Heavier Boxing Gloves for Hard Strikes?

hiho322

Cathlete
Just wondering if anyone's gotten heavier boxing gloves to use for Hard Strikes. I know Cathe and the gang use 12 oz., but I'm wondering, for those of you who are really strong and want to bring things up a notch, have you upped the weights to 14 or 16 oz.? And if so, what are the new results?

I got the 14 ounce gloves from amazon. I like them a lot. I had been holding one pound weights. I don't know about results yet, but my punches are better with the gloves than with the dumbbell.

They are the same pink brand. Also, some people on amazon complained about an odor, but mine don't have any odor. They sure are fun to wear.

Melissa

Last edited:
I say go heavier:eek:
I don't have the fun boxing gloves but I did buy 3lb (each) weighted gloves; they are similar to wrist weights but wrap around the hands and the wrist, and they are much better than holding hand weights that is for sure. It certainly increases the intensity level and I love it!

I use 1 lb hand weights that wear like gloves and love them for HS and any of the boxing workouts I do. I bought the 12oz pink boxing gloves for my heavy bag and used them for a bit but recently have been using my sons 14 ounce gloves. I actually feel I could even go a little heavier too.

I've always worn my husbands 16oz gloves. He bought me lighter ones but I've always liked the heavier, bigger gloves. You don't realize how heavy they are until you try the workout without them. When I wear them, I find that during the jumping jacks, I don't get my arms all the way up. But I feel my arms and esp. my shoulders feel great after.

I was using the 12oz gloves, but as I was heading into my 3rd month of the 90-day XTRAIN rotation, I was not really feeling it. Yesterday when I did Hard Strikes, I decided to put one 1/2lb bean bag weight from my 2lb weight gloves in each 12oz glove. The difference was amazing! I could definitely feel it better in the arms. Not too sore today, but tomorrow may be different. :cool:

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.