Hip Flexors!!! HELP ME!!!

ssquared

Guys, I have serious hip flexor troubles...I have been exercising for about 10 years, and it's getting worse. My core workouts are extremely difficult if it involves raising the legs, or bike maneuvers or something similar. If I am just sitting at my computer, and try to adjust my legs, I feel like I can barely lift them, my hip flexors are so tight. I have tried stretching in every possible way after a workout, and am trying to work in more yoga, although if I have only 5 days a week to work out, I will sub weights or cardio for yoga. Does anyone else have this problem, or has anyone found something that works to relieve the tightness? Any advice is much appreciated!

If you're sure it's tightness and not bursitis or arthritis then maybe the pigeon stretch (3 times a day, holding the pose for 20 seconds) would help - also, adding a few epsom salt baths (time consuming, I know) might help.
In the mean time it seems you may need to rest for a couple days.
Take care and good luck!

2 words:

foam roller :eek:

You'll hate it, but your hip flexors (mine too, along with my IT bands) eventually love it. It HURTS a LOT, though. A lot. But I swear, nothing has been as effective for me.

HTH:)

Thanks so much for the ideas, everyone! BreckGirl, I have been using the foam roller for 2 days now and I think I'm addicted to it!!! Then I follow with the pigeon stretch. I know it's only been two days, but I already it is loosening up the hip flexors, and I feel like I can get a deeper stretch, which helps. Nanbo, let us know how you like the Neuromuscular release system and if it works!

Again, thanks for taking the time to give feedback!

ssquared said:
Thanks so much for the ideas, everyone! BreckGirl, I have been using the foam roller for 2 days now and I think I'm addicted to it!!! Then I follow with the pigeon stretch. I know it's only been two days, but I already it is loosening up the hip flexors, and I feel like I can get a deeper stretch, which helps. Nanbo, let us know how you like the Neuromuscular release system and if it works!

Again, thanks for taking the time to give feedback!

That's great. I have tight, easily fatigued hip flexors too, although they aren't as bad as yours. How exactly do you use the foam roller to help? I have seen the rollers but have no idea what to do with it. Thanks for your help!

Susan

That's great. I have tight, easily fatigued hip flexors too, although they aren't as bad as yours. How exactly do you use the foam roller to help? I have seen the rollers but have no idea what to do with it. Thanks for your help!

Susan

Susan - go to youtube.com and search on 'foam roller it band' or 'foam roller hip flexor' and you'll see how to use it.

It does hurt so good :)

Elle

I'd get it checked

I know this pain. My history sounds exactly like yours. I tried all kinds of stretching, resting, etc., but the pain would just come back. I finally talked to my doctor - actually I just talked with him casually at a football game thinking he'd just tell me everything was ok. Well, of course he told me to make an appt. He ran an MRI, and it turned out that I have arthritis in my hips AND, because of years of impact, high step, etc., I had an overuse injury which resulted in a torn hip labrum. I didn't have to get a surgical repair - I opted for rest and a cortisone shot. BUT - had I not checked it out, I would have continued to take pain killers to try to get through it.

BUT - here's the kicker - because I've favored my hip region for so long, I ended up not paying as much attention to my other joints. I ended up with a torn lateral meniscus in my knee that I'm now facing arthroscopy for in the next couple of weeks. :-(

Just be careful ... I know that I made a mistake and it seems to have cost me trouble in two major joints.

Good luck!!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.