HELP I can't put my baby down

Oh my gosh. He is too adorable. I would love to hold him all day. But I can relate. My baby(he's 4 now) was the same way and he had colic. All he wanted to do was be held and nurse. He did not sleep through the night or nap long. It wore me out to the point I didn't get to enjoy it as much because I was exhausted! Now I turn around and he's 4 and there are no more babies:-( My only saving grace was the swing and the vacuum. I had very clean carpets though:) Good luck and enjoy him. He really is to cute for words.

Oh yes you can . We all do.
It is not a bad thing.It is called love.
They get used to things just like us.
Oh he is precious.
I would have a hard time putting him down too.
I love little ones.They are so pretty and innocent and just need love.
And i love babies soft skin.
I always rubbed my grandsons head with my chin when he was a baby.
Now he is an ornry monkey. Climbs everything .

http://www.picturetrail.com/acatalina

"He's too little to be left to cry. Enjoy him. Hold him as much as you can while you still can He'll manage the transition to daycare. Babies are resilient creatures.

You can't "spoil" a two month old baby."

I second Shelley!!!

What a cutie patootie! Bring him over here, I'll hold him for you:)

I found this, which is interesting and should help appease any thoughts you may have of spoiling him.

"Until a baby is six months old, studies have shown that picking her up when she cries, and indeed, catering to her every need will not spoil her. In fact, she till turn out to be happier, more self-reliant, calmer, than if she does not receive attention when she cries. She will probably cry less in the long run and be more trusting of the person who comes to her when she wants or needs attention.

However, a periodic 15-minute break from a fussy baby will not hurt your baby. Neither will letting him cry while you go to the bathroom, finish a phone conversation, or put the clothes in the dryer."

Another suggestion...

Hi Susan,

I know everyone here is saying, hold him - it goes by so fast. And I do agree that it goes by super fast. BUT, I have a 3 1/2 year old and 18 month old twins. So, the deal with twins is, you can't hold both of them all the time. (I applaud anyone who can for more than 10 - 15 minutes, it's hard!)

Here is what I had to do with my daughter (3 1/2 yr old) when she was about 2 months. She got so accustomed to me holding her that she wouldn't let me put her down. I used a technique (that sounds so cold, but it isn't) I read in The Baby Whisperer. Basically, it's called pick up/put down. When you put down your little angel boy, and he cries, pick him right back up. Sooth him until he's calm and then immediately put him back down. If he cries, pick him right back up. Sooth him until he's calm and immediately put him back down. You get the idea. It might take about 10 or 15 minutes, but he will realize that you are there to see to his needs and he really can be on his own. You're building his trust in you and his independence at the same time.

I also believe there's no such thing as spoiling an infant - but sometimes it's nice to watch them play in the playpen happily while you do whatever you needed to do. And there's nothing to say that once you've completed your task, you can't pick him up, smother him with kisses and say how proud you are of him!!

My twins learned early on that they sometimes had to wait, and they adapted very quickly and well. (As did my older daughter, BTW.) My favorite memories of the first 6 months with the babies was of my daughter telling my son (while I nursed my daughter), "It's ok, I'm right here. Mommy is right here, too. You don't have to cry - we love you!" That's a direct quote from a then 2 year old.

Hope that helps in the times that he doesn't want to go in the swing.

Good luck and congratulations on your beautiful baby boy!

Tricia

RE: Another suggestion...

I agree with many of you. You can't spoil a baby. They do need to know how to begin comforting themselves at some point too. I think you need to hold them enough to let them know they can count on you when they really need it. That was my goal with my three.

First two were 18 months apart and then it was 2 1/2 years so had 3 in four years. They all went to sleep right away and learned to get themselves back to sleep when they awoke at night.

I began letting them cry a little longer when they were getting more mobile and counting on themselves for "entertainment" more.

It is also hit and miss with differing personalities.

You will have to see what works for both of you, but I remember the most important thing was not to be frustrated because they pick up on that one quickly. ;-)

Best of luck with whatever you feel you need to do !

RE: Another suggestion...

I just want to second Tricia's recommendation of The Baby Whisperer - it's an excellent book. We used the pick-up/put down with my youngest child and it worked so well. Of course, that's just one child and every one is different.

I have twins also. I found that my one son hated the swing, but he liked for me to swing him while he was in his infant carrier. He was a difficult baby and this was the only thing that would soothe him. So, I would hold one baby and swing the other one. DH and I both had callouses on our hands from swinging the one baby so much!

Erica

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.