How did you get started?

catwoman

Cathlete
I've been wondering for a while now how you got drawn to the whole idea of becoming a fitness "guru". When did you decide that you wanted to make this your profession, and what were you doing that led up to your decision? I mean, did you know or have an idea in high school (or even earlier than that) that you would take this route professionally?

I guess I am also wondering where all your creative choreography comes from? ...because there are so many other fitness instructors who've been around for so long who just never seem to break out of a certain mold. Gilad's cardio workouts are all the same -- same music, same moves, etc. Tamilee Webb (as great as I used to think she was), does change things up just a bit, but it's still a lot of the same stuff over and over, and it just gets boring after a while - and it's never challenging. I could give example after example, but your workouts just never get boring and are always so very challenging...and you seem to grow creatively with each new workout. What has inspired this?

For some reason, I can see you as a cheerleader back in your high school days. You just have the energy for it. :)

Thanks for the HC series! It has been worth the wait! Just incredible!!! I can't wait to see what you decide to do next! You are truly doing what you were meant to do with your life; otherwise, it wouldn't be so enjoyable for everyone involved.

Hi Catwoman! How nice of you to ask. Okay I'll try to be brief, wink! While in high school I took a class at Elaine Powers with a friend (prior to that I took ballet, gymnastics, and was involved in track) and when the class was over my friend wanted to go home and I wanted to stay. I was fascinated. I stayed another 3 hours picking the brains of their employees. I came home and asked my mom if I could get a membership there. I trained to become an instructor immediately and began teaching three weeks later.

Later in college, I continued to teach fitness classes at a local health club until I graduated. After graduating I decided I wanted to make a career out of this but knew the chances were slim since fitness careers were not big money makers back then (1986).

I went to New York and taught fitness classes in Carnegie Hall to celebrity clients. While there I was teaching a couple of "creative movement" classes which basically made you spontaneously create fitness classes without any preparation. I loved that challenge. There was also a big long wooden bench there that I would do all kinds of fun football drills on. At this same time step aerobics was beginning to launch in the fitness industry. I decided to jump on the opportunity to make a step aerobic video before anyone else to "make my mark".

I made some phone calls and pursued this venture. This video sold out at the IDEA world fitness convention. After that I contacted my former employer at the health club I worked at while in college (who is now my business partner) and we put our brains together.

The rest is history :)

Happy Valentine's Day to you!

What a great story. My second guess was track in high school, too, by the way. :D

It just goes to show that when something interests us, we should pursue it.

When I was younger, I had a fascination with fitness & nutrition, and really wanted to pursue it...and looking back, maybe I should have, but not in a "workout instructing" capacity...asthma has really interfered with my ability to do cardio. I couldn't imagine teaching it, because I would be so winded, I wouldn't be able to talk and provide any cuing. But that doesn't stop me from digging in and attempting your challenging cardio workouts. I just have to remove the step (to keep the intensity level where I can actually continue to breathe), and take breaks when it gets to be too much. But, as soon as I get my breath back, I jump right back in to the workout.

Thanks for staying that extra three hours at Elaine Powers when your friend wanted to go home. :7 You have many Catheites that I'm sure mirror that sentiment! :7

Thanks for letting us know your history Cathe. It is very interesting. I'll bet when you started you had no idea how big the home fitness industry would grow--keep up the great work Cathe!

Cathe's sister

I believe I own this video. The home step workout. It has Cathe (if course :) ), Cedie, and Cathe's sister. I borrowed this video from a fellow instructor 10 years ago and have been buying Cathe's stuff ever since. These are the only videos that I can buy and always feel like I got my $'s worth. Cathe what happened to your sister?? Any plans to see her in another workout??

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.