Heart Rate Monitor

Timber99

Cathlete
Hi all, looking for a suggestion for a reasonably priced, basic heart rate monitor. Any ideas on a model and/or particularly good or bad features?

I did see the Sportline Duo 1010 at Dick's for $70 and liked it but I really don't know what to look for so far as features are concerned.

I've got the Polar F6 and like it but it may not be "reasonably priced" depending on how much you are planning on spending.

This topic is discussed quite a bit so you may want to do a 'search' and you'll find lots of hits on different types used by forum members.

I have a Polar F4 and a Mio. I am happy with both. The Mio can be a bit tricky because it doesn't have a chest strap so you have to press two fingers across the face of the watch as your heartrate changes. If you don't, it's not accurate. There are times when I can't stand having the chest strap around me - especially in the summer.

I had a Timex for years - the conductive wires on the chest strap started breaking down and it wouldn't read my heart rate anymore. BUT, I could change the battery in the chest strap, I can't with the Polar.

Check out the prices on Amazon - they have some great prices and free shipping sometimes.

I have a Polar F4. I've had the wrist unit for years. I recently replaced the chest strap it originally came with (after the battery died) with the new WearLink one--you can replace the battery on those. And I've replaced the battery in my wrist unit twice with no problem.

As far as features, it's a basic model but does everything I want it to. It reads heart rate (displayed as beats/minute or % of max), calories burned, and length of workout. During your workout, you have a choice of 3 displays--heartrate, timer, or time. If you hold the wrist unit close to the strap for a couple of seconds, it will flash to time of day. The workout summary gives you length of workout, time in your heart rate zone, average heart rate, maximum heart rate, and calories burned. It uses your age and weight to help determine calories burned. You can also set your own minimum and maximum heart rate for your "zone."

I have been very happy with this model. If I didn't have one, however, I would probably want the F6 so that it would link to the computer. But I think mine has a lot of life left in it.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.