Have you ever tried to smile?

tlc93

Cathlete
whilst doing a Cathe (or any other advanced) workout? I tried.....not happening! I still whoop, grunt, groan & if sucking wind can make a sound, I do that too! But, have you truly noticed how those beautiful ladies plaster that smile on their face for the ENTIRE WORKOUT?!?! Is that a make up trick perhaps? I don't get it...I've cried.....but that is a grimace, unpleasant and doesn't really count! Just saying......

I've tried smiling during some Cathe workouts, but I'm really testing myself to see if I could smile long enough to be in her workouts.
Needless to say it doesn't last, but who am I kidding.....me in a fitness video???
I'm sure the camera would zoom in on me as I'm cursing. LOL

LOL! I think I may have smiled a time or two. :) Moreso with the boxing routines.

I was doing a Barre3 workout this past week and I said to the TV 4-5 times "would you shut the eff up!?" One of their instructors just never stops yapping! Cathe? Never! Everything she tells me is absolutely useful. Sometimes Jai's expressions make me smile when she is struggling (or just pushing it) a bit. I agree that Cathe's background trainers look so, so good (and especially happy & relaxed during step routines). Cathe's and their enthusiasm certainly comes through. If you compare it to some other dvds, I find it's evident. I like Michelle Dozois for the most part for example, but not all of her background trainers seem so into it. Bob Harper's exercisers can look entirely miserable. I know they are real people of course, but I really really like the balance Cathe & crew shows in her dvds of workin' it, knowing your goal and being encouraging & pleasant.

Millionaire Hoy (youtube) makes me laugh a lot. He's so fun.

Wow, I went off on a tangent didn't it? o_O

Yes, I've tried this too! Total fail! I find myself smiling after a heavy set is over or during the recovery period between intervals, but definitely not during the work work part of the workout! I think Cathe's crew smiles much more than I ever could but I have noticed that even they grimace sometimes too. tlc93, check out some of the expressions during the Ripped w/HiiT series. They might not be crying like you or me, but they don't look overly pleased with some of Cathe's whip cracking. ;)

I also talk back to Cathe, but I've found that I do most of my shouting during the Live workouts--especially when the class members stop counting and Cathe makes us do more, or when the class members give Cathe the wrong rep count. I'm pretty sure the entire neighborhood can her me scream "Nooooo!" or "that was 16 reps!!!" from the workout room. How can we sound so mad when we're doing something we love so much? Ah, the craziness of a Cathlete!!! :D

Lisa

whilst doing a Cathe (or any other advanced) workout? I tried.....not happening! I still whoop, grunt, groan & if sucking wind can make a sound, I do that too! But, have you truly noticed how those beautiful ladies plaster that smile on their face for the ENTIRE WORKOUT?!?! Is that a make up trick perhaps? I don't get it...I've cried.....but that is a grimace, unpleasant and doesn't really count! Just saying......

I couldn't smile constantly during a workout, even if I wanted to. Maybe flash a smile on occasion, but if I'm working out by myself, not gonna happen. I'm usually moaning and groaning, huffing and puffing. Too busy to smile. Besides my teeth would dry out, and my lips would stick, then it would turn to a grimace. Of course, I guess smearing Vaseline on your teeth would help that. (Believe it or not, I was told to do that for my wedding reception. Didn't happen.) By-the-way, Elsie, I say that too. Yes, Lisa. I'm big on counting, as well.

Last edited:

I do smile sometimes:):)...I do grimace, whoop, grunt, groan, huff and puff (especially doing crazy 8).

I do gigle when cathy gets witty--- " Who is running to lower those weights:D:D"---High reps;)

Last edited:
I mostly smile (and laugh out loud) when it is so hard it feel ridiculous. If I'm really honest, I'm always just so happy to be able to be healthy enough and strong enough to workout, and Cathe is just the person who makes it fun. :) Also, sometimes I think of funny things you ladies say while I'm struggling. From now on every time I
whoop, grunt, groan or suck wind c
I'll smile thinking of you.

Not only have I tried to smile as if I were a background person, but, I've tried to cue the moves as if I were Cathe! Even though I may have done a workout so many time and pretty much know the routine, I cannot, for the life of me, cue it.

Nathalie....."I do gigle when cathy get's witty--- " Who is running to lower those weights:D:D"---High reps;)" SOOOO true. Like I said....Cathe CAN see us!!! Weird right?!

Yep, Cathe can read us!

Oh has anyone tried counting while lifting yet, LOL...
That is my "strategy" to help bearing the burn while pumping iron, keeping tension;)

Last edited:

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.