Has anyone done STS without doing the 1RM?

Hi there

I have had STS since Nvember and have started it twice and have never got past week two. I find the 1RM a bit of a pain in the rear so I have sarted it (again!) and this time am determined to keep it up, but I am not doing the 1RM, it´s just too time consuming! Instead I am increasing my weight each week (adding on 0.5/1 kilo each week) but of course some exercises for example shoulders, are difficult to add 5%. For ex if I use 4 kilos for lateral raises, how do you add 5%?

Anyway, I was just wondering if anyone else has done STS without doing the 1RMes

Mandy

Mandy,

I have (am) doing STS w/o the 1RM. Before it was released I worked on the 1RM test but never completed them. I have done meso 1 & 2 several times & parts of meso 3. I am now on meso 3 wk 4 (going through as is like I should ;) ) & I never did the 1 RM. I just kind of figured it out as I went along. If I felt my weight was to heavy or to light for that particular exercise I changed accordingly.

I can tell you by going through the workout as intended I can definately see gains - it is awesome!!

Good luck & have fun with it & be safe.

There are really not that many 1rm to do. I printed out the wo card for disc one and did the 1rm for those exercises and entered in computer. If you then look at wo card for disc 4 chest there are only a few additional exercises to add for 1rm. And a few more with disc 7 chest. I think by the time you get to disc 13 you have most of them. It works the same way with doing the 1rm for disc 2 legs. Complete the 1rm from wo card for disc 2 legs and then look at wo card for disc 5 legs and there are just a few additional. Why not do 1rm for disc 1,2 and three as a wo for first week and the actual discs as the wo for the next week. You will get the quickest benefit from sts by using 1rm. If you don't want to do that just get started with sts. If you guess at the weight it will take longer because I will almost guarantee you will go too light but you will get there.

Joan

Hi there

Thanks for the reply

To be honest, I did do some 1rm but on some of them the calculation meant I was using a weight that was too light! :(

I will maybe go back and look at doing a few 1rm again, I guess I just think it´s o.k to use a weight that I can use till failure......

Really?

I think if you don't do the 1RM's you are definately missing out on the beauty of this series. It is set up for success and results, and part of achieving those results are doing the "pain in the butt" 1RM's prior to doing this series. It took me 4 days to complete those blasted things. It was very time consuming, but so is anything worthwhile if you want the results. In my honest opinion, I think you do yourself a disservice for not doing the 1RM's and the series as Cathe set it up. But, hey to each his/her own. I've done STS once and will do it again starting in August, after the road trip. And I can assure I will do the 1RM's again because I want to get ALL I can out of it.
Just my 2 cents worth and not meant to be offensive to anyone.

~Renee

Really?

I think if you don't do the 1RM's you are definately missing out on the beauty of this series. It is set up for success and results, and part of achieving those results are doing the "pain in the butt" 1RM's prior to doing this series. It took me 4 days to complete those blasted things. It was very time consuming, but so is anything worthwhile if you want the results. In my honest opinion, I think you do yourself a disservice for not doing the 1RM's and the series as Cathe set it up. But, hey to each his/her own. I've done STS once and will do it again starting in August, after the road trip. And I can assure I will do the 1RM's again because I want to get ALL I can out of it.
Just my 2 cents worth and not meant to be offensive to anyone.

~Renee

i agree. i did it once without doing the 1RM and got good results but the second time I did them and the results were great! it's a pain, but definitely worth it.

Thanks for your replies, I appreciate it and am doing more 1rmes! (not all, mostly the ones with 3 stars and above) I am just doing some after my workouts, they are time consuming, but after these replies, I see I just need to shut up and do them!

Thanks again!

x

Another way of doing the 1RM w/o really doing it is the following. I am sure you can determine the approximate weight you can lift for 15 reps (most of meso 1), having a hard time finishing the last 3 reps. You should be able to judge that if you've been doing Cathe for a while. If you were right on, as you edit your workout and mark down the actual weight you used, then click on "calculate 1RM" and you'll be done for the rest of STS. If you were too light (or too heavy), then make sure you note it and take a heavier (lighter) weight next time and again repeat the process when you edit your workout. That's what I did and I can tell you that within a few weeks, I was right on the money, being challenged and lifting heavier than I ever thought.
Christiane

Hi Christianne, sounds like a good idea! I have been doing Cathe for so long and have so many of her dvds that yes, I know what weight I need to lift to fail at around 12 reps, I will do as you suggest!

thanks, Im on disc 7!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.