Heart Rate Monitor

hrcfitness

Cathlete
I just read the article in this weeks newsletter on Heart Rate monitors...which one do you all use? I have zero idea on what to get...any input would be great!
Thanks
Elena

I have a Polar ft4. It still works just fine. It gives me heart rate, calories burned, time in target zone, you can set your target zone. Not too expensive, they always seem to be about 100-150$. I do a have a Garmin with GPS for outside.

Polar Ft4 here, too. It does all I need it to do and never gives me any trouble.
Plus, it synchs with my spinning computer and I didn't even have to do a thing!

Polar is one of the best in the market - they are they leaders. Get a Polar for sure. I've been using a Polar for over 20 years. There are some pretty simple ones and some of them give you lots of information. I have the older version of the Polar FT4 - I love it.

Ditto on the FT4. I have had it for 8 months and it's been relatively trouble free. Sometimes it fritzes out while I'm working out, but this has only happened a handful of times. It is annoying, though. I still would recommend it. The only small complaint is that when you're doing push ups or plank work, it can be a little annoying, but this is only notable to me because I've never been a watch wearer so I'm not accustomed to having something on my wrist.

My husband and I use the Polar H7 Bluetooth sensor with the Polar Beat ap for my IPad and IPhone. Its awesome! It even shows me a graph of my heart rate. Does lots of cool stuff! I use a lot of the settings for the variety of workouts I do. It has GPS. Shows calories burned, max heart rate, heart rate zones, easy to look up past workouts, and much more. I use to only care about calories burned, but now I'm an Exercise Science major studying to be a physical therapist so I want all the info I can get.
The sensor and strap cost me $70.
HTH,
Reece

I have the F4 and the H7 - and i have to say i really love the H7. Someone gave it to me as a gift and I already had the F4 and I thought at first I would return it, but as the pp said you can use it with the Polar Beat app on the iphone and see all the great graphs and when you peak and it is pretty sweet for me to have freedom from the watch you wear (don't like things on my wrists when sweating).

Either way, these are both great, reasonably priced choices.

With Polar H7 Do you Wear Your iPhone During a Workout?

Hi Reece or anyone else who uses the Polar H7!

I notice you use the Polar H7 Bluetooth with your iPhone using Polar Beat app. I'm looking to get this. How do you follow your feedback? Do you just look at your phone's app after your workout or do you wear your iPhone like the Polar watches during your workout to be able to see your heartrate etc in real time? If you do wear it during your workout what holder do you use to strap it on and do you strap it to your forearm? I would think using an upper arm holder wouldn't allow you to see it much. :eek: And do you find it straps securely and not bulky while your working out? And what type of workouts are you doing with it? I'm concerned about the bulkiness of it strapped to my arm when doing a Cathe step/circuit/metabolic training/weights whiles flailing my arms around etc. lol! Thanks for your help! :D

Hi Reece or anyone else who uses the Polar H7!

I notice you use the Polar H7 Bluetooth with your iPhone using Polar Beat app. I'm looking to get this. How do you follow your feedback? Do you just look at your phone's app after your workout or do you wear your iPhone like the Polar watches during your workout to be able to see your heartrate etc in real time? If you do wear it during your workout what holder do you use to strap it on and do you strap it to your forearm? I would think using an upper arm holder wouldn't allow you to see it much. :eek: And do you find it straps securely and not bulky while your working out? And what type of workouts are you doing with it? I'm concerned about the bulkiness of it strapped to my arm when doing a Cathe step/circuit/metabolic training/weights whiles flailing my arms around etc. lol! Thanks for your help! :D

I have the Bluetooth A6. The difference between the A6 and A7 is that the A7 will connect to many gym equiptment, while the A6 does not.

I use the PolarBeat app to track my HR - but it will also sync with other HR apps (Like Runtastic, etc.)

When I run I prefer to hold my phone. I've tried upper arm holders, but I just find them uncomfortable.

When I workout with a DVD, you I put the phone on a shelf and workout. You have a pretty big range for the Bluetooth HR monitor to sync to your phone - it does not need to be on your body. I find this fantastic! But .. if you run off to the bathroom, you'll get a little error note when you get back that the signal was lost. Not a big deal.

Overall, I've had my A6 for about 2 weeks now and LOVE it. Your workouts all sync online to a web based page you can register for (Polar Flow, I believe). I'm 100% pleased with my purchase.

I have the Polar FT4 as well. I've had it probably for over 8 years. I've never had a problem with it. I had the battery changed at my local jewelers for $5 instead of sending it in. That battery has lasted now for probably 2 years or more. I think I paid around $80 for it. Money very well spent!

I have the Polar RS400, an older model that allows you to track 5 zones, not just 3. This is why I bought it. If they ever discontinue it, I'll stockpile it so I have enough to last me till the end. I haven't wanted to bother with their newer models.

Polar spent a lot of money on university sponsored research to create the Ownzone application on their HRMs. It gives a fairly accurate estimate of your VO2 max. It improves the accuracy of the number of calories burned during a workout. It is worth taking the test and setting up the HRM properly. It will also allow you to measure aerobic improvement over time.

I have the Polar RS400, an older model that allows you to track 5 zones, not just 3. This is why I bought it. If they ever discontinue it, I'll stockpile it so I have enough to last me till the end. I haven't wanted to bother with their newer models.

Polar spent a lot of money on university sponsored research to create the Ownzone application on their HRMs. It gives a fairly accurate estimate of your VO2 max. It improves the accuracy of the number of calories burned during a workout. It is worth taking the test and setting up the HRM properly. It will also allow you to measure aerobic improvement over time.

That's interesting, I have always been interested in the different set ups HRM manufacturers use, worth looking into.

The sensor and strap cost me $70.
HTH,
Reece
I have the FT60. It worked well for several months, and then on occasion, it would just stop in the middle of my workout. I sent it back to Polar as it was still under warranty. They replaced the strap, sensor, and battery, and now it works beautifully. I am very interested in purchasing the strap and sensor that you bought, Reece. A woman at my health club has one and she also loves it. I'm such a visual person. I love graphs! ;)

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.