Heaviest weight for home gyms?

LizC7

Cathlete
Hi Everyone,
I'm noticing I can increase the weight I'm using for Cathe's lifting DVD's. Then I see posts from people who use kettle bells over 100 pounds for leg work etc. I want to have effective workouts but don't really have that heavy a weight available in my home gym. Just curious how heavy those of you go in your home gyms.
Thanks!
Liz

My dumbbells only go to 35 lbs but I have a lot of plates for my barbell, so I can go has heavy as I can handle safely. It also helps to have a weighted vest so I don't have to put as much on the barbell. I also have a quad and hamstring combo machine at home that I put my 25lb plates on for more heavier leg work.

I have pairs of dumbells up to 35 lbs, 120 lbs of plates, straight bar, and an ez-bar. I also picked up some short bars to use with the plates so I don't have to buy any more dumbells 40+. I rarely use dumbells over 35 lbs, but my teen son keeps saying how he'd like heavier dumbells. lol So far, I only have kettlebells up to 25 lbs.

I have pairs of dumbells up to 35 lbs, 120 lbs of plates, straight bar, and an ez-bar. I also picked up some short bars to use with the plates so I don't have to buy any more dumbells 40+. I rarely use dumbells over 35 lbs, but my teen son keeps saying how he'd like heavier dumbells. lol So far, I only have kettlebells up to 25 lbs.
Getting short bars to make your own dumblells is BRILLIANT! What a great tip...THANKS!

Getting short bars to make your own dumblells is BRILLIANT! What a great tip...THANKS!
I use to have them, but found them too big and hard to work with during a lot of moves. Maybe they make them smaller now, but when I had them, I hated them. I do use my easy curl bar mostly instead of a long bar, I find it easier to use. I've never tried kettle bells, is there a need to have them if you have dumbbells?

100 lbs in plates and up to 40 lbs in dumbbells. For my dumbells I have pairs in everything except the 40lb. I only have one and pretty much use this only when doing 1 handed plie squats. I also have a 10lb weighted vest that I use from time to time. Ankle and wrist weights too.

I have dumbbells up to 50 pounds, tons of plates for my barbell (about 200# worth), a squat rack and bench, weighted vest, kettlebells up to 50#. And lots more, but that's the heavy stuff.
Hi Jen
Thank you for this. What squat rack and bench do you use?
Thanks,
Liz

like firemedic, I find the short bar dumbells a little cumbersome, but they're ok for 1 arm rows, plie squats etc.
I've been thinking about getting plate mates for quick, incremental increases- anyone tried them? They're not cheap, and I won't get any without feedback from you lot!

Liz--I have a Weider bench and a Valor squat rack/bench press. I love them both.

Justine--I use platemates. I have 1.25 pound ones and 2.5 pound ones. The 1.25 ones work great, but the magnets on the 2.5 ones are not strong so they slide off the ends of the dumbbells. I read reviews and apparently it's not just the set I got--lots of people experience this. So unfortunately they are not as useful as my 1.25 pound ones. I can really only use them for lower body exercises and things like bent over rows since I have to set them on the top of my dumbbells rather than on the ends (so I can't use them for any move that requires the dumbbell to change directions since that will make the platemates slide off onto the floor).

I have the short bar dumbbells as well and I don't care for them either. I still use them when I need to, but they are usually my last resort.

I have dumbbells from 2# up to 45#. About 200#s worth of plates - my favorites are the 1.25# plates that I found at Goodwill of all places!

I have a weight vest that goes up to 40# but I am not crazy about using it fully loaded. I feel like it impedes my breathing.

Wrist weights - 1#, 1.5#, 2# and 2.5# - are something that I use a lot. I thought about plate mates but opted for the wrist weights instead. I have 1# weighted gloves, so I can double up and have a 3# and 3.5# addition. Really makes a difference in adding incremental loads.

I also have a range of med balls, Valor Squat rack (love it), straight bars, curl bars and hammer curl bars.

I work from my home gym as a personal trainer, so I have loads of fitness toys.

Debbie Russo

Hi everyone,

I have about 220-300# of weight in total. I have a squat rack and Weight bench, high step and will add a club full step. Having just moved in a new apartment, I still need to check to know the exact weight.

I probably don't need all that but it make sense to set everything ready for STS,without wasting time. ;);)
I have two ez barbells, believe it or not I got one extra without paying for it ;-), two straight bar,three sets of short bars to load plates, an adjustable dumbbell set from 4 - 55pound, an adjustable weighted vest up to 40 pound;):oops::oops:. All my BB are weighted for about 10 -14 lbs. I also have few fixed weighted dumbbells.

My adjustable dumbbell can be incremented by 2.3 lbs. I mainly use it for squat, lunges and deadlift. Especially for deep plie squat and one arm row traditional hold only. It's bulky therefore can not be used for triceps for example.

So I have enough toys to play with. ;-):););)

Last edited:
Thank you! I'll look into getting some of those rather than the plate mates.

plate mates are helpful for small increment working small muscle such as shoulders.
Big muscles need heavy load. That is the reason why most home exercisers go for bowflex or selectech.
Example Back need heavier increments than 1/2 lbs.

I purchased this below and I am very happy with it.
Not cheap but I needed it for STS. It survived moving houses so I can not complain.

Last edited:
Hi Nathalie - not been able to find any yet in the UK! I have micro-load gloves (up to 1kg), but they're a pain to take on and off for short-rest workouts. I've been doing some research, and I may just buy some heavy magnets. My DBs are 4kg, 6kg, 8kg, 10kg (after that I use a short BB). I'd like a quick way of having DBs in between these weights.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.