Help...Need Glute Advice

kimmy0169

Cathlete
Hi,

I seriously need help in the glute department! I do lunges forwards and backward, static lunges, squats, and plies, but am still not getting results. I do know step ups work, but my problem is that I cannot use a step higher than about 10 inches. My knees protest. My question is do I continue to use a 10" step with very heavy weights or am I wasting my time? This is the only area that is not shaping up, the rest of my body is progressing fine.

Help anyone???

Add kickboxing drills, especially side and rear push-kicks, as well as long-lever single-joint strength work (side and rear long-leg lifts) to target the gluteals.

A-jock

buttblaster

Hi Kimmy! Hang in there and Don't give up! You will get there!

I'm just chiming in here since Cathe is away mastering these very plans to raise our booties even higher and tighter!

We all know that there is no such thing as spot reduction and that diet plays the most important important role in maintaining or lowering our bodyfat levels! Consistency in clean eating coupled with a well designed program (aerobic activities, strength training & flexibilty) will always promote positive results. If you are doing all of these components then there are many other exercises that can help you IMPROVE this area ! The exercises that you are doing are great but you may have plateaued and overused these exercises causing an imbalance around your knees! As with any imbalance you need to strengthen the surrounding muscles before you go back to what you were doing! Work on that and while you are doing leg workouts now try to do go Beyond the basic butt workouts and give your butt a boost by thinking both isolation (glute lift) and compound (one-legged squat). "Isolation exercises work specific muscles deeply," "Compound moves use your glutes as well as your legs and abs to keep your body stable." Put them together and you've worked your muscles as completely as you can. An example of this is the One-Legged Squat)(try a peterson step up) and One-Legged Glute Lift! You can stand on your tall box holding a bar for balance for this and work each leg on top of the box with glute lifts, (add ankle weights later for resistance) then you can work the full leg front,side and back to balance everything out!

The bridge is another excellent exercise which functionally trains the glutes. By adding a resistance band such as the Band Loop to this exercise resistance to turning the hip, thigh and knees outwards will help you achieve a greater isolation of the gluteus maximus than could be otherwise be accomplished.

Starting position:
Lay on your back and place the band loop around your thighs just above your knees
Place your feet directly under your knees
If necessary tie a knot in the band to allow for more resistance The exercise:
Maintain normal respiration (avoid holding your breath!)
Squeeze your glutes tightly
Push your knees outwards against the band
Slowly lift your tailbone, then buttocks, and then lower back up in sequence
Slowly lower the bridge from the top down
Relax Repetitions:
Perform 8-10 repetitions very slowly twice a day (up to 10 seconds/repetition)
Increase to 3 sets over time

Not sure what else you have access to but if you have cables you can do cable glute kickbacks, use a glute blaster if you don't have that it can always be mimicked on the floor with a bent knee and a dumbell behind your knee. While on the floor you can focus on pelvic tilts , bridges, fire hydrants, hamstring curl, and other leg extension exercises. If you have a stability ball, more endless options , alot of great glute exercises can be done on these, here's a link to check out some moves!
http://www.mochasofa.ca/health/program/expert/02april29a.asp

HTH have fun isolating those glutes

;)

Umm... I am FAR from an expert, but when I asked for advice (about my shoulders) a few weeks ago I learned that I was actually using too much weight and so I was recruiting my trapezius instead of isolating my delts when I did my side lateral raises. Could the same thing be happening to you maybe? Like maybe if you cut back a little on the weight you'd have better luck isolating the muscle you're interested in?

Amanda

Can you get full extension through the hip joint to perform these exercises properly? The glutes function is to extend and externally rotate the hip. If your hip flexors and hamstrings are tight, then that will limit the range of extension through the hip joint.

To test for shortness in the hip flexors, lie on your back with one leg straight and hug the other leg to your chest by bending the knee and grasping the back of your thigh with your hands. If the upper thigh of the bent leg cannot touch the chest and the back of the lower leg of the leg on the floor cannot touch the floor, then you have a shortness in your hip flexor muscles.

Test for hamstring tightness the same way but instead of hugging the knee to your chest, try to brng it straight up to a vertical position without bending either knee.

If the muscles you are trying to work are already too tight, then the goal is to work on stretching them to develop a new resting length and correct the imbalance between the hip flexors and hip extensors. Then they will derive the full benefits of strength training.

-Roe

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.