Hiit and Headaches

Pinny150

Cathlete
I love love love the fact that these workouts push me to the limit. However, I'm noticing I have a headache/pressure like feeling in between intervals. Does anyone else experience this with this kind of training? What's up with that? Thanks. :)

Iris

I just ordered my Hiit, so I haven't tried these yet. I do, however, get a wicked headache after the cardio portion of Kickmax. I actually wondered if these would do the same. I think it has to do with the tempo being kicked up a notch. Now I'm a bit worried that these might be similar for me.

It might be your blood pressure. Maybe more water and electrolytes? I do get that when my blood pressure is high from being ill.

I thought blood pressure too. The only thing is, I've always had low blood pressure....wonder if that's it, if I'm not used to my blood pressure raising to that level...Geez I might just ask my doctor...hmmm... In the meantime I will try even more water!

Iris,

Maybe consider taking a slightly longer break in between intervals until your body gets used to these types of workouts. Remember, in the Imaxes you get recovery and then a brief steady state routine before the next blast. As you know, the Hiits are all blasts with short breaks in between. Even if it doesn't feel like you're overly exerting yourself, consider that you are "shocking" your body with a totally different cardio experience.

Think about it, if you were experiencing CHEST pains and pressure doing the Hiits or any other intense workout, you'd probably stop out of concern for your heart. I'm not doubting your physical conditioning at all. I'm just sayin'... if it were me, I'd see any sort of headache or head pressure as a red light. It may be nothing, but better safe than sorry, right?

Another thing is to make sure that you are breathing properly. Suck that air in, as Cathe says, "it's free". If you're still really out of breath when the next interval starts, take a little more time, have some good old H20 and then resume the workout. I'm not advertising anything but I know for me, during a particularly intense workout, I drink electrolyte enhanced water.

For whatever the reason, for now, your heart may take longer to recover from the blasts than Cathe and the gang. I do my best to keep up with them but when I need more time, I take it. I imagine that they did not start out doing these Hiit workouts as flawlessly as did during the filming.

Definitely consult with your physician and in the mean time...
1) Listen to your body.
2) Hydrate, Hydrate, Hydrate
3) Keep breathing during the exertion phase and don't start the next interval if you're still really out of breath.
4) Consider slightly longer breaks and/or not going at it 110% (as we hard core Cathletes tend to do naturally).

HTH.

Fitness Friend,

Teals

Last edited:
Iris,

I haven't done these yet since I'm training for a half marathon, but I took a series of Hiit classes at my gym last year and had headaches after them for the first few weeks. In my experience, if the workout has you with your head down (think mountain climbers, etc.) and then you stand up quick--lots of up and down, you will get a headache if you're not used to it. You should acclimate after awhile. Since I haven't done the workouts yet, I may not know of what I speak! :) HTH.

Kelly

Thank you for all these thoughts and really good points! I'm going to try this enhanced water, and maybe not go all out until my body acclimates. We'll see what happens......

Headaches

I also experienced a very bad headache this Saturday after 30/30, but not during the workout. It was very strange to me because I thought CCC was much harder than 30/30 and my body had no adverse reaction. 30/30 was tough, but not a wipe out, so I it just seems a little strange to me. However, I do have high blood pressure, so that could be my issue. I have to admit though I'm a little afraid of these HIIT workouts now. I never had that kind of problem with the IMAX workouts or anything else I've done.

Thanks for posting all the great information here.

I did 30/30 this weekend and it is VERY hard. I actually got nauseous about 30-40 minutes after completing the workout, so it's definitely hardcore.

I have some recommendations to make it easier until your body gets more acclimated. Lower the step one or more risers on each side. For mountain climbers and similar activities, put your hands on your step instead of the floor, so your head is above your heart. It's much easier that way! If the tucks are too hard, just jump in the air or do another similar cardio move. And as others have said, take longer breaks and drink plenty of water.

Exercise induced headache and migraine is pretty common. A good preventive is to try a tablet of aleve with a light carb snack about 30 minutes before you work out.
Beth

Ah, so glad to hear that others get workout induced headache/migraines. This used to be very common for me. I recently started doing Insanity and was worried that this would give me migraines, but what I found is that after working out with Cathe regularly I didn't get the headaches. I think this may be a due to several factors - being really good about drinking my water daily, working on making sure I am remembering to really breath deeply during the workout, but I think the key factor is watching my HR. My blood pressure is good, but my HR really gets up there when I workout (even though my resting HR is in the mid to low 40's). What I do is make sure that I get my HR back down to 150 (yea, I said back down...it gets up to 180's and sometimes low 190's...) before I move on. When my HR gets up too high for too long I get headaches. Do you wear a HRM when you work out? If so, keep an eye on making sure it gets down before starting up the intensity again. It has helped me a lot. But everyone is different and maybe your headache is caused by something else. Just my $0.02. Good luck with it and let us know what works/helps you.

- sarah

Last edited:
Ah, so glad to hear that others get workout induced headache/migraines. This used to be very common for me. I recently started doing Insanity and was worried that this would give me mingraines, but what I found is that after working out with Cathe regularly I didn't get the headaches. I think this may be a due to several factors - being really good about drinking my water daily, working on making sure I am remembering to really breath deeply, but I think the key factor is watching my HR. I too have low blood pressure but my HR really gets up there when I workout (even though my resting HR is in the mid to low 40's). What I do is make sure that I get my HR back down to 150 (yea, I said back down...it gets up to 180's and sometimes low 190's...) before I move on. When my HR gets up too high for too long is when I get the headaches. Do you wear a HRM when you work out? If so, keep an eye on making sure it gets down before starting up the intensity again. It has helped me a lot. But everyone is different and maybe your headache is caused by something else. Just my $0.02. Good luck with it and let us know what works/helps you.

- sarah

Hi Sarah, Thanks for your input! I think you hit the nail on the head. I do wear a HRM...I did 40/20 again and this time waited until it got back down before moving on. No headaches today! My HR definitely gets up there even though I have a low resting HR as well. And as I usually try to, I took special care in water consumption! I wonder if this will ever change with these workouts....if eventually I will be able to move on without pausing the extra 10 to 20 seconds. I guess time will tell!

Thanks for letting us know that worked!

I am so glad that helped!! It took me a long time to figure out the solution to the headaches. I think it will get better with time. When I did the Insanity workouts I didn't have to have the longer breaks...but with Cathe's HIIT and the CCC I have had to take longer breaks.

I just did 40/20 this morning for the first time and found that my HR got up to 202 at the very end (199 after the butt kicks)...I was glad that was the end of the workout. For me those 1 minute breaks every 4 exercises made all the difference.

Last edited:
hmmm, i have wondered this for so long, cuz i get headaches after some workouts, too. but, not all the time. i know my HR gets really high at times, but my moniter is dead. is that where the headaches come from?
i didn't get a headache after 30/30 last week, but i worked out pretty hard mon-sat, and got a bad migraine sat. afternoon.
i am also glad to have a thread about this.

what do you consider a lite carb snack? and, i can't take aleve. sometimes i take an excedrin migraine. it has a little caffeine and hope to aleviate a headache.

When I first saw this post, I wiped my brow thinking, I'm so glad I'm not getting headaches with the higher intensity workouts. Well, guess what, I did CCC this morning and a wicked , all-day headache started half way through. Looking back, I think it had to do with not breathing correctly and elevated heartrate 190+ during some drills. It's a little scary and will definitely tone it down next time. A big feel better soon to everyone.
Now off to medicate . . . I hope Tylenol does the trick since I don't feel like going out in the bitter cold to get Advil.

Oh man aleve, advil, nor tylenol touch my headaches. The ONLY thing that has ever had an affect is excedrin migraine - that caffeine is the trick I am convinced. But I have to take it right away. Taking aleve before I workout? Oh my goodness that is a terrible idea (for me - I know everyone is different) I would hurl.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.