How Do You Do It!?!

Jillybean,

I can understand you struggle. While I have never been an eat the entire bag king of gal, I do struggle w/ being driven by the need for sweets. In June, I started a food journal and one for the things that came to light for me was that after each meal, I wanted something with a strong flavor (usually dark chocolate) to turn off the feed light. So, I looked for sunstitutes. I make sure I have fruit w/ breakfast, like sweet strawberries. And, after lunch or dinner, I'll have 2 ginger snaps or carrots w/ spicy brown mustard dip. When I absolutely feel I need chocolate, I grab a Skinny Cow. But, these other strong flavors have really curbed the cravings. I've lost 20 lbs since June, hope to lose another ten. I've kept my workouts the same.

My Mom is an all or nothing eater. And, based on some information I rec'd from a girl on the FitPrime Forum, I checked out the OverEaters Anonomous website. Based on the survey, she would answer yes to all but 1 or 2 of the questions. When I see her (we live in dif states), I am going to bring her the information I found there. I'm not suggesting you fit the profile, but it couldn't hurt to check it out. I found it to be very informtative.

Best of Luck,
Kerilyn

Jillybean,

I can understand you struggle. While I have never been an eat the entire bag king of gal, I do struggle w/ being driven by the need for sweets. In June, I started a food journal and one for the things that came to light for me was that after each meal, I wanted something with a strong flavor (usually dark chocolate) to turn off the feed light. So, I looked for sunstitutes. I make sure I have fruit w/ breakfast, like sweet strawberries. And, after lunch or dinner, I'll have 2 ginger snaps or carrots w/ spicy brown mustard dip. When I absolutely feel I need chocolate, I grab a Skinny Cow. But, these other strong flavors have really curbed the cravings. I've lost 20 lbs since June, hope to lose another ten. I've kept my workouts the same.

My Mom is an all or nothing eater. And, based on some information I rec'd from a girl on the FitPrime Forum, I checked out the OverEaters Anonomous website. Based on the survey, she would answer yes to all but 1 or 2 of the questions. When I see her (we live in dif states), I am going to bring her the information I found there. I'm not suggesting you fit the profile, but it couldn't hurt to check it out. I found it to be very informtative.

Best of Luck,
Kerilyn

I agree wholeheartedly with Aquajock. I have been through the bulemia, the wildly fluctuating weight, the abuse of laxatives, etc. When I finally started maintaining a stable, healthy weight was when I stopped obsessing over what and when I ate and started focusing strictly on exercise.

I have sweet treats every day--sometimes more than one. I do pay a bit of attention to getting my nutrients and making sure I'm not deficient in anything--one of the keys to avoiding uncontrollable cravings. But the worst thing anyone can do is to make certain foods forbidden.

If your urges to eat sweets are uncontrollable, particularly in terms of amounts, take a close look at both your exercise and nutrition plan. Too much cardio can cause glycogen depletion, which will lead to the body strongly craving the quickest way to elevate blood sugar--bingeing on simple carbs, which causes a blood sugar roller coaster effect. As soon as the sugar high wears off, your blood sugar levels will bottom out, causing an uncontrollable craving again, creating a vicious cycle. Inadequate protein, vitamin or mineral intake will cause a drive to get what the body needs--you will be ravenously hungry and want everything in sight.

Those who say weight loss has to come primarily from diet are mistaken--you can't violate the first law of thermodynamics. If you expend more calories than you take in, you will lose pounds, regardless of whether the caloric deficit is in the form of fewer calories in or more calories out. But, diet will NOT change the body for the better. That can only be done through exercise.

My suggestion would be to not make any foods forbidden, but to explore and see why you can't stop when it comes to sweets. The reason may be physiological (nutrient deficiency, too much cardio, illness) or psychological, but totally obsessing about eliminating sugar from your diet dooms you to failure and is only treating the symptom. Until you fix the problem, you will not be able to get past this issue.

Good luck!
Maribeth

RE: I am so greatful!

To everyone who shared their ideas, tips, struggles, histories, encouragements. Thank you. I have learned so much by reading these. Thank you so much. Also, I had no idea how many others on this board have battled with eating disorders and all or nothing thinking. You have so much to be proud of. All of you!

Just One More

I, too, am all-or-nothing. I just look at it like I'm an alcoholic (only I'm a sweets-aholic) and follow the AA guidelines to live with the problem day-by-day.

If I abstain, I'm okay. I've actually been on the wagon now since May, the longest I've ever gone without even tasting sweets. (And believe me, one taste always led to eating it ALL!)

This isn't for everybody, but it's given me peace of mind and the strength the resist sugar.

I have a sweet tooth also and I find that when I'm exercising regularly and eating clean, I get several zits as soon as I eat candy or sweets. So I stay away from them as much as I can. I focus on satisfying any cravings I have by having one extra-large decaf coffee with double cream and double sugar per day. Not only does it satisfy the cravings and need for something with a strong flavour, I also feel full for about 4 hours.

I wonder how many calories this is? I hardly ever drank coffee until recently but this seems to work. Ever since they opened that Tim Horton's nearby...

Hélène

Although my weight has dropped to about a hundred pounds a few times, I have never eaten a whole bag of chips or downed a half gallon of ice cream in one sitting nor ever thrown up after a binge. When I do overdo it (and I am right there because I am pmsy and gave in the the huge thing of cookies at Costco. They are so soft and melt in your mouth.) I eat the junk and cut out my regular clean eating rather than eating my regular intake and adding the junk. I forgive myself and try to be a very clean eater the next day or at the very least a very moderate one! I have finally begun to lose my obsessiveness about food and to enjoy it and to appreciate my body and not go crazy when my weight flucuates. I used to weigh myself constantly but I don't any more. I have gained a few pounds lately since I have had an injury but it really doesn't bother me since I know I'll drop as soon as I get a few weeks into my new rotation. Life is short. Love it and love yourself where ever you are at. Strive to change anything that makes you unhappy but be reasonable about your expectations!

http://www.plaudersmilies.de/chicken.gif Chick's Rule! B http://www.plaudersmilies.de/natur/petals.gif bbi

[font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON Oct-06-02 AT 11:13PM (Est)[/font][p][font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON Oct-06-02 AT 11:11 PM (Est)[/font]

My 10 Commandments of Weight Control:

1. Never, ever deny yourself anything. There is no surer way of defeating yourself.

2. If there is a lower fat substitute for something, try that instead. The world today is filled with low-fat substitutes for everything, most of which taste just as good to me, if not better. Stonyfield Farm organic non-fat frozen yogurt is to die for, and is worth all the money it costs. Have you tried Healthy Choice ice cream??? Heaven on a spoon.

3. Avoid empty calories if at all possible. (If I want a cookie, I eat a nutritious sweetened breakfast cereal instead. If I want a chocolate bar, I eat a chocolate brownie Balance bar or chocolate pecan pie Luna bar instead. If I want ice cream, I have non-fat frozen yogurt or low-fat ice cream instead.) The world today is filled with wonderfully delicious, satisfying, sweet NUTRITIOUS foods.

4. Never, ever deny yourself anything! Fulfill every craving with the most nutritious and totally satisfying food that does the job. Treat every craving with the utmost respect.

5-10. NEVER, EVER, DENY YOURSELF ANYTHING!! :-jumpy

Any questions? :)

-Nancy

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.