Help! Lower back pain from sitting job?

Is it possible to have chronic lower back pain due to sitting on the job all day? I have an office job where I have to sit A LOT. Periodically, I do have to get up to take care of a few other things, but I primarily sit about 80% of the day. I have tried switching chairs, using a travel pillow to support my lumbar area, etc. but some days, there is just no relief (other than maybe a few doses of Ibuprofen). I know that one of the tricks to alleviate lower back pain is to strengthen the abs.......but are there any exercises or stretching maneuvers specifically targeted for your lumbar area? I feel it is job related because after work and on the weekends when I am not sitting I do feel some relief.

I exercise on a daily basis with cardio and weights, so it's not like just because I sit on my job all day long that I don't exercise at all otherwise. Sometimes I still have lower back pain even while I'm exercising, but not as bad as I feel at the end of a day of sitting.

Any suggestions are MUCH appreciated......thank you!!!!

Not Cathe, obviously :), but I have found that dead lifts help me tremendously with lower back pain. I've had three little ones whom I've had to tote around over the years, and dead lifts (coupled with lots of core work) has really strengthened my lower back. Also, stretches like downward dog and child's pose at the end of day should help.

Not Cathe either, but I have the exact same problem as you. I sit all day at a desk and now I always have lower back pain. Even when I am exercising I sometimes can really feel it in my lower back and I need to be careful. What I find helps is stretching. I still need to find time to fit more of it in but when I do my back feels a whole lot better. As for specific stretches I would suggest looking on the internet for ones that target your lumbar area. For me I find stretches where I am bending forward helps me with the stiffness.

Cheryl

That's ok, if none of you aren't Cathe, I know how busy she is and I appreciate anyone else that isn't Cathe, just taking the time out of their day to respond to my thread. It's nice to have the support and understanding of others who are going through the same thing, or have had similar experiences.......even if we don't have the professional answers! I am grateful for the suggestions just the same and will take heed to them! :)

~Ruby~ :D

Hi Ruby

(not Cathe either :))

I have the same problem. And since everything is connected I have had problems with my shoulder, the piriformis and my sciatica.

I have found some relief and help by using the steps and exercises in this book, "8 Steps to a Pain-Free Back", by Esther Gokhale.

Check her out on Amazon and Youtube.

HTH
:D

Back pain

Hi Ruby,

I just want to caution you about being careful with deadlifts if you have lower back pain. I have been struggling for the past 6-9 months with terrible lower back pain. I go to the chiropractor, take a few weeks off of exercising (except for walking) and it feels better but I'm finally learning that deadlifts are one exercise I can not do. They are just too hard on my lower back.

Having said that, it's just my experience, obviously others don't have the same problem but I just thought I'd mention it.

Hope your back feels better every day!!!

Steph

Janis - I too am having back problems. Started with dead lifts... Anyway, thanks so much for the tip about Esther!

QUOTE=Janis;2018194]Hi Ruby

(not Cathe either :))

I have the same problem. And since everything is connected I have had problems with my shoulder, the piriformis and my sciatica.

I have found some relief and help by using the steps and exercises in this book, "8 Steps to a Pain-Free Back", by Esther Gokhale.

Check her out on Amazon and Youtube.

HTH
:D[/QUOTE]

Not Cathe, but a certified trainer...

Also, nothing even close to Cathe here, but I am a Certified Personal Trainer, and I have several clients who have come to me in your same situation with the low back pain...

I would really like to recommend you take some time to incorporate some yoga stretches as well as neck stretches throughout your day, as your neck can carry over to cause low back pain. If you are hunched forward or have your head down alot of the day, your lower back will be overcompensating to let you hang forward....Try these few stretches throughout your day....

1. Head circles...put down your pen or stop typing and do 8 head circles clockwise and 8 counterclockwise SLOWLY and stop when you feel a tight spot and hold while you take 3 deep breaths slowly....
2. Shoulder shrugs...sitting on the edge of your chair, inhale and bring your shoulders to your ears and then exhale and relax them all the way down your back. repeat 3-4 times
3. Forward bend....while seated push your chair back from your desk, and open your knees and roll your body down slowly to hang between your knees....stay there and breath 3 deep breaths, all the while think about relaxing your low back.
4. Seated Twist.....sit on the edge of your chair and place your left hand on the outside of your right knee and your right hand on the chair behind your and twist, pulling your belly button into your spine. Hold for 3 breaths and then switch sides and repeat.
5. Standing low back stretch.... Stand at your desk and lift your right knee up and hug it towards your chest, and hold for 3 breaths (do this against your desk if you don't have much balance) then repeat on the other side.
6. Spinal rolls....Stand with your feet hip width apart, and start by tucking your chin into your chest and one vertebrae at a time, roll down slowly, bending your knees until you are hanging all the way down with bent knees to protect your back, then slowly as you breathe, stack your spine back up one vertebrae at a time with your head coming up last. Do that 3 times...you're back will just feel like you've had a massage!:)

When you do your exercises, focus on strengthening the upper back to hold you up properly so that your low back doesn't overcompensate for poor posture. Back rows, and reverse flyes and lying hyperextensions can do wonders for improving your posture so that you allow your low back to not have to work so hard. And after exercise, really stretch your hip flexors and hamstrings well, as they get very tight from sitting...Also, do NOT neglect core work!!!

One other thing you might try is make sure your chair fits you ergonomically. When seated, check that your back fits comfortably against the backrest and your legs should be at a 90 degree angle with feet flat on the floor...if they are not, put a phone book or other block under your feet so that you can make them flat.

There, I hope that offers you all some sort of relief! It has helped my clients! Have a healthy day!

This may sound bizarre and it would depend on the type of office environment you are in, but what about if you alternate sitting on your chair and a stability ball - a colleague of mine did that for years and swore by it - it really helped strengthen and stabilize her core and improve her posture. One hour in the chair, another on the stability ball. She also had chronic lower back problems....again, you need to work in a place where sitting on a brightly colored ball is acceptable :), and I don't actually know if a personal trainer would verify the efficacy of this but I figured it couldn't hurt to throw it out there....good luck!

I was experiencing the same thing, but thought it was from crossing my legs while sitting at work. Last year I used a stability ball instead of my office chair for months and it helped UNTIL I figured out how to cross my legs sitting on the ball. Try to think about your posture while you are at work and hopefully you will notice some improvement.

Good luck!

Lower Back Pain

I just wanted to say that I use a stability ball at my computer at work. I also have lower back exercises that I do, too, recommended by my chiropractor.

Patti

Are you tight in your hips/hip flexor area? Sometimes stiffness or lack of flexibility in that region can result in lower back pain (because of muscle compensation, poor posture, etc.).

Thanks everyone for your replies! Was out of town for a bit and didn't get to check in on this thread.....WOW, you all are awesome with your replies and suggestions.

Unfortunately, I do not think a stability ball would be allowed in my office since my desk is too visible to the public. I did try switching chairs at work and although it helped a teeny bit, I might have to try to find some type of fancy ergonomic chair (like Jodelle suggested) and purchase it on my own.......because I highly doubt my employers would pay for something other then a standard chair. At least I've figured out the longer I'm away from work, like long holiday weekends, vacations, etc. I DO get relief, so I'm starting to think perhaps it's more of a muscular issue then just a skeletal problem. Who knows???!!!!

Again, thanks for all the replies and suggestions! :D:D:D:D

P.S. Jodelle......those exercises sound EXCELLENT! I will be printing them off and getting them laminated to keep at my desk for sure!!!
Janis - looking at my cheapest books website to try to find your suggested book: "8 Steps to a Pain-Free Back", by Esther Gokhale

Last edited:
Is it possible to have chronic lower back pain due to sitting on the job all day? I have an office job where I have to sit A LOT. Periodically, I do have to get up to take care of a few other things, but I primarily sit about 80% of the day. I have tried switching chairs, using a travel pillow to support my lumbar area, etc. but some days, there is just no relief (other than maybe a few doses of Ibuprofen). I know that one of the tricks to alleviate lower back pain is to strengthen the abs.......but are there any exercises or stretching maneuvers specifically targeted for your lumbar area? I feel it is job related because after work and on the weekends when I am not sitting I do feel some relief.

I exercise on a daily basis with cardio and weights, so it's not like just because I sit on my job all day long that I don't exercise at all otherwise. Sometimes I still have lower back pain even while I'm exercising, but not as bad as I feel at the end of a day of sitting.

Any suggestions are MUCH appreciated......thank you!!!!

Hi Rubydoo! You have already received great advice so I will just reiterate some of which I know is great plus add a bit more.

1) Definitely get up out of your chair for 5 to 7 minutes of 75 minutes that you are seated and do back stretching.

2) Push away from your desk and slowly lean forward letting your hands reach down toward your feet (go only as far as you comfortably can). Hold there for 15 to 30 seconds.

3) Then sit up slowly and do some slow spinal rotations looking over your right shoulder and then your left.

4) Then tilt your head to side slowly and let your right ear lower toward your right shoulder and hold for 10 seconds before switching sides.

5) Stand up and do a forward fold and then clasp you hands behind you (while your head is still hanging down ) and stretch them up in air to expand your chest.

6) Lie on your back on the floor and reach and stretch over your head just the way you would for your morning stretch.

7) Roll over onto your belly and do 30 reps of supermans (either opposite arm and leg alternate lifting or lift arms and legs up together).

8) Now go back to your desk and use a stability ball in place of a chair for the next 15 minutes before going back to your chair.

Repeat these steps every 90 minutes.

Good Luck!

Thanks Cathe.......I've tried incorporating everyone's suggestions into my daily routine at work and things are starting to help! Such great suggestions........you ALL are wonderful for responding........many thanks! ~Ruby~ :):D:cool:

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.