Help for a new runner!

BethanyM

Hello-

I've lurked around for while and have only posted a couple of times. I have been using Cathe for about a year (Love her!) and started running about a month ago. 2 to 3 times a week up to 3 or 4 miles a session. And pretty darn slow! (14-15 min mile)

My right knee has been bothering me and I am wondering if it is just due to the adjustment of my body to a new exercise or if there may be a problem. I went to a recommended running store to buy my shoes. I don't want to give up but I don't want to injure myself either. Can anyone give advice to a new runner about what to expect and what to watch out for? Do you think the problem may be with my shoes or something I am doing?

Thanks for any help!
Bethany

hi bethany. sorry to hear that you are having knee problems. unfortunately although running is a great form of cardio it is prone to injury. my husband has been jogging for 25 years and has had off and on issues with his knee and now his hip area. i love to run mostly trail runs but i do so with extreme caution. i make sure that i warm up with a fast paced walk and then i make sure that my form is right and i keep my eyes faced in front of me to avoid a trip or fall. i also have found that cathe video's with the weight training has strengthen my leggs and arms and has given me better flexability and form while running. my best advice to you if you are feeling pain is to STOP. do not run on an injury because you WILL make it worse, . . i learned that the hard way. it will also take you much longer to recover. also make sure that you stretch after and how are those shoes feeling? i think that just as form is important with aerobic exercises and lifting it is just as important with running. i also take a womens multivitamin and a glucosamine and chondroitin for my joints. i love this site for running information. i hope it helps.
http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/news/article.asp?UAN=2061&v=4&sp=334597560896588915252
oh and hey a 14-15 minute mile is great for a beginner!

Hi Bethany,

Although you are using good shoes, it might be worth looking into getting orthtics made. I started wearing them several years ago, and even though my knees didn't hurt before, I just felt so much more limber after I started using them. Having said that, you do need to adjust to them gradually in order to prevent further injury and blisters. Another thing to keep in mind is that it is very importan to stretch your IT bands (illio-tibial bands) after running. Lots of runners, especially long distance runners, find that they get quite tense and end up pulling on their knee caps, in turn causing pain and discofort. This is very common and can usually be treated with stretching, and in more serious cases with therapy. Good luck with your running and don't let this discourage you. Just remember to listen to your body and treat all aches and pains before they turn into something more serious.

Take care,

Ady

Hi Bethany~
Welcome to running! :) You've already gotten sound advice about not running through pain and making sure to stretch thoroughly, but one other thought to consider is that perhaps you've started off doing too much too soon. Personally, I think 8-12 miles/week is a lot for someone totally new to running, even if you are fit. Your body does need time to adapt to running on hard surfaces.

I would go back to the store where you bought your shoes, and let them know what is going on. They might recommend a cushioned insert - I use SuperFeet and that does make a world of difference for me. Or they might determine that you are not, in fact, in the right pair of shoes. It is hard to say with any certainty what exactly the problem is because I do think some amount of aches & pain are normal when you start running for the first time.

You might want to check out Runner's World's 8-week beginner training program: http://www.runnersworld.com/article/0,7120,s6-238-261--9397-0,00.html (not sure if that is the same link posted previously) and remember - a good rule of thumb is not to increase time or distance by more than 10% per week. With running, it's best to play it safe & build slowly, IMO.

Good luck! I hope the knee pain disappears.
Cathy :)

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.