Hair Removal...(whispering)...Down There

Jonezie

Cathlete
Ok ladies (I'm assuming not gentlemen)...how do you weigh in on this issue? Are you a bikini waxer, shaver, laser-er, or Nair-er? Summer is not too far around the corner and, with the weight loss, I'm hoping to sport a swimsuit this season. I've had waxing, of course, but OMG...it hurts (Maybe you have some tips - like have a couple of cocktails first). I've also paid kazillions to have laser hair removal. Not as painful, but not at all as permanent as they advertise. I purchased a series but, being blonde and fair skinned, it seemed my chances for success were slim. Then, there is shaving...but I don't dig the chicken skin look...and just don't enjoy shaving an area that is hard to see.

I figure we're all devoted to fitness and taking care of ourselves. And I figure if anyone is going to be an expert on these issues, it's fit women who are confident in their swimsuits. So...please tell me what has worked and hasn't for you.

Thanks!

:) Elizabeth

LOL @ the whispering, Elizabeth!

I'm a razor girl myself. I don't get the chicken skin thing you mentioned - I think your body gets used to it when you do it regularly.
I use scissors on the length of what is not shaved. That didn't work out so well one day tho when I cut too short. Can you say *&*&&%&^%^$ !!!!!!!!!!:p:eek::eek::eek:

It got pretty interesting when I was pregnant and could NOT see what I was doing. It was getting close to my due time and I didn't want to have a big ol' mess down there for the midwives to see. So I humbled myself and had DH do it. Still don't know how it turned out but I suppose he did a good enough job!:p

Razor girl here too. Have tried bikini waxing at the periphery and its tolerable but I get too bumpy and rashy which looks worse than stubble, IMO. I could never do a brazilian - afraid they might rip off something crucial that I might need:eek: I like the cleaner look and feel and ...whispering...so does DH;)

Heidi

waxer here, the whole shebang.

if you go to a good, experienced waxer who uses the hard wax that dries and then comes off (rather than sticky wax and then strips to rip it off) you will get a more desirable result. the more regularly it is done the easier it gets. take some ibuprofen about 45 minutes ahead. you may have more tender skin around ovulation or right before your period. i like to schedule a day or 2 after my period.

funny, i don't feel the need to *whisper* about this at all. but then again i am someone who goes regularly to get my lady parts done by another lady, lol =)

Last edited:
Use the down-their Nair. Wax scares me!!! I used to use a razor but that itched like I don't know what when it starts to grow back. With the Nair it doesn't grow back so scratchy, and it lasts longer. I like it, DH likes it, and that's about all the matters!

Nan

I use an Epilator for all hair removal. Arms, legs and yes down there. It really doesn't hurt(at lease to me) once you get started. I've been using it for years and hair really does get thinner and easier to remove.

waxer here, the whole shebang.

if you go to a good, experienced waxer who uses the hard wax that dries and then comes off (rather than sticky wax and then strips to rip it off) you will get a more desirable result. the more regularly it is done the easier it gets. take some ibuprofen about 45 minutes ahead. you may have more tender skin around ovulation or right before your period. i like to schedule a day or 2 after my period.

funny, i don't feel the need to *whisper* about this at all. but then again i am someone who goes regularly to get my lady parts done by another lady, lol =)

Y'all are hilarious! I am writing this with tears of laughter. Wendy...I like your idea...but does it ever stop growing back. I.e...if you do it enough, do you feel the need to go less often? How often do you get the whole shebang?!?

I use an Epilator for all hair removal. Arms, legs and yes down there. It really doesn't hurt(at lease to me) once you get started. I've been using it for years and hair really does get thinner and easier to remove.

Jann...I've heard of an epilator but was always too afraid to ask...what is it?!? Is it the device that whisks the hair out by the root? Is it something that runs on batteries? And before you tell me it doesn't hurt...how high is your pain tolerance to begin with? I mean, if I'm going to need a leather strap to bite on, please tell me now! But I love that you say the hair grows back less...I like that.

:)

Jonezie - It's a midevil torture device that was used in the Inquisition and has been retrofitted to rip female hair out from the roots. My mom had an Epilady and it just looked evil. Basically it had a bunch of vibrating coils that your hair got caught in and if you were lucky ripped out right away. If you weren't lucky, then the hairs got jerked around several times and finally ripped out. The idea of using that on my who-ha, makes me want to cross my legs! ;) I'm sure the newer ones are wayyy better than what my mom used to have though! I have actually thought about buying one of the new Emjoi's.

Last edited:
Yes, an epilator is like having 20 or so electric tweezers pulling the hair out by the roots all at once. My pain tolerance is high, I've been told, but really once it gets going especially the legs I don't feel it. Underarms I hardly feel at all. Now, the bikini area is a little more sensitive. I have never had waxing done but I can't believe it hurts any more than that. :) I have had a couple different types my favorite is by Panasonic, I like the round heads.

Jann - Do you have to let your hair grow out very long before you can use it?
No. That's the difference between some of the models, the good ones you don't. The one I have now seems to grab the smallest of hair.

Razor girl here, I've been using this for a good while and I don't get bumpy skin or burn skin I like it(and so DH does too) I've never try ed another method so, not much advise..But you all are funny..
good luck..

Liann...YIIIKKKKEEEEESSSSSS!!! I just think if we can put a man on the moon we can surely find pain free hair removal.

Hey...is this your first baby?!?

Lol, yeah, you would think they could come up with an effective "pain-free" method Jonezie! Yes, this is my first. :)

Eunice - I've been working my upper body still and doing some prenatal yoga. I would and need to do more with my lower body, but I have this pinched sciatic nerve issue in my left leg and even walking up stairs is difficult at the moment. It's so frustrating because I finally have my energy back after the first tri and now I can't do the cardio I SO need!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.