Has anyone used yoga only to tone their lower body?

BAM

Cathlete
I'm having a lot of neck/shoulder and especially back problems. It's difficult for me to do traditional exercises for the lower body. Has anyone toned their lower body with yoga only? If so, could you please tell me which tapes you used along with your success story? I need to tone saddlebags, derriere, inner thighs, you know, the whole lower hemisphere! ;-)

TIA!

I don't have a yoga-only lower body, so no success story here.

However, I can tell you that Bryan Kest's [a href="http://www.amazon.com/Bryan-Kest-Power-Intensive-Sculpting/dp/B000069YWN"]Intensive Body Sculpting[/a] always brings my legs to muscle failure. It's not even a full hour either, but I swear it kills me.

bump to Bam and thanks to laughingwater

I've been in the same boat lately (knees not back). I've been thinking how oh how am I going to challenge my legs without lunges and squats?

Hello,

Are you having problems working the lower body using weights or is it that you can't do any squats per se? If you can still do lower body exercises without weights then I would recommend Butts and Gutts and Legs and Glutes as they both can be used without weights and still be very effective. You could also do the floor segments of these workouts using ankle weights. There is one premix in Butts & Gutts that is lower body only, you can do this routine without putting pressure on your back.

I would imagine that even with yoga exercises they will still involve some squatting and weight bearing because you have to use your body weight. I used to do yoga quite a bit and I don't remember them being easy unless it was a relaxing day.

Yen

I am using both pilates and yoga with my rotation. I can tell a difference inch wise but not weight wise. Even Dave noticed I looked smaller.

Annette Bethel

I have bad knees, and don't use any weights for my lower body...if I do it's very light (5-8 pounders).
Bar Method/Callantics have done wonders for my lower body!

"Today is a Gift, Have Fun"

~Jennifer~

="http://images.meez.com/user07/3/8/4/4/4/4/8/3844448_bodyshot_300x400.gif

Thanks everyone! Right now I'm getting strain on my lower back even if I sit down and do upper body work. I'm seeing someone about this but it's not getting any better and I am NOT happy because working out has become difficult. *sigh* But I keep plugging along and I know things will be o.k. Thanks again!

Isn't it frustrating?! Hang in there! When I mess up my knees I have to constantly remind myself that hey, at least I have knees to mess up. It sounds like you have a great attitude to get yourself through it though. A lot of us have been there, all the best to you and your back!

BAM! ...I love typing your name:)

I'm friends with Jenn. She has some lower back pain too. I loaned her the Bar Method dvds, and have seen how it has worked for her. She looks great. Her thighs have slimmed down. Then again, I think Jenn's diet and constant water drinking has a lot to do with it. She's better with diet than me! If you watch your diet, you should be fine until you heal.

Whenever I have lower back pain, I've found yoga to help lengthen my spine and reduce the pain. I've found downward dogs help the most. Just make sure you're in good alignment. Try concentrating on lifting your hips even if that means bending your knees. When you're doing forward bends, bend those knees to get a straight back. Rodney Yee's Power Yoga Total Body has a lot of lunges and doesn't kill you with sun salutations. You might want to skip the back bends though and sub with a modified bridge. I'm not sure of the name... it's the one where you're on your back, knees bent, feet on the floor hip distance apart, with straight arms grasp your palms underneath your back while pulling your chest up and pressing your scaplua blades together and lifting your glutes. I feel that pose more in my glutes and hamstrings while opening up my chest.

Wendy

Oh yeah Nadia, frustrating to say the least but what you were eluding to, be thankful for what you do have, is what gets you through. I'm happy! :)

>>>>>BAM! ...I love typing your name <<<<<
Wendy, that's too funny! Type away!!!!:7

>>>>>I'm friends with Jenn. She has some lower back pain too. I loaned her the Bar Method dvds, and have seen how it has worked for her. She looks great. Her thighs have slimmed down. Then again, I think Jenn's diet and constant water drinking has a lot to do with it. She's better with diet than me! If you watch your diet, you should be fine until you heal. <<<<<<

Um, watch your diet? That does NOT compute! }( :p

Thanks for that very detailed decription of that pose. I know exactly what you mean. I do have the Bar Method videos. I found them at a local closeout store. Perhaps I should re-visit them......as I'm eating my ice cream sandwich! :9 :+

It is a small world!!! How are ya?! We got rain yesterday YES!! You know what else makes a small world, when bidding on eBay. If anyone's name looks familiar, I don't bid against....:D Ahh, the life of a vidiot. Now back to our regularly scheduled thread.

Annette Bethel

This is the first time I've ever heard of Bar Method. What is it? What dvds do you recommend and from who do you recommend I get them? I'm very satisfied with the changes in my upper body, doing Cathe weight training. But I'm very anxious to get the fat off my lower body. One more remark about my "big legs" and I just might blow. This sounds like something I might really want to rotate in with what I'm doing. Can you advise?

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.