High Impact Hiit is a HIT!

First time doing Perfect 30's High Impact Hiit I got nervous as I saw drill after drill with squat thrusts. Whoa, can I really get down on the floor and jump back up THAT many times I wondered. o_O There are soooo many of them! Sounds scary doesn't it, but surprisingly they are manageable and leave you feeling accomplished and empowered. :) This workout is the 'perfect' blend of results-based tough moves (air jacks, tuck jumps...you get the picture;)) and fun, fresh moves that are doable yet rewarding. The drills are repeated so you run through each one twice. This helps you know what is coming, and gives you a chance to really 'work it' on the second round. Cathe is super perky and positive, the crew relaxed and looking like they are having fun. I enjoy working out with Jai and Brenda who are aging so beautifully. Inspirational. I found the time just flew by - nice! No dread factor with this workout.
Be aware that the stretch at the end is very short and doesn't really hit all the muscles used (e.g. calves). Well at least not enough for my old bod, so in my case I will need to add the extended stretch or one of the flow workouts. But this is no problem given the fabulous versatility of this series. I can easily add onto these action packed 30 minutes.
Cathe never ceases to amaze me. She hit it out of the park yet again!

First time doing Perfect 30's High Impact Hiit I got nervous as I saw drill after drill with squat thrusts. Whoa, can I really get down on the floor and jump back up THAT many times I wondered. o_O There are soooo many of them! Sounds scary doesn't it, but surprisingly they are manageable and leave you feeling accomplished and empowered. :) This workout is the 'perfect' blend of results-based tough moves (air jacks, tuck jumps...you get the picture;)) and fun, fresh moves that are doable yet rewarding. The drills are repeated so you run through each one twice. This helps you know what is coming, and gives you a chance to really 'work it' on the second round. Cathe is super perky and positive, the crew relaxed and looking like they are having fun. I enjoy working out with Jai and Brenda who are aging so beautifully. Inspirational. I found the time just flew by - nice! No dread factor with this workout.
Be aware that the stretch at the end is very short and doesn't really hit all the muscles used (e.g. calves). Well at least not enough for my old bod, so in my case I will need to add the extended stretch or one of the flow workouts. But this is no problem given the fabulous versatility of this series. I can easily add onto these action packed 30 minutes.

Thanks for your great review

Yes high impact Hiit has a lot of squat thrust moves mixed with high intensity upright classics all combined into mini combo drills to keep you fired up and engaged. Due to the many squat thrusts in high impact Hiit, I made sure not to have any at all in low impact Hiit to create a good balance of impact and movement variety between the two.

I agree the stretches in the Perfect 30 series are short and that’s why I definitely made sure to include an extended bonus stretch in this series for those of us who prefer more stretching (me for sure ). So glad you’re enjoying the series.

Thank you for the review! I'm not good at high impact these days, but I'm going to at least try this one, and then use it as a benchmark to work up to higher intensity moves over time. :) I too love seeing Jai and Brenda in the workouts. They both are so beautiful and strong. They inspire me. :)

I have not seen Perfect 30 yet. I do have to say I really like it when Cathe mixes high and low impact cardio in one workout as in the Strong and Sweaty Cardio Slam DVD

Jane, are you one of those folks like me who really needs a good warmup to try workouts like these?

Please share your thoughts re: whether a longer warmup might be needed! Thanks!!

Jane, are you one of those folks like me who really needs a good warmup to try workouts like these?

Please share your thoughts re: whether a longer warmup might be needed! Thanks!!
Yes, I too like and benefit from a thorough warm-up Linda. For me it is all about the breathing so I usually take a few slow really deep breaths while I bring my arms overhead before beginning and that helps me get my breathing nice and deep for the cardio to come.
In terms of High Impact Hiit, the warmup wasn't super aggressive, so starting out I wasn't sure if I would be ready for the drills. But the first drill (a longer jack series) served as an extended warmup for me. So by the end of those I was ready to go with the more intense moves! Cathe designed it that way (she mentions that the first drill is a little easier) and I really like that approach. I have only done this workout once , but so far so good!

Just a tip if you need to modify squat thrusts is to do them with your hands on a step at 2 or 3 risers. For me that really helps as some days getting the hands all the way down to the floor is a challenge! I also did several drills on the rebounder (pencil jumps for example).

I just finished this one and it was very challenging for me. Let's just say I modified quite a bit. I would just splatter on the ground if I did the competitive burpees like Cathe. Maybe I can work up to them? But I did make it through because the workout isn't long and Cathe does let us catch our breath between exercises. I followed with the pyramid cardio drills on the step. I used one riser this time and think I may be able to use two risers next time, not sure though. For me it is perfect to add the bonus cardio drills after the main workout and then the extended stretch. I feel so accomplished.

Wow, this was a tough one; I think I'll nickname it the "Thruster"! There was a lot of different types of squat thrusts. I was breathing heavy the whole time, my thighs & calves were burning, and I was loving every second! I may have missed a rep here & there so I've got some work to do. It all felt new & fun. This may be one of my favorite High Impact HIITs!

Jane Power-Grimm wrote: This workout is the 'perfect' blend of results-based tough moves (air jacks, tuck jumps...you get the picture;)) and fun, fresh moves that are doable yet rewarding. :)

The best of both worlds awaits us on this DVD. Cha-cha-cha! Good luck everyone!
Awesome job BlakKat! (Fist Pump)

I watched this one and felt terrified! But wen I actually got down to it, I found it was a do-able challenge - not one where I had to stop the tape and cry. I've been doing a lot of advanced steady state cardio rather than HIIT intervals so I was worried, but it was just right.

This was so fun! I don't know how Cathe keeps these so fresh and new. I must have access to thousands of workouts and the cardio workouts from this series are outstandingly fun and challenging! thanks.

Last edited:
I was finally able to do this one today. OMG!!! I cannot believe how fast Cathe moves from exercise to exercise, but the time goes by so fast. I did modify some of the moves and I also had a high step nearby for some of the burpees. I used my high step with 1 riser for last last few rounds that had burpees because I was getting so tired I didn't want to hurt myself. I modified the squat thrust surfer jump, instead of the squat thrust, I did 2 jacks then went into the surfer jump. It timed it perfectly to Cathe so I was never out of step. I also modified the seal jacks with high knee runs, instead of seal jacks, I did wide high knee runs into the high knee runs with Cathe. I know I modified one other move but I just cannot remember right now. That was so much packed into 30 mins. but what a great sweat. I feel really good right now.

No excuses this was really tough for me. I started off OK thinking this isn't so bad (like so many Cathe DVDs ;)) and then about halfway I had to add an extra break, then a little bit after that, another break. Then I started just doing the first time round of the repeats and finally, I sat the last round out on the sofa!! :p A lot to work up to for sure.
I must admit I miss the timer on the breaks, they don't always seem long enough to me.
Glad to say that at least I found Low Impact Hiit much more achievable :)

I've done this once so far and thoroughly enjoyed it. I hadn't previewed it so I had to hesitate to watch a few of the reps so I knew what I was doing but that usually happens as I learn the whole set. It is actually kind of funny because I have to plan where I do some of the exercises since my ceiling height varies (I live in a double wide mobile home). I mistakenly (and lightly) hit the ceiling with the first pencil shooter and that is not the kind of "hit" we are doing. I just moved to where the ceiling was higher but kind of laughed a bit first.
I love hiit like this one: short, sweet and a challenge. Sooo satisfying.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.