Healthy Supplements - weight gain?feedback?

Cosmo Mom

Cathlete
I decided to try Tosca Reno's recommendations - I've been adding wheat germ, flaxseed (both which I love) to different foods/beverages. I'm also adding creatine (1 tsp) about 4 times a week.

My reason for doing this was to eat more fiber, feel fuller, keep up strength for STS (creatine=protein). I haven't overdone anything I dont think, but I've actually gained a couple of lbs. I did see that both the WG and FS have calories so I made sure I didnt do too much.

As far as working out and eating clean, I don't think I've done badly on either of these, but I know I've gained the weight around my stomach.

My question is has anyone else had this experience? Maybe I just tend to have really stubborn genes! That's kind of why I figured I'd do STS to SHOCK my system :)

Any experience/feedback would certainly be appreciated. Thanks girls!

Do you track your calories?

I know when I first started weight training, 9 lbs. just fell off my body. I started cleaning up my diet around the same time too, adding protein shakes and other supplements. BUT...I was eating 1400 calories a day.

Then I read one shouldn't diet too much when trying to gain muscle, something I have a hard time doing. So I started gradually upping my calories. 1500, 1600, 1700, etc.

I've since discovered that my body isn't all that impressed and will gain chub in the higher calorie range. I'm frustrated too, because I WANT to put on muscle. Instead, I put on fat. Grrr.

So...check your calories. You may be adding more than your body needs. (Figuring out what your body needs is a whole new problem. :rolleyes: )

Yes, there doesn't seem to be a magic answer. I researched my BMR (someone suggested elsewhere) and figured I should eat between 1300-1700 calories a day. I'm sure I am at the top end of that.

I'm beginning to think my desk job is really hindering me (oh well! cant quit that :))
Going home to do Imax 3!! Also did STS chest meso 2 this morning. Dont ever give up right!!?

I've read several times that creatine can cause some bloating, as it helps the muscles retain water to give them that "pumped up" appearance. Also, I believe flaxseed can be fairly high in fat or calories, and it you're using a lot of it, you may be adding more calories to your diet than what you were aware of.

I use the Hodgson Mill brand of flax seed and for two tablespoons it has 60 calories, 5 grams of fat, 4 grams of fiber, 4 carbs and 3 proteins. I also checked my wheat germ and it has 50 calories, 1 gram of fat, 2 fiber, 6 carbs and 4 grams of protein. If you think that you are using more than a couple of tablespoons of each of these, you could easily be upping your calories. Just make sure to factor those totals into your daily calorie count.

Last edited:

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.