Have you ever had to use an Epipen?

gonnabea5

Cathlete
Last night, we found out our 16yo son has developed a severe reaction to bee family stings. He's been stung by bees and wasps ALOT; 9 times this year alone. Yesterday, he was stung by three yellow jackets at the same time. He stepped into a nest while mowing someone's grass. Whelps developed all over his body. We left urgent care with 5 medicines which included an epipen.

Wow. I'm in shock. We figured since he's been stung so many times, he must be immune to them. We were wrong.

Has anyone ever had to use an epipen?

I haven't but know someone who has...

I have a friend who used her epi pen when she developed a severe case of hives one evening after eating out. A family member drove her to the hospital after using it at home, which is what you're supposed to do, I believe. They always want to check you out to be sure the heart rate has returned to normal and see whether or not follow up meds are needed. Some people need prednisone to keep the immune system from flaring, or sometimes just antihistamines are enough. For some, the epinephrine in the pen is enough, but you always want to get medical attention to be sure your son is out of danger.

If you all didn't get any education on how to use the pen, you can find info here: http://www.epipen.com/ I carry one, and my doc showed a video, then had me use an expired pen into a pillow, so I could get a real life feel for how to do it. You always want to use it in the thickest part of the thigh. It helps to have actually used one. Patient education is important so you all aren't intimidated by it, and feel comfortable. I hope you all never have to use it, but it's a reassurance!

my epi- pen comes in a 2 pack in case i need to repeat a dose before i get to an ER

they have test pens with saline to practice.

haven't used one, but we have one

I'm sorry to hear of your son's allergy to bees. That must have been so frightening.

I have never had to use one (thankfully), but my son has one for a peanut allergy, along with a whole slew of other allergies which we discovered when he was ten. Did the doctor demonstrate how to use it? Hopefully someone showed you so you feel more comfortable.

Hope he's feeling better today! :)

Julie

Hi Shereta,

How incredibly scary for you!! Big hugs your way!! My son has anaphalactic degree food allergies to Walnuts, Peanuts, Tree-nuts, fish and shellfish. I praise God that we have not had to use his Epi-pen yet. I did find out the hard way about his food allergies when he is 1 1/2 years old. I was baking cookies and my little man came into the kitchen. I gave him the tiniest piece of walnut, he just tasted the walnut- just touched it to his toungue and he immediately broke out into hives around his mouth. I gave him Benadryl called the nurses line (who got an EpiPen prescribed immediately) and then got him within a couple of days to have his allergies tested. He was ranked extremely high/off the charts on a few of the allergens.

Thankfully he is old enough to know how to use the practice EpiPen and understands EXACTLY what anaphalaxys means. He asked me when he was six (last year) and I felt he was ready to hear the scary truth. I did NOT want him feeling brazen enough to "try it out" with nuts or any other allergens.

So far he has not been stung by a bee or other flying creature, but he knows not to go near them if he can avoid it. Bless your son's heart to have literally stepped into those nasty buggers!!

Long story short, the EpiPen JR. (in my case) has a practice EpiPen (not sure about the adult one). The instructions are right on the EpiPen and it is incredibly easy to use (Thank God!!!!). You remove the grey cap, a sharp blade will pop out of the black end on the other side, you jam it hard into the side of the thigh and hold it there for 10 seconds. Then either call 911 or get him to the ER immediately!! Make sure to bring the EpiPen with you so they can check how much of the medication actually got into his system.

Now having said that, I am not a medical professional, just a Mom who like you has had to become educated about a very scary and potentially tragic situation.

Big healing hugs to you and your family!

Pam

You all are so wonderful. I didn't mean to sound like I didn't know how to use it. I just wanted to hear some of your experiences with it. hahahahaha

But, if I didn't already know how to use it, I would now. You all are so great.

Thanks for sharing your stories.

Fortunately, I have never had to use mine but I always have them with me. I am sorry this happened, I didn't become allergic to bee stings until I had been stung multiple times in a short period of time.

I actually carry my epi-pens for my latex allergy.

Hi Shereta!

Oh gosh, I hope we didn't come across that way. Believe me, I TOTALLY understand feeling overwhelmed with the prospect of possibly needing to use it. I feel that way EVERY time I harrass people who are unaware of the severity of allergic reactions. I had posted a thread over the summer about a VBS (vacation bible study) my son had gone to. When I asked the "camp counselor" if he had the EpiPen ON HIS PERSON he said that the nurse had it at the First Aid tent.......oooooohhhhhhh BIG, BIG MISTAKE!!! Not only do I make damn sure the "camp counselors" are first aid trained, but they KNOW how the heck to use an EpiPen... I demonstrate it.

When I confronted the nurse, I became quite vocal asking her if she understood that if my son were to go into anaphylactic schock that he could have as little as 30 seconds before his heart stopped, BP dropped and his brain quit functioning AKA DEATH!!! I guess my point was made because she made damn sure that EVERY person knew about my son's KNOWN allergies as well as allergies were were not aware of yet.

I also gave them the "practice" EpiPen, offered them my EpiPen DVD and would give them a demonstration if needed.

She got it!! Honestly, you CAN NOT be too prepared or careful with these types of allergies that could ultimately cause death!! Humph!!!!!!!!

Okee dokee- We just want to support you and let you know that you and your son are loved!

Pam

My understanding is that the more you are stung by bees/wasps/hornets, etc., the MORE likely you are to develop an allergy, not less. I guess it builds up a sensitivity.

Hi Morningstar.

Yikes!! How scary about becoming more allergic! Thanks for the heads-up. I'm going to add bee-stings to the list of allergens my son is going to get tested for.

Pam

I'm loving all this love and support. Pass it on!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

MorningStar - more stings, more allergic reaction. That's what I learned, too.

'Pam' aka Epipen Phenom!!!!

My understanding is that the more you are stung by bees/wasps/hornets, etc., the MORE likely you are to develop an allergy, not less. I guess it builds up a sensitivity.

That makes sense since that's what they say about food and medicine allergies too.

Shereta, I thought of you instantly last night when my son came in with stings all over from a wasp that had gotten trapped in his shirt. Fortunately, he was okay, but he had tons of sting marks!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.