>shampoo/conditioner/lotion bottles over & keep them bottom up
>so I can squeeze every last drop out of them, to the extent
>that I stick my pinky finger in & try to get the residue when
>they're empty.

Laura, have I got a device for you:

http://www.dynamic-living.com/product/dripit-funnel/
My husband owns two.

This is fun. One of my favorite lines is "Cheap is good, Free is better."

I use a nylon tote for shopping - it holds a lot.

I've used Glad Rags for years and love them. I'll also sometimes use a cervical cap for this purpose.

Heck! My tubal ligation has saved me thousands in birth control! }(

I water down all my shampoos, conditioners, dish liquid, laundry detergent, and lotions.

I use cheap shampoo rather than woolite for my hand wash.

I make lunch every day and my kids lunches every day and use the littlest tupperware type containers rather than baggies.

I use paper printed on one side in my printer and re-use tear off calendar pages for scratch paper.

I recycle magazines at the library in the special basket they have.

I use partially empty water bottle water to water my plants with or in my iron.

I buy 99% of my clothes used. Just came back from a visit to my sister where I absolutely cleaned up at Value Village. Awesome place!

It is fun reading this thread. I agree that Gayle is more smart than cheap. The car washing thing is simply brilliant, Gayle.

I never really thought of myself as frugal, but after reading some of the posts here, I may be a bit frugal after all. I agree with the person who won't order something online if the shipping is proportionately high to the price of the item, even if the "total" is still a good price.

But I have my priorities. I don't even look at the price when I order canned tuna and salmon from Alaska. I can't put a price on reduced mercury and PCPs in my food, especially since I eat so much fish.

ETA: Speaking of gently used clothing, any petites out there? I have bags of things I can't bear to throw out, but the charities don't come to this neighborhood because it's impossible to park. Let me know.

Ooooh, Nancy, I'm a shortie. I think you may be more petite than me since I think your size is rather smaller. Aren't you a size 2 or less?

>Another good idea for saving money - and not adding to the
>landfills - is to use an alternative method of sanitary
>protection, as they say. Products like the Moon Cup, Diva Cup,
>Glad Rags and sea sponge tampons.
>
>Check these out:
>
>www.gladrags.com
>www.keeper.com
>www.jadeandpearl.com
>
>My sis uses the Moon Cup and loves it. I've just started with
>the sea sponge and so far, so good. The sponges are
>sustainably harvested.
>
>Sparrow
>
>

DITTO THIS!!!!

I LOVE my menstrual cups! Yes, I have three, but I love them all to pieces and figure that I just tripled the length of time I'll be able to use them, seeing as I rotate which ones I use depending on my mood. I have a MoonCupUK (http://www.mooncup.co.uk/), a Lunette (http://www.lunette.fi/english_index.html), and a LadyCup (http://www.ladycup.eu/) and I have no idea how I ever survived without them - no joke!

In addition to the economic benefits, I love the environmental and health benefits that you just can't get with disposables!

Here's a great website about them to add to Sparrow's list: http://www.labyrinth.net.au/~obsidian/clothpads/Cups.html

Sort of seems like this is an environmentally friendly thread, so I thought I'd add:

I use catalogchoice.org (not .com) to refuse catalogs. (Which in turn helps me save money, because when I don't get the catalogs, I don't see the needless stuff, hence I don't buy the needless stuff :) )

I re-use junk mail return envelopes and the envelopes that come with bills by taking them to my preschool classroom and letting the kids fill them with scrap paper they have cut up. (The scrap paper is stuff printed on one side, so that's recycled, too.) Or, I just recycle them.

I do my bills online to save on the cost of stamps and the amount of paper being used.

I've stopped using ziplocks and replaced them with small plastic containers. In the kids section at the grocery store they sell very small plastic food containers--I use those or the little Ziplock or Rubbermaids.

I also use the library instead of the bookstore.

I use a metal Sigg bottle rather than buy plastic water bottles.

I work in a newly renovated Green Building, and am happy to say that it has made me much more environmentally friendly. I love that the kids in my class know about recycling at the ages of two or three years old.

Wendy

I use Glad Rags every month. I never buy anything (regardless if it's on clearance or on sale) unless it's extra marked off. I'm frugal but not cheap. I love it as my husband and I are extremely well off for our retirement. And hey, I get to spend more on Cathe DVDs. :)

Laura

"The difficult periods of life provide the best opportunities to gain useful experiences and develop inner strength. " ~ Dalai Lama

>But I have my priorities. I don't even look at the price when
>I order canned tuna and salmon from Alaska. I can't put a
>price on reduced mercury and PCPs in my food, especially since
>I eat so much fish.

I agree, there are some areas where I won't skimp either. DH and I drink a lot of coffee; because coffee production is one of the worst environmental and worker exploitation offenders, I buy organic, Fair Trade, shade-grown beans from Dean's Beans in MA. It's more expensive than what I can get at the grocery, but worth it, to me.

Sparrow

>
>But I have my priorities. I don't even look at the price when
>I order canned tuna and salmon from Alaska. I can't put a
>price on reduced mercury and PCPs in my food, especially since
>I eat so much fish.
>

Ditto! If there's one area where I won't skimp, it's on the quality of the food I buy (human and pet).

Just getting into smalls now. Depends on the item. Now that I've lost some weight it's hard to adjust my mental size to fit my physical size LOL. So, medium to small.

I didn't see this cheapie habit:

when I have left over condiment packets from sushi, taco Bell, McDonalds, etc. I save them and then cut them open to dump into the regular bottle of soy sauce, catsup, taco sauce, etc. My husband thinks this is a riot. Of course, if I were really truly thrifty, I wouldn't be eating sushi, but you get the picture.

On the treadmill today I started thinking of some ways I save money that are pretty substantial.

1. I realized that I have never bought myself a piece of "real" jewelry, unless you included sterling silver. And my DH is not permitted to buy me real jewelry either. He bought my engagement ring at a toy store for about $5.00 because I would not allow him to purchase a "real" one. I don't look good in sparkly things and I don't really appreciate them.

2. I have never purchased a new car. When I lived in the 'burbs all my cars were hand-me-downs from my parents. Now that I live in the city, I don't own a car at all.

3. I almost never buy expensive handbags. The only Coach handbags I have were given to me as gifts or are hand-me-downs from my mother. I never got into handbags because I have lower back problems and don't like the heaviness of leather.

4. I haven't decorated my apartment since I moved into it 8 years ago, and my kitchen is falling apart but I can't bring myself to spend the money to renovate it.

That's some pretty major savings, if I do say so myself. :D Just don't mention clothes or shoes and we're good. ;)

Well, everyone knows I dumped my $120 per month hair habit (cut/color). My fabulous haircut from Saturdays was only $17 (plus a $6 tip) and I went back to coloring my own hair. The red I tried was a tad... Ronald McDonald, which was not what I was after (though everyone at work LOVES it) but I expected to do a little fine tuning until I got it right. Also, I got great advice about techniques to use to make that red color REALLY stick (the tips were good because I TRIED to wash this stuff out and it didn't budge - in 6 shampoos!) so I'm thinking I won't have to color as often. Saving about $89 per month.

I switched to a wash-it-every-day hard plastic water bottle and ditched my daily water bottle habit. Saving between $0.50 and $1.25 per day.

I started buying Diet Pepsi cans at a HUGE savings over the ridiculous vending machine price and keeping it in my locker at work. Every day I put cans in a bag in the refrigerator so I'll have cold pop the next day. Buying cans on sale, as opposed to from the vending machines saves me about 57 cents per can.

I've become nuts about saving on paper products. When I really studied the grocery store sale ads and realized how much toilet paper and paper towels cost, per roll, it blew my mind (Hint: It's INSANE!). The upshot, I really pay attention to how much toilet paper I pull off the roll (rather than just absentmindedly pulling off sheet after sheet), and I put a towel in the kitchen and before I grab a for the paper towels I stop and think 'Can I just use a towel here?' That simple gesture has made such a difference in how often I change paper towels. I have no clue what I'm saving her but it's big.

I'm cold water washing everything. If there's a real stain to deal with I hit it with the SHOUT gel before throwing the item down the laundry chute. Detergents are made to work great in cold water these days and my colors don't fade as quickly. Also, the loads are always FULL.

I was always good about running water in the shower only at the moment I need it to soap up or rinse off and I still am.

Cancelled nearly all of my magazine subscriptions. I had about twelve subscriptions and now have three (soon to be down to two).

Thanks to the gasoline pinch, I plan all trips before leaving the house so I can hit all stops in the pattern that will use the least amount of gasoline. I get my allergy shots at a doctor's office across town and used to make a special trip to the place on my off day. Now, because it's nearer my workplace, I take a different route to work once a week and hit it on my way in.

Biggest thing of all: I used to eat out ALL the time, often twice in the same day. In the two month's I cut that out I've gotten take-out ONCE. I used to frequent the vending machines and the cafeteria at work, even though the "food" wasn't that good, all because I just didn't think I had time (or energy) to plan and cook. I cook daily now and plan my meals. People complain about the sudden high cost of groceries but I wouldn't know since I never really bought all that many. But whatever my groceries cost now it's still SUBSTANTIALLY cheaper than what I paid on take-out. And nothing goes bad in my fridge. I use everything, one way or another. Forget all that crap about carbs. A 10-lb. bag of white (oh no!) potatoes goes a long long way - for pennies! I need to get a garden going because I love bell pepper but not the stupid price.

Unseasonably mild temperatures are saving me from having to question how long I can stand to sweat before I can no longer stand it. I'm so grateful I have rarely needed to turn on the central air.

I'm trying to figure out how to get that cable bill down but my cable covers my dvr and my high-speed internet, two things I love a lot.

I am way too embarassed to comment on this thread! I do hate throwing away food though..does that count? Even if it sits and gets moldy?

I collect samples of skincare and beauty products too...but for no other reason than I use them when I travel.

I spent alot of my life with nothing,and had to watch every single penny, so now that I have a little something I enjoy it and try not to worry too much about being thrifty.I know thats bad huh?

I'm quite a cheap person, too. I try to make extra payments on my mortgage (and I've been doing quite well lately!)so I'm not paying interest for the entire 30 year period. I hope to have the mortgage paid off in 10 years. I have no credit card debt, and so I make no credit card interest payments, which can really add up.

Most of the things that people have mentioned here are me, but there's one that hasn't yet been posted here: composting. It's the solution for the feeling of "I hate to throw away this moldy food, but it's not edible anymore." If it doesn't have meat, bones, or fatty food in it, it goes into the composter. This isn't an option for some city dwellers (although vermicomposting is possible for anyone), but it is great for most people and provides you with great topsoil/compost for other uses. Plus, there's not as much stuff being dumped into landfills.

It's gotten almost to the point where I don't feel so bad about throwing old food out anymore - almost :)

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.