Hi Everyone!

Great to hear from you!

Cathe, we've all missed you, too... but we all understand if you can't answer all our questions as quickly as before. Please take as much time as you need to enjoy these special moments with baby Eric!
happy.gif
Great to know you're all well and healthy, and I just loved reading Jon's story of Eric's birth! You'll have to fill us all in later when he takes his first steps, says his first word, and all that other great baby stuff!

Lynne

Congratulations, Mom & unsolicited advice

We missed you and it's great to see you posting again. But PLEASE take your time about getting back to work and take some time for yourself to rest. The first 3 to 6 months is a lot of work, especially when it's your first.

You have to build in extra time in your day for phone calls to your mom, your pediatrician, your best friend and so on. Did you ever suspect that umbilical cords, how to bathe a baby, green diapers and sore breasts could be so COMPLICATED and fascinating? Get some rest and let the movers take care of everything. (But NOT Eric!)

Also, please forgive me -- I swore I wouldn't do this, but I CAN't HELP MYSELF, my fingers just keep typing -- I have two tips that helped me out a lot with my kids:

(1) During a night-time feeding, put a warm heating pad in your baby's cradle while he's out of it. Take the heating pad out right before you put him back in. He might not wake up if the cradle is nice and snuggly like your body was. Or he might only wake up briefly.

(2) For daytime napping, instead of a bassinet, put him in one of those vibrating bouncer seats. (You don't have to put on the vibrating part.) My kids were a little more comfortable and entertained when they could look around -- they hated the bassinet, with nothing to look at while they were starting to doze. Eric is still probably too little for the bouncer seat, but you can always give it a try with one of those head thingies that you use for their car seats.

Every baby is different, but these tips helped me out a lot.

Thanks again for thinking of us, Cathe. Your baby Eric is breathtaking.

Daphne

How do the dogs like their new little brother?

First of all, it's wonderful to hear from you. I hope you're getting enough sleep and enjoying every second of this magical time. Someone once described a new baby just like falling in love ... sigh.

I hope your two pups are adapting well to sharing you and Jon with someone else!

hey m.i.c

It's difficult to sit on ANYTHING with episiotomy stitches!! LOL! -susan p

Hi Cathe!

It is so good to "hear your voice" so to speak. . . We truly have missed you a lot! This community of people has been great, though, jumping in to answer questions, etc. We're "an educated crowd" (who said that??
happy.gif
) and some of the old-timers/experienced exercisers have been jumping right in to help out with questions! So you just relax and enjoy your time. When do you plan on starting to teach again? Will you take Eric to the gym while you work?
Congratulations AGAIN, can't say it enough because every single DAY is a celebration when you have a new baby! And please just relax and take care of yourself. -susan p

Hi Cathe!!

It's so nice to hear from you. I'm so happy you're enjoying motherhood. (It goes so fast.)
Jon, I read your account, but I just had no time to reply. It was wonderful to hear about Cathe's delivery from your perspective. Sorry, Cathe, that you had to deliver elsewhere, but it was wonderful to hear about your breathing technique and how well it worked.

I wish the whole family well, and Cathe, I'm looking forward to you being back with all of us, too, but enjoy to the fullest this very special, wonderful time.

Valerie
happy.gif
happy.gif

Warm wishes

Cathe and Jon,
Thanks for keeping us up to date. I've followed your pregnancy, and it's so exciting! Best of luck to you both.

I'm so happy for you!

I was so shocked when I logged onto the forum on the 1st of January (hoping to read a new "Cathe Pregnancy Update" and found the post that said you had delivered baby Eric!

Congratulations! I am so happy for you and your family! Isn't being a mom the most wonderful feeling ever?

I have a 2yo son, and I still remember those first days. I couldn't have been happier. I was so amazed by the love I felt for him. It truly is indescribable...the most wonderful feeling in the world!

I also remember being a mom was so much harder than I ever thought it would be. It still is, but it's also so much more rewarding than I ever dreamt possible.

The thing that was definitely hardest for me was the lack of sleep. I was nursing Connor every 3 hours (it took 40 minutes to nurse, so I was starting every 2 hours and 20 minutes) and then once I was done nursing, I would lay Connor back into the bassinet, and he would lay there and fuss, looking for his binky that continually fell out of his mouth, so it would take me a good 30 minutes to get him to sleep even after I nursed him! I was only sleeping about 1 hour at a time, and I remember thinking I was going to go crazy so many times. I just dreaded the sound of his little pamper butt crinkling as he kicked his legs, and tossed his head back and forth looking for a breast to latch onto (only in the middle of the night of course). I can remember nursing Connor, with excruciating sore nipples, and looking over at my sleeping husband (who is wonderful, and a great help with Connor, but works a full-time job whereas I don't, so he was getting his much needed and much deserved sleep) and I would just want to kick him because he was sleeping while I was up, exhausted, nursing my precious son! I wished so much that I could put him away and get him back out in the morning to play with as if he were a doll! I found it best to make sure that I got plenty of rest during the day in order to keep my sanity that night.

And now, in spite of knowing about all those hard times I'll be in store for with a second, I am really ready to have another baby! All those sleepless nights while they are newborns, (and I'm not convinced those times are harder than the times when they start walking and are so curious about everything that you can't sit down to visit with your friends for a minute while they try to destroy everything in their house), or throwing a temper-tantrum, or any of the wonderful things I have yet to discover as he gets older. None of those things could ever convince me to not have another baby (and possibly even another--I mean they're so precious, how can you stop at 1 or 2?). Nor do they come close to competing with all of the wonderful, special, tug-at-your-hear moments, and immense feeling of pride that I fills my chest to bursting every time I look at my beautiful son. Just to see his precious smiling face...to hear him say I "uv" you too!, to hear him call for Mamma, and to hear the way it sounds--almost like a warm hug that means comfort and love and safety all at once. It's remembering moments like these that I know nothing else matters. There is nothing like family, and there is nothing like the love of a child--your child. As much as every day life tries to get in the way, nothing is more important than family. As long as I have that, everything is great.

Best of luck to you in your new journey of motherhood! Thank you so much for sharing this special time of your life with us. There were many, many times when I laughed and almost cried reading your posts.

Welcome back....BIG HUG!!

Hi Cathe!!

Welcome back we have missed you!!! We under-
stand that a very important and beautiful
arrival has kept you away though!!!

Glad to see your post and I must tell you
that your baby is precious!!!! Congratulations!
Please take your time and enjoy every minute
you can with your baby!! He is the most im-
portant thing and this is the most special
time of your life!! Enjoy it!!

Tammy Churchman

Hey Cath...

Welcome back! Glad to see you posting again and like the rest have already said...don't push yourself too hard.
nancy:O)

Welcome Back!!

Cathe, welcome back, & congratulations again on the birth of your son, Eric. I am so glad to hear that you two are getting along so well. Also, thank you for the wonderful message you sent to all of us. It makes me feel really special.
You are such a nice, considerate, & special person. I am sure you will be a great mom!

Hi Cathe

Its so nice to see you posting again! But don't overdo it. You have someone too important to take care of and he has the cutest little nose!

I hope you are feeling well.

When you have a chance, can you and Shiela expand on the breathing technique you used during the pushing stage? I'm curious!

Doctors, diapers, etc.

Hi Daphne! Your post cracked me up. Thats me alright. I'm on the phone numerous times per day(doctors office, can you hold please...
happy.gif
) and had questions about each of those topics you mentioned. Oh and I will definitely try the warm heating pad trick when we move(the crib is already packed for the new house).

Something that I have been doing(who knows, maybe it will be helpful to others) to make changing a little less squirmy for Eric is warming up his baby clothes with a blow dryer for about 10 seconds before I put them on him. Also during diaper changes I have been using a warm wash cloth instead of the cold huggies wipes. I've been told that they make those warmers now for wipes but his doctor said that his skin is too young and sensitive for those wipes right now and to stick to a wet washcloth for atleast a month.

Oh and yes, I have used the bouncy seat. You are exactly right. He does not like being away from the action in the bassinet. As soon as we prop him up in the bouncy seat he quiets right down. Although Eric does not appear to be colicky(knock on wood), I have heard that these bouncy vibration seats can also help sooth gas build up in a colicky baby.

Well, I just thought I'd share some things that I heard too. Thanks for the helpful suggestions.

Hi Kimberly!

I have some great news and some very disappointing news.

The great news is that Hampton, my 10 year old lab, loves baby Eric. He is very cautious around Eric and very protective of him too. It is very cute to see.

The sad and disappointing news is that poor Addi(our temporary puppy dog in training) never got to meet baby Eric. Since we were only allowed to have Addi for one more week through the holidays, he came up north with us to my baby shower. When I unexpectedly went into labor up there, we had to hurry off to the hospital and leave Addi with my parents. My husband had to return Addi to the program while I was still in the hospital so unfortunately the two never met. Since I never had an official good bye with him and Eric never had an official hello with him, we are going to go visit him as soon as things calm down a little here and spend a few hours with him at the training house. I'm sure that will be an emotional day.

Thanks so much!

Hi Susan! I'm so thankful to all of you for helping me out with the questions. That really was nice of you to do.

I'm planning on teaching again in about 2 to 4 more weeks. It all depends on how well the episiotomy continues to heal. Right now it still feels very tender.

I will most likely take Eric to the gym while I teach but then do my computer work at home. However, as of right now, I am not planning on taking Eric to the gym until this flu season calms down a bit.

Thanks for your well wishes
happy.gif
!

There's a special place in heaven ...

I volunteer with the Guide Dogs for the Blind School in San Rafael, California. Between my schedule, my two cats and a cranky husband, I would never be able to be a puppy raiser, so I have to be content walking the dogs that (1) didn't make the program; (2) are retired; or (3) are breeders. I love those dogs so much (especially the black labs!) and it's amazing what they can learn to do. My heart goes out to the puppy raisers, though. I can't imagine a more important job, nor can I imagine the heartbreak of sending the puppy on when the training period is over. I know you realize how important your job is, and what a difference your sacrifice makes for some very lucky person who will have a well-trained companion. I have to believe that there's a special place in heaven for the puppy raisers.

On Graduation Day at the Guide Dogs school, the puppy raisers get to present the dog to the graduate. Both the puppy raiser and the graduate make a speech, and it's usually a very emotional afternoon. Do you do something similar?

BTW, this is only the second or third time I've posted here and I've always wanted to tell you how much I love your tapes.

pushing method

Sure will. As a matter of fact, as I was in the process of using this method, that very same thought went through my head. After experiencing both ways of pushing, I feel strongly about NOT using the purple pushing method. If I forget to post this information(which is very likely these days, hee hee), please remind me again in the pregnancy forum. Thanks so much Joyce!!!

Hi again!

Oh, your post is making me reach for the tissues again. What a special thing to say about puppy raisers. I truly appreciate that.

Yes, we do a graduation also. What a tear jerking day. Dakota, the dog that I basic trained before Addi, had a graduation. Watching Dakota and his recipient walk up to receive their diploma brough the hugest tears of joy and pride to my eyes. What a rewarding day!

On a less teary note, I'm glad you are enjoying the tapes
happy.gif
!

Hi Stacey!

I really enjoyed your story about the lack of sleep. Eric started out as a great sleeper but the last few nights he has been very fussy. Not colicky(thank goodness, although I hear they can develop this at around 2 to 3 weeks of age---yikes)but a little cranky. The nights that you described was almost exactly how I felt two nights ago. Oh and I loved the description of his "little pamper butt crinkling as he kicked his legs"(how funny and cute that sounded). Sleep deprivation can make one crazy, huh? I'm hoping for atleast 2 solid hours of uninterrupted sleep tonight
happy.gif
!

Thanks for sharing your story. It was a precious one. Conner sounds so sweet. He obviously also has a very special mommy and daddy.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.