Hardest legs DVD?

I think her STS workouts are pretty tough. However, my go to workout is Butts and Guts when I want a really good, tough leg workout.

I would say I get best results with STS squat rack legs. You go very heavy for 4 sets of each move. I love it and see quick results after only a couple of weeks - granted - I do not carry weight in my thutt - I carry in my belly so maybe that's why i see quick results there. Also, working my legs for at least two solid workouts/per week (or more) tends to do wonders for overall body fat shedding. So... I guess going heavy in general e.g. slow and heavy and STS. Also - Pyramid lower body is good too for results.

I agree with Butts and Gutts. But I am also loving the new xtrain legs dvd. Even though it uses minimal weights and equipment, I feel it gets the job done too. But you cannot beat Butts and Gutts esp. the ankle weights and abs at the end.

I would say Butts and Guts too , although one time I did Lower Body Blast with heavy weights throughout [ it uses high reps and lighter weights ] plus the bonus barre and could barely walk for a week !

Although I love what heavy weights do for the shape of my legs, I feel that STS plyo legs really slims them.

I get the worst DOMS from the lower body portion of Tri Sets. Aside from the single leg squats at the end, it never seems that hard, but the next 2 days are painful. Last week I only did 1 set and still winced every time I sat down or got up.

I think Butts and Guts is harder, but I don't wind up in the same amount of pain afterwards.

First - STS Meso 2 legs - if you go heavy enough...I am sore for at least 5 days with this workout. Next is Butts and Guts - somehow that one is just one tough workout - and again sore for at least 3-5 days. GS Legs would be a close third - but again you need to go heavy to make the most of it.
I really like the sculpting moves for X-Train legs - love that workout too for a more endurance type burn in the leg muscles.

What would you say is Cathe's most challenging leg DVD? Which one gives you the best results as far as toning or building muscle?

To reply to your question above, This require a reasonable time scale of consistency, determination, devotion, planning and discipline to succeed. Results do not happen over a night!

As to the toughtest workout, most cathe's leg workout are. They all challenge in different ways. my answer to this question is Rock Bottom Rotation. This rotation really helped me to hit my lower body in a way i had not before. Yes I did gain many results, I amended few segments. I am actually very happy having embarked on it and look forward to revisiting it again in future. Here is the link to Rock Bottom Rotation http://cathe.com/forum/f100/feb-2011-rock-bottoms-rotation-281088/

I did this rotation 8 weeks instead of 4 recommended. It was a personal preference ;-)

A part from dvd mentioned in this rotation, I would add STS squat Rack and turbo barre.

HTH;)

Last edited:
PLB with barbell and high step

Hi Everyone,

I love this thread discussing cathe's lower body toughest workout.

What do you, ladies, think about adding STS triset meso 2, LBB and CLB to the list? :);)

Also while we are on the subject of toughest lower body workout, has anyone done PLB (pyramid lower body) as performed by cathe and the crew? i.e with a barbell on a high step instead of wearing a weighted vest and dumbbells?

Should you have done it, please share your thoughts How heavy did you go:rolleyes::rolleyes: How confident did you feel travelling up in the air :D this great toy called Barbell *with added plate)* ;-)?. I have done it I love the way it challenges stabilizer/core muscles and the glutes:D:D::eek:. I must admit I was intrigued by PLB before attempting it:eek::eek:

Hope to read your thoughts on PLB with Barbell ;-)

Last edited:
Hi. I rarely post in the forums anymore, but I have been doing Cathe workouts since I was in my teenage years. I'm now in my 30s and Cathe is still my main choice for working out. My legs have always been my trouble area and with the exception of the newer workouts (which I will soon get when I pick my favorites) I have all DVDs Cathe has done and consider myself a Cathe leg workout freak/expert:p With that said, I cannot pick just one, but give you my favorite bits and pieces with a few tips to make them harder.

I find that if I want to build muscle, with my body type that bulks up easily, I can do it with standing leg work lifting as heavy as I can while maintaining my form. That sometimes means lifting heavier than Cathe so the workouts feel challenging for me. You need to take into account your body type and the results you want, sometimes you can lift as heavy as Cathe, sometimes you can go heavier, and there are other times when just your body weight will be challenging enough. You will get different results if you focus on standing work and lift heavy, than if you focus on lighter weights and do barre, or floorwork.

I carry my weight on my hips and thighs and they have always been muscular so it takes a lot for me to challenge these muscles. I mix heavy standing work with challenging floorwork and if I have extra time I throw a barre segment as a finisher. I usually workout my legs either on Saturdays or Sundays so I can have extra time if needed. Yesterday I did the standing portion of PLB, followed by Gym Styles Legs floorwork, and ended with XT: Legs Bonus Barre and stretch. I lift heavier than Cathe on PLB, use ankle weights and a dumbbell with the firewalker band while doing inner thigh lifts and outer thigh lifts on GS, and use light ankle weights with the Barre portion of XT Legs. That is one of my favorite combos. I also do a similar workout with B&G standing, followed by GS Legs floorwork. Another favorites are B&G standing followed by CLB, and Tabatacise followed by TB Barre leg conditioning (starting with the squats on my tip toes and ending with the calf raises its about 28 minutes, I add light ankle weights to make it more challenging and it rocks). The barre segment of LBB is another great add on to any leg workout and it is shorter than TB, if you add light ankle weights to this one, it makes it even harder. STS Plyo Legs are 4 good workouts as well but I count them as a circuit and don't do them as often as I should, but they are great and challenging enough by themselves. I know I left a few oldies. LL is a classic, L&G has a great standing portion with ankle weights, so many great segments. I should dust these off and add them to my rotations again.

However, if I had to pick one, I would go with Butts and Guts to start. It has the most leg exercises in one DVD with bonus leg exercises, and a great core workout as well. Followed by the Pyramids, and Gym Styles, because they have great lower body workouts and amazing upper body workouts which work great if used as whole systems and amazing when you add challenging cardio on alternate days, and last one LBB. But as you could see I love a lot more! Just my two cents. :eek:I hope it helps.

Also while we are on the subject of toughest lower body workout, has anyone done PLB (pyramid lower body) as performed by cathe and the crew? i.e with a barbell on a high step instead of wearing a weighted vest and dumbbells?

Should you have done it, please share your thoughts How heavy did you go:rolleyes::rolleyes: How confident did you feel travelling up in the air :D this great toy called Barbell *with added plate)* ;-)?. I have done it I love the way it challenges stabilizer/core muscles and the glutes:D:D::eek:. I must admit I was intrigued by PLB before attempting it:eek::eek:

Hope to read your thoughts on PLB with Barbell ;-)

I've only done PLB with the BB. I actually LOVE this method and prefer it over using the vest (I never actually even thought about doing it that way, lol). I use the longer platform as opposed to the mini step in case I lose my balance since I tend to be a klutz :p The heaviest I went was 55 pounds; I didn't feel unsafe nor did I experience any tweaking in my back.

I've only done PLB with the BB. I actually LOVE this method and prefer it over using the vest (I never actually even thought about doing it that way, lol). I use the longer platform as opposed to the mini step in case I lose my balance since I tend to be a klutz :p The heaviest I went was 55 pounds; I didn't feel unsafe nor did I experience any tweaking in my back.

Thanks Melissa for sharing your thoughts. I prefer the use of Barbell too. I stepped on the mini and did not lose my balance with about 50 pound. I felt safe too, felt the burn on my glutes, side quads and had no issue with my back:):):). I knew I had to keep my lower abs inner than I usually do.

Last edited:
First - STS Meso 2 legs - if you go heavy enough...I am sore for at least 5 days with this workout. Next is Butts and Guts - somehow that one is just one tough workout - and again sore for at least 3-5 days. GS Legs would be a close third - but again you need to go heavy to make the most of it.
I really like the sculpting moves for X-Train legs - love that workout too for a more endurance type burn in the leg muscles.

I feel exactly the same.....STS Meso 2 the 2nd week is the hardest.

PLB with barbell? Yes, done it, many times. My heaviest was 40 or 45 stepping up with barbell on shoulders. Perfectly safe, but at least 5 years ago.

Clare

I feel exactly the same.....STS Meso 2 the 2nd week is the hardest.

It's intense and I love it! The minute rest is so well deserved once the accurate weight load is selected. Did cathe say "Never underestimate the power of paper plate?" :eek::eek:lol those one leg slide back lunges feel like a surgical procedure on my glute. I feel the burn right in the middle of the cheek :eek::D Highly effective and recommended.What money saving is that goodie;)

Has anyone ever try the butts and guts leg blast premix? All I have to say is this one is one crazy premix...tons of lunges! My legs were on fire the entire time. Today was the first time I tried it and it felt like a whole different and new workout...we'll see how sore I get!

OMG that lower body Tri sets kills me!!! I hated it so bad and complained every second and talked back at Cathe the whole work out. But I completed the rotation with it because it got things done in a short amount of time and for some strange reason it fixed my right leg. I was having trouble with the left hip/ leg x 1 year. It had decreased range of motion and couldn't reach the floor if I did that inner thigh stretch and couldn't do figure 4 stretches. After the rotation with LB Trisets it was back to normal.

Has anyone ever try the butts and guts leg blast premix? All I have to say is this one is one crazy premix...tons of lunges! My legs were on fire the entire time. Today was the first time I tried it and it felt like a whole different and new workout...we'll see how sore I get!

I love this one and alternate between this premix and the original workout. I just did the leg blast a few days ago and the one legged lunges gets me good. To me it is amazing how much this premix works you hard while only using 5lbs.

Butt and Guts is a tough program.

I must admit, I need to venture more playing premixes as the main program is just too long. I have done the main program while doing Rock bottom rotation and I was very happy with the results:):)

One leg lunge does cook my legs good too.:D:D

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.