Help with gym weight workout

SusanR

Cathlete
Hi Cathe,

Due to my daughters dance schedule this year and since my gym is in the same complex Iam thinking about doing 2 days of weight training at the gym. I would appreciate any guidance/suggestions you could give me for an all body workout. The gym has equipment and free weights. I will have about 1 hour one day and 1 1/2 hours the other day. Should I try and do 2-3 types of workouts for each body part with 3 sets each of 10-10 reps? What equipment/exercises do you recommend?

To be honest even though I have all of your weight training videos I haven't done much weight training. But Iam going to change that starting this fall.

Thanks so much for any help and congratulations on your new baby!

SusanR

Hi Susan! There are so many different things you can do and so many different ways of doing them but what I will do is just give you a workout for one way that I would probably do if I were in your situation. I am setting this up for you to take advantage of using as many effective machines/equipment as you can so that you get some variety along with your home workouts when you return to them. You may need to ask employees at the gym to explain these exercises to you.

Do all of the following exercises for 3 sets of 10 reps with a challenging weight that barely allows you to complete the sets. Remember that you must have good form throughout every rep and if your form fails, stop the set early. If you got under 6 reps in that failure set, then lighten your weight for the next set, unless that was your last set). Also, be sure to do a 5 minute ab workout at home three times per week.

Day One: (90 minute workout)

Warm up walking on treadmill 7 minutes:

LEGS: (about 30 minutes)
Exercise #1 Squats on smith machine
Exercise #2 Static Lunges with smith machine
Exercise #3 Leg Extention machine
Exercise #4 Hamstring curl machine
Exercise #5 Inner thigh machine
Exercise #6 Outer thigh machine

Insert stretches of muscle used between each set.

BACK: (about 20 minutes)
Exercise #1 Pull ups (one slow set of how ever many you can do)Exercise #2 Lat pull down machine
Exercise #3 Lat row machine
Exercise #4 Low back machine

Insert stretches between each set.

CHEST: (about 20 minutes)
Exercise #1 Flat Bench Press
Exercise #2 Incline Bench press Machine
Exercise #3 Flat Bench Chest Fly
Exercise #4 Incline Chest fly machine

Insert stretches between each set

Do about three minutes of overall stretching. ALL DONE!

Day Two: (60 minute workout)

Walk on treadmill for 7 minute warm up.

SHOULDERS: (about 20 minutes)
Exercise #1 Overhead press machine
Exercise #2 Side lateral raise machine
Exercise #3 Front delt cable row
Exercise #4 Rear delt fly machine

TRICEPS: (about 15 minutes)
Exercise #1 Assisted Dip Machine
Exercise #2 Tricep press down cable
Exercise #3 Kickbacks

BICEPS: (about 15 minutes)
Exercise #1 Dumbbell Preacher curl
Exercise #2 Single arm cable curl
Exercise #3 Double arm hammer cable curl

Do a 3 minute overall stretch. ALL DONE! Good Luck!

RE: THANKS!!

WOW!!! Thanks so much Cathe for taking the time to set these up. It was more than I expected.

Thanks again,
Susan

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.