How can Cardio Core Circuit only have a MET value of 7?

susanzabo

Cathlete
I haven't done it yet but it looks TOUGH! The MMAs have 7.5. Does that seem correct? Or maybe I don't understand MET values, which is entirely possible.

Susan

Wow, I don't understand how met values are derived, either, but that certainly seems off to me! I'd take MMA Boxing over CCC any day if I thought I was getting as good a workout. Both are fun, but CCC definitely has a much greater "whew" factor!

I'm addicted to the Workout Manager, but I do frequently have to adjust the MET values. I use a Polar HRM to get a more personalized rundown of my workout, and then adjust the METs on the WM to match that.

Met value ccc

I also asked tis question a while ago because ccc is up there when it comes to intensity. I too wear a watch that tracks my hert rate and calorie output and it seems that ccc is more of a 10 met value. I also adjust the met value on the workout manager accordingly.

Lisa/cvfinnegan,

Just curious, how do you use your HR monitor to determine MET values?

I did CCC this morning and WOW, that's a killer. I don't think I will pull that out very much, it is very hard and not so fun. I think Afterburn is very hard (not as hard as CCC) but it's fun somehow. And it helps that I can actually complete Afterburn. I struggled with some of the moves in CCC (especially core segment 5!!!! That was tough way to end it!)

Susan

Hi
It is a watch that gives calories burned as you workout. It has two metal buttons on the top that you place your pointer finger and middle finger. After 10 seconds it clicks to calories burned and heartrate with the percentage of output. For example. It will say heartrate 153 bpm and percentage would be 85 percent and 200 calories burned. It's a way to know approximately what calories are being burned through a workout.

cvfinnegan said:
Hi
It is a watch that gives calories burned as you workout. It has two metal buttons on the top that you place your pointer finger and middle finger. After 10 seconds it clicks to calories burned and heartrate with the percentage of output. For example. It will say heartrate 153 bpm and percentage would be 85 percent and 200 calories burned. It's a way to know approximately what calories are being burned through a workout.

Thanks. Mine works a little different as I wear a strap around my chest and it's constantly tracking my h.r. How do you convert that info to a met value?

I am not a fan of CCC. Some workouts are hard, but fun - like Imax 2, Imax 3, Intensity, HR, STS-TB and 4DS. But, CCC, man, I hardly every reach for it. It's hard,but not at all fun for me. I think it should be a 8.5 at least.

Thanks. Mine works a little different as I wear a strap around my chest and it's constantly tracking my h.r. How do you convert that info to a met value?

To calculate, I look at the total calorie burn on my HRM and then tinker with the MET value on the WM until the WM calculates a calorie burn close to the burn registered by the HRM. It's not perfectly scientific, but it gives me a pretty close idea of the actual MET value.

Yes I do the same with my met value. I take the calories burned on my hr monitor and adjust the number in met value until it equals the calories burned or around that number. It is always higher that what was originally in the workout manager for a met value. I feel that this is more accurate because I am always sweating' huffing' and puffin' with any cathe workout.

I haven't done CCC yet. Perhaps I'm too scared because of what everyone says about it on here .... :p.

How do you go about purchasing a heart rate monitor? What are the "good ones?" It seemed a few years ago I heard everyone talking about the ones with a chest strap and now there's ones that are watch-like?! What's the difference? Also, brand? Price?

Kara

I have the heart rate monitor that is a watch that you put your fingers on, like cvfinnegan. The pros of this kind are that it is easy, simple and nothing to strap around your chest. The cons are (for mine at least) you have to stand fairly still for @4-5 seconds while pushing with your fingers to get the watch to measure your hear rate. I basically could not stand the strap around my chest - I always felt it, it drove me crazy, etc. However, I know there are others that don't mind it in the least and I think if you do not mind the strap it is the better way to go because then you get your heart rate all the time and don't have to stop to measure it.

cvfinnegan - what type of watch is yours? I do not think I get calories burned with mine - is it a different function on yours?

susan - you might try the 34 minute premix on CCC; it somehow made the workout much more fun for me (less repeats) and eliminated the dread factor. The timing makes it nice if you want to pair it up with a 30-minuter up or lb weight day.

-Stephanie

I agree Stephanie! That's a great idea. I am still getting used to the idea of combining shorter workouts with something else. I am determined to do it all with no extra breaks. Not sure if I will ever master the rollback to roll forward to push up move but I am gonna keep trying.

I think Cathe mentioned this as a workout for the Chicago road trip. I am seriously nervous!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.