HCG diet... anyone try this?

Mom25

I have heard people lose a ton of weight on this... I would love to hear from others who may have tried it. Also, it says not to work out on it. I honestly don't think I could "not" work out! I love working out... as its a HUGE stress relief for me!!

Jennifer

I think this has been discussed here previously. You might want to try to search it. From what I recall, it wasn't deemed a good way to go. Lots were saying it's not good for you IIRC.

Yeah, this diet rears it's ugly head every now and then, isn't this the one where you eat 500 calories a day and take hormone injections or drops or something? I think the recommendation to not workout, is because you could not possibly workout on 500 calories a day. 500 calories a day is absurd IMO.

I have two close friends who are on this diet (for the second time). Both wanted to lose nearly 20 pounds before riding season began last year (2010). They bought the homeopathic drops on line, something like $25, and then planned out their diets so the calories didn't exceed 500 give or take a few. In two months both lost approximately 18 pounds. Yeah, awesome right? Well now they are on round two. The results lasted until they returned to a normal eating pattern and gained the weight back, not all of it, but enough to realize why they wanted to try it again before this Spring season begins. Even though we are currently riding now along with xc skiing, snowshoeing, we are very active. I am saying this because it left them without any endurance...and when you are out 10 miles from the trailhead in the snow, who wants to be babying someone all the way back? Two strong women who are now huffing like newbies. Repeat, this is round two for both of them. I wouldn't do this for anything in the world. Your body cannot exist on 500 calories a day without causing damage in some way. I can understand the philosophy that if one is obese, the body is using fat stores for sustenance and should be fine. This is what both of my friends were told. Except, they aren't obese, they aren't even overweight. I can see doing this maybe for a few weeks at best if there was a solid reason of dropping weight for a training event and then rebuilding the muscle as soon as possible, but even then, you are going to be messing with your set-point and endurance for quite some time. This is what I am witnessing, not what I am personally experiencing, so if anyone has a positive time with this diet, please don't jump on me because I have an opinion.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.