Had to put one of my dogs down--need advice

RLMS

Cathlete
Last week I had to put my favorite dog down, and while I am still having a really hard time with this, I am concerned about my other dog. My dogs are (were) 2 weeks apart in age and have been together since they where puppies. They were best buddies and now I don't know how to help my dog deal with this loss. He goes all through the house looking for her and looks for her to come in the door when I get home. I am not ready to get another dog and am not sure how he would take it anyway. Do any other pet owners have any advice for me? Thanks, Rebecca

Rebecca,
Don't have any advice, but I hope someone can help you. So sorry about your dog.
Amy

Oh this breaks my heart.I can't imagine.Its like trying to explain something to a child that doesn't understand.I don't have any advice for you either.I have heard of it before and I think the other dog will get use to it in time.In my opinion it may be wiser to wait it out.Another dog won't replace the one you lost to either one of you.
Lori

Rebecca,

I'm so sorry for your loss. I had a similar situation several years ago when we had to put one of our dogs down. Here are some tips that I found in a net search for "grieving pets":

------------------
Do Pets Grieve?

Do pets grieve? The answer is yes. Just as people do, pets become attached to each other, even those who do not get along. It is quite normal for a grieving pet to go through the same stages of grief that humans do - they can experience loss of appetite, become anxious or depressed, behave inappropriately and become more vocal. Some grieving pets will sleep in a lost pet's favourite spot or carry around the lost pet's favourite toy. Sometimes grieving pets will search for the lost one and call out to them.

Just as with humans, it takes time for the grieving pet to adjust to the loss of a housemate; however, there are things you can do to help:

- try and keep the grieving pet's routine as normal as possible

- spend extra quality time with the grieving pet

- do not try to modify any behaviour changes that take place

- be patient and understanding with the grieving pet

- in a multi-pet household, the surviving pets will have to determine a new hierarchy; let them work it out
------------------------

When we had to put one of our dogs down, our vet suggested bringing him home and showing him to our other dog, letting her sniff, etc. This was a way to let her know what was happening and give some closure.

I believe that pets really do grieve the loss of a loved one. My heart goes out to you and your dog. It isn't easy. Please take care.

My doggie Oreo watched his big brother die. This big brother raised him from puppyhood. Oreo mourned a full month to the exact day...moping and sniffing around for him the entire time, sniffing the spots inside and out his brother used to lie in the most. Even a year later, sniffed out his scents on walks and trips to the lake. It was indeed heartbreaking to watch his grief, but he did get through it! They don't understand....yet in a way they do better than we do. I saw my dog's eye, and he knew he was dying even though I refused to acknowledge it. They are braver than we are I think. I am so sorry for your loss.

Rebecca, I am so sorry about your dog. We had to put one of ours down last Nov. I have a picture of him I took a few weeks before he had to be put down. I miss him terribly. I have 2 other dogs, they are fairly old but it hasn't affected them as much. I think what Gayle posted is some really good advice. I'll keep getting dogs as I love the companionship. You and your greiving dog will be in my prayers...:)...Carole

Rebecca,

I'm so sorry to hear about your loss. 2 of my dogs did this at different times. The second time when I had to put my Dobe down, my Vizsla would wait outside hiding behind her favorite bush to jump out and "attack" him as he went flying by. I would literally have to pick her up and carry her inside. It broke my heart.

Time, patience and some extra TLC help mend things. I did end up getting another dobe rather soon because of a particular breeding. Not sure how it affected her own healing process.

Colleen

Rebecca, I don't have any words of wisdom to offer -- wish I did -- but wanted to tell you how sorry I am that you and your other puppy dog have suffered this sad loss. My heart just breaks for you both. I think Gayle's suggestions were wonderful and make great common sense -- I hope some of those ideas will be helpful to you both.

(((((((((Hugs))))))))) to you and your doggy!

http://www.click-smilies.de/sammlung0903/sport/sport-smiley-003.gif Kathy S. http://www.click-smilies.de/sammlung0903/spezial/spudniks/spudniklifter.gif

No advice, just wanted to let you know I feel for you. Your poor dog. They are such faithful animals. Loss is truly hard for them.

Hopefull

Rebecca,
You've gotten some great advice here, already, I just wanted to add my thoughts and sympathy are with you and your remaining dog. They do indeed grieve. In 1997 my dear Nelson died somewhat suddenly, and the three others for whom he was the leader of the pack were bereft. They lay about uninterested in food or walks for several days and didn't howl (they are hounds who sing at little provocation)for months. I know we were some comfort to each other, but grief takes the time it takes. Best wishes to you in this rough time.
--Ann

Hi Rebecca,
I, too, just had one of my dogs euthanized. She was 15 and one of my 6. Maybe because I have such a "pack" of dogs, they don't seem to notice as much...but dogs DO feel loss, I believe, especially ones who are bonded to each other.
My suggestion to you is to make your only dog a priority. (not that he already isn't). Take him out for a fun car ride--get him a treat like ice cream or yogurt or go to a store like "Petsmart" where dogs are allowed inside. Take his mind off of his friend by doing "special" activities. If you have an agility training center where you live, that is a fun way to bond with your pet and teach him a new skill. Or, an obedience class, for that matter. I don't think dogs grieve like we do, but I think they can work it out, all the same. If you give your dog something to look forward to, I'm sure in time he'll get over the loss of his friend and feel more secure. Good luck!
Lisa:D

Be prepared to notice some doggie depression... less active, mopey, loss of appetite.
In my expierience the dog will get used to being by itself. Just give him lots of attention, belly rubs that sort of thing.
So sorry for your loss.

No advice to add, but just wanted to say how sorry I am you had to lose your beloved pet.

I like to have 3 pets around, partly so one won't get too lonely when their sole feline companion dies.

Thank you everyone for your kind words and advice. It is comforting to know that other dogs (and people) have gone through this and gotten over it. My dog is actually doing quite well (much better than me--I miss my little girl so much!). I think he has figured out that his friend is gone because he didn't look around the house for her this morning and on his morning walk he stopped and sniffed all of her favorite spots. I plan on spending as much time with him as I can while sticking to our regular walking, eating, and sleeping schedule.
Thanks again, Rebecca

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.