his chest x-ray showed covid pneumonia.

Meanwhile, at my next door neighbor's house, Gina's husband Don and her daughter Meg, who are both RN's and were there to help Michael, were both sick and covid positive along with Marie. I was starting to get a bit of a cough, but didn't think anything of it, because it wasn't the hacking, keep me awake all night cough I'd have with upper respiratory infections. I was still doing some light cardio. When I called my husband the next morning, I was so thankful that he wasn't intubated and on a ventilator. I had a televisit with my primary care Dr's PA and was told to get an antibody test. I went to a small urgent care clinic to get one and was offered a chest x-ray. I went ahead and got it and ended up having very mild pneumonia that a z-pack cleared up right away. My husband was stable and finally came home after 9 days in the hospital on steroids and supplemental oxygen. It took him several weeks to fully get on his feet. Thankfully I was never sick enough to not be able to walk the dog or pick up meds at the pharmacy.

Sadly, Michael wasn't getting better and got to the point where he just gave up on living. He passed away on August 26 and will never be forgotten. He was a wonderful husband, step-father, grandfather, friend and neighbor. He was a local business owner and worked very hard to provide for his family. He will be forever missed.

My first few workouts after my chest x-ray was normal and my PA cleared me to workout were pretty tough. I felt totally spent just doing 30 minute "easy" stuff. I eased back into things and was back at full speed by October. Everyday is a gift, every workout is a gift. Its given me a whole new way of looking at things.

I’ve always tried to think of others during this pandemic but hearing your stories are really such good reminders. I’ve always tried to remain thankful for the ability to be able to workout. It’s a blessing. I hope you all stay healthy and safe.

I am so sorry for what others have been through, but I am still unsure what to think of the pandemic for the following reasons…..

My best friend, her husband and daughter were all vaccinated, boostered and yet were home sick with COVID this winter.
Meanwhile, I am unvaccinated, never wear a mask if I can help it, go to restaurants, bars and family gatherings, yet I have not only not have COVID, but I haven’t been sick at all. How to account for it??

I think it's going to be several years yet until science gets rock solid evidence and answers on the commonalities in those who contracted it and got ill, those who contracted it and didn't have any symptoms, and those who never contracted it at all. It's such a confusing virus. A great friend of mine got Omni a couple months ago, got really sick - fortunately not to the point of hospitalization - but no one else in her home got sick. Not her kids, not her husband, and she told me no one was particularly careful about social distancing in their home while she was sick. It's just so weird.

For me, I'm just trying to do the best I can to ensure I don't end up sick from it nor spread it, so that means being fully vaccinated and boosted, staying home if I don't feel well, as well as following recommended mask mandates and social distancing. I also do my shopping early in the mornings and I wear gloves and a mask when I'm in the store. This might be a habit I maintain indefinitely until they come out with an actual cure (which doesn't sound likely.)

I think it's going to be several years yet until science gets rock solid evidence and answers on the commonalities in those who contracted it and got ill, those who contracted it and didn't have any symptoms, and those who never contracted it at all. It's such a confusing virus. A great friend of mine got Omni a couple months ago, got really sick - fortunately not to the point of hospitalization - but no one else in her home got sick. Not her kids, not her husband, and she told me no one was particularly careful about social distancing in their home while she was sick. It's just so weird.

For me, I'm just trying to do the best I can to ensure I don't end up sick from it nor spread it, so that means being fully vaccinated and boosted, staying home if I don't feel well, as well as following recommended mask mandates and social distancing. I also do my shopping early in the mornings and I wear gloves and a mask when I'm in the store. This might be a habit I maintain indefinitely until they come out with an actual cure (which doesn't sound likely.)
Kellyro77, I do the same things as you do to prevent from getting Covid. Some people don't take these precautions and never get sick, maybe their immunity system is very strong, so that's great for them, I wish I had a stronger immune system. Whatever the case, I am also going to continue with the same habits you have (masks, social distancing, etc.) until science can find out more about this virus and that I feel safe.

Vaccinations were pretty effective against Delta but not Omicron. What the vaccination does is prevent most people (but not all) from getting really sick where they may end up in hospital. Unfortunately even fully vaccinated and boosted people can catch and pass on Omicron, so vaccine passes and mandates aren't as effective. Also, as we are seeing now in New Zealand, there are an increased number of deaths from Covid as we have a larger number of people with Covid than we ever had before. With every virus there is always going to be a certain percentage of the population that for some reason are naturally immune. There has already been some talk about this with Covid and the scientists are trying to figure out what makes these people immune.

For me, I never had Chicken Pox or was vaccinated against it and was exposed twice in my late teens and early twenties but never caught it. I also don't get the flu vaccine and hardly ever get sick in winter, and if I do it is usually a mild cold that lasts about 3 days. But with Covid I'm not taking any chances. I am fully vaccinated and boosted, I don't go out as much, I wear a mask when I'm out, socially distance, shop early in the morning etc.

It is March 25, 2022. I haven’t got COVID yet, but I did get a cold in my nose. It is funny when you workout with a cold after the workout you get a lot of drainage out. Never got a cough. I was really lucky. It seemed to me that people were getting stuffy noses left and right, but no COVID. I am fine now.
I was socially distancing myself 6 feet from everyone ever since I was born. Glad to know it is now the style. Just wish they would bring back Cathe’s flare black pants in her older videos like Hardcore and Basic Step back in style.

By the way, I was in the Navy and I have to say at the time I loved my bellbottoms dungaree pants and white bell bottom dress pants!

Just wish they would bring back Cathe’s flare black pants in her older videos like Hardcore and Basic Step back in style.
Love bootcut yoga pants. I had a favorite pair with a specific cut that I liked and I asked my mother, who knows how to sew, if she felt she could replicate them. They were a relatively easy pattern, so I gave her the old set to dismantle and create a pattern from and bought the materials for them. Lo and behold I've ended up with seven pair.

So - if you have a favorite pair that's about to expire, you could always take them to a seamstress and see if they can make several pair for you... no need to search far and wide for the same thing since fashion is always changing so fast.

I'm sorry but I am probably not going to be posting here anymore. I do not appreciate being attacked for my person choice of not getting vaccinated against covid. Me not getting vaccinated does not endanger or harm anyone around me. I got a personal message from someone here telling me I'm criminal by not being vaccinated. I thought this was a free place to state your feelings but clearly not. I have not told anyone here not to get vaccinated because that is a person choice. I've been here for years and have never felt this way before. I've always looked to my fellow catheletes for great advice and even to make me feel better when things are going bad. I hope this does not happen to anyone else here because this is an awful feeling. Sorry to burden anyone with this, but this will probably be good bye to all the nice people out there. Stay safe and healthy.

I'm sorry but I am probably not going to be posting here anymore. I do not appreciate being attacked for my person choice of not getting vaccinated against covid. Me not getting vaccinated does not endanger or harm anyone around me. I got a personal message from someone here telling me I'm criminal by not being vaccinated. I thought this was a free place to state your feelings but clearly not. I have not told anyone here not to get vaccinated because that is a person choice. I've been here for years and have never felt this way before. I've always looked to my fellow catheletes for great advice and even to make me feel better when things are going bad. I hope this does not happen to anyone else here because this is an awful feeling. Sorry to burden anyone with this, but this will probably be good bye to all the nice people out there. Stay safe and healthy.
Oh no firemedic, so sorry to hear that. I agree with you, getting vaccinated or not is a personal decision and no ones knows the reasons a person decides not to get vaccinated or to get vaccinated. Well, I wish you would stay and not let that 1 person deny you the helpful information you have received in the past. I hope you are still around. Remember there are people out there that say things without knowing your position, reason, etc and they don't need to know why, it's none of their business.

Your medical decision is no one’s business. People are mean. Maybe change your privacy settings so they can’t send personal messages?
And stay?

I'm also sorry that you've been attacked for sharing. I appreciate that you were open with your thoughts and agree with the others that you should not have to defend your personal medical decisions. Please don't let the meanness of a few tarnish the community as a whole. I would hope that the majority still value and practice kindness and tolerance. Please don't go away. I appreciate your contributions to the forum.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.