How in the world do you do a.....

SheWolf

Cathlete
"Bent-Over Straight-Arm Dumbbell Lat Pull"?

This was in my rotation on Friday for back and I googled it but found nothing. So I did what I thought it was and not sure I did it right.

There seems to be something wrong with the name of that move.
I can't imagine how one is both bent over and doing a dumbell lat pull.

(Kind of like the "lying crossbody kickback" is misnamed: you can't kick "back" if you're lying down. It's a "lying crossbody EXTENSION")

There seems to be something wrong with the name of that move.
I can't imagine how one is both bent over and doing a dumbell lat pull.

(Kind of like the "lying crossbody kickback" is misnamed: you can't kick "back" if you're lying down. It's a "lying crossbody EXTENSION")

Exactly, Kathryn. Which is why I can't figure out for the life of me what they want me to do. Someone suggested you raise your arms to the front , but I am like "that's a raise not a pull"

I think I"ve got it!

Bend forward in tabletop position and start with your arms straight down at your sides. Lift the arms back. (Cathe does this in another workout as well, but in that one, I think she uses it as a rear shoulder exercise, IIRC. It kind of hits the back, rear delt and tricep all at once--and none very effectively, IMO)

I would have guessed a lat row - that explains "bent over" and "lat pull" (a "pull" could be a "row"). But the "straight arm" part only makes sense if it's a fly motion like Kathryn said (since you can't row without bending your arms). I've never thought of this as a lat exercise though - more of a rear delt/trap move.

Where are you getting this from? I'm assuming it's not from a DVD since you could just watch it to find out. Is it from a book?

That's what I was thinking, but like you said I remembered Cathe doing it as a rear delt exercise, so figure it had to be different.

But the "straight arm" part only makes sense if it's a fly motion like Kathryn said (since you can't row without bending your arms).
No, it's not a fly motion (out to the sides) : the arms go straight back (butt direction).

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.