Help! What to wear to a baptism?

EricaH

Cathlete
We've been invited to a baptism and I don't know what we should wear.

My three teenage sons want to wear cargo pants, polo shirts and sneakers. I thought they should wear dress pants, dress shoes, shirt and tie.

I'm a SAHM and never wear anything but jeans or workout clothes. Here's what I found in my closet:

A simple, black dress (a little tight)

A coral colored dress (a little tight)

black dress pants (very tight :eek: ) with a nice purple shirt

I can't buy anything new because DH was just laid off.

Thanks!

Erica

Your teenage sons deffinitely should NOT go in cargo pants and sneakers. If you can find somewhere in your closet a nice pair of dress slacks and a cardigan set that is what I would reccomend. Think work casual. The black dress would work if you have a colorful cardigan to go with it, but all black would seem to funeral and your celebrating life. You'd be surprised what you can find a Target for less than $20. If you have a Target or even Walmart. If all else fails, . . . spanx from Target will get the other dress to fit you like a glove and I know that they aren't that expensive there. Hope you have lots of fun.

I'm european so for special occasions I dress quite formally. Even dinner with family so a baptism is a big deal. However, I find this really isn't the case with the rest of society. Khaki pants and shirt for the men, and a summer dress for the women is the norm. So very sad.

I would suggest dressing up your kids sans khaki but rather formal. Dress pants, tie, etc. For you both the dark and light dresses are fine if those are your only options. I'm guessing the problem is that they are a little tight but you have to work with what you have. Maybe a jacket over the dress or a pashmina.

In any case I'm certain your family will look fab, and my guess is that many of the guest will be dressed quite informally so you certainly won't feel under dressed, and you should never feel over dressed.

Have fun and good luck.

Most churches are much more relaxed these days when it comes to what's considered proper attire. People wear everything from jeans to suits and ties in the church I attend and nobody feels out of place. It's a personal choice.

Personally, I will usually wear a dress or dress slacks for Sunday morning. Otherwise, I'll dress in jeans or something much more casual.

I honestly don't think the kids would be out of place in cargo pants and sneakers. :) It just depends on where it's being held and how they normally dress. Maybe you could ask whoever sent the invitation?

I agree that the simple black dress would be fine. Don't worry about it. :) Maybe you can throw a sweater over your dress and no one will notice it's a little snug. ;)

My DD was just baptized in August and people wore all kinds of stuff. Dress included:

Women in Summery, Floral Dresses (most sleeveless because it was hot that day)
Women in Dress Pants/Nice tops
Men in suits
Men in khakis and long-sleeved shirts

I think you can't go wrong with the black dress or the black pants. As another poster suggested, throwing a cardigan over the top would be perfect. For your boys--I would say khakis and polo shirts or a long sleeved shirt. (That's actually what my DH wore--a long sleeved, button down shirt and khakis. DD's godfather actually wore a suit.)

Thanks so much for your replies! They were all very helpful!

I don't have a cardigan, but I'll figure something out. Maybe it will be cold and I'll just wear my jacket. Or, maybe I can lose a couple of pounds in a week and my nice pants will fit better! :p

Thanks again! :)

Erica

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.