Hair Removal...(whispering)...Down There

It's so funny that this got brought up! I'm actually going in for my first lasor treatment on Thursday. Figured we'd start with "pitties" and see what I thought...My package is 6 sessions, 1 month apart for each...I tend to have dark, course hair...

For those who have done this, do you think I'll see a vast improvement? Does it hurt? Should I leave the hair, or can I shave first?

Thanks!
MJ in MN

I'm doing laser hair removal for my arm pits and bikini. Not gonna lie - it hurts. One side will probably hurt more than the other. You should shave prior to the procedure so that the laser energy will zap the follicle and not the exposed hair.

It's so funny that this got brought up! I'm actually going in for my first lasor treatment on Thursday. Figured we'd start with "pitties" and see what I thought...My package is 6 sessions, 1 month apart for each...I tend to have dark, course hair...

For those who have done this, do you think I'll see a vast improvement? Does it hurt? Should I leave the hair, or can I shave first?

Thanks!
MJ in MN

MJ...I think you will see a vast improvement because you have dark, course hair. I had a friend with the same hair type who had amazing success with it. I think the fair skinned girls have less success (at least that's what the technician told me). You don't want to shave the day before...you need a little growth. But I didn't think it hurt very much. And I had it done (whispering and pointing) down there. My pain tolerance is very low and I think waxing is much more painful. But please please please let us know how it goes and if you think I'm a big fat liar after Thursday.

PS...Once you do it once...it won't be scary. :)

EJ in CA

PS...MJ, most laser technicians keep a razor on hand (a clean, new one) so they can shave the area if needed. You'll know after the first time how far in advance you need to shave. And it varies from place to place...some want you to shave all, some want you NOT to do that so they can see where the follicle is. You can also call the spa or clinic where you're going to have it done and ask. But a good technician will have a razor on hand that, of course, has not been used.

:) EJ

Lol, yeah, you would think they could come up with an effective "pain-free" method Jonezie! Yes, this is my first. :)

Eunice - I've been working my upper body still and doing some prenatal yoga. I would and need to do more with my lower body, but I have this pinched sciatic nerve issue in my left leg and even walking up stairs is difficult at the moment. It's so frustrating because I finally have my energy back after the first tri and now I can't do the cardio I SO need!

Liann, have you tried dancing for cardio? I find that even with my ITBS and low energy, I can dance. It's low impact, so although I know nothing about pinched sciatic nerves, I'm still suggesting it!

I have to admit, I can't imagine doing any of the above. It all sounds so painful or undignified and I'm not at all convinced I'd be more attractive bald. The mere thought of going to a salon and asking some sweet young thing to do anything to my hoo ha, even look at it, gives me the shivering willies!

I have shaved in the past - both all (don't like the look) and just the sides (much better). I usually just trim the field (with a bikini trimmer) and shave the sidelines. After you do it a few times, it will no longer itch. The first time or two it itches something terrible! I wonder if it would help to put "aftershave" on??

Carrie

Lol, yeah, you would think they could come up with an effective "pain-free" method Jonezie! Yes, this is my first. :)

Eunice - I've been working my upper body still and doing some prenatal yoga. I would and need to do more with my lower body, but I have this pinched sciatic nerve issue in my left leg and even walking up stairs is difficult at the moment. It's so frustrating because I finally have my energy back after the first tri and now I can't do the cardio I SO need!

If this is what I think or what I had once but I wasn't pregnant:D it feels like your leg is getting numb, your lower back hurts at first I thought that I had a cramp on my butt it did not feel good setting or standing I was getting so scare!
I got PT and she said that my hip was uneven or something like that. Have you try pilates? or dancing? or just take a little break and enjoy your pregnancy I'm sure you will be fine.;)

Eunice - Mine is a shooting pain that starts in the left "buttock" and travels down the outside of my left leg. I can't do stairs very well right now and even rolling over in bed is pretty painful. I'm seeing a chiropractor and a massage therapist plus stretching. They all just say this is totally normal though and that I'll probably have problems the entire time. Nice... ;)

Yes very similar after a while I just did not pay attention and went away, I'd still did workout even when I wasn't feeling good. I hope you feel better! You mean the 9 or 6 months that you have left?That's annoying not been comfortable I know..

Eunice - Mine is a shooting pain that starts in the left "buttock" and travels down the outside of my left leg. I can't do stairs very well right now and even rolling over in bed is pretty painful. I'm seeing a chiropractor and a massage therapist plus stretching. They all just say this is totally normal though and that I'll probably have problems the entire time. Nice... ;)

Hey Liann,

For the pain aspect of it, you may want to give acupuncture a go. Where I am, traditional Chinese medicine practitioners provide the most comprehensive acupuncture services, but massage therapists, chiropractors, nurses, physiotherapists, and other regulated health professionals also provide acupuncture services within their scopes of practice. Acupuncture is very good for pain, although it may or may not "cure" the actual underlying issue. And it makes you so relaxed!

I shave everything but a "patch". I would love to wax it off cuz it lasts longer but I can't wait for it to grow back in. It would drive me batty! :eek:

Hey Elizabeth - Just letting you know that I did go ahead and get that Emjoi Epilator that I was looking at. I'll let you know how painful it is - although I am only planning on using it on my legs! ;)

Eunice - You are a stronger woman than I! :) When I get this stabbing pain, I all but scream. If I even pivot the wrong way, it feels like someone just stuck a steak knife in my thigh. I am finding that moist heat helps a little though and maybe I'll give Morningstar's acupuncture a go. ;)

Last edited:
Hey Elizabeth - Just letting you know that I did go ahead and get that Emjoi Epilator that I was looking at. I'll let you know how painful it is - although I am only planning on using it on my legs! ;)

Liann...yes, DO let me know. And please try the legs first. :) I'll be waiting to hear! Godspeed!

I have to admit, I can't imagine doing any of the above. It all sounds so painful or undignified and I'm not at all convinced I'd be more attractive bald. The mere thought of going to a salon and asking some sweet young thing to do anything to my hoo ha, even look at it, gives me the shivering willies!

Morningstar...I totally understand! I felt the same way the first time. But they always act so professional, like "You've seen one who-ha, you've seen them all." So I believe them (like flight attendants). I wonder if they go home and giggle...or tell their families at the dinner table. "Guess what I saw today."

Ugh...I hope not!

:) Jonezie

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.