Gym Style series and Butts & Guts

CLD

Cathlete
I'm trying to work up a rotation with the Gym Style series and Butts & Guts. Right now I've been alternating Gym Style Legs and Butts & Guts every other week. I do 3 days a week of weight and 5 days of cardio. My main goal is to lose about 15 pounds and trim up everywhere - especially my abs (although I know you don't get to pick where the fat comes off!). My problem is this: I only have enough time to do what I described - 3 days weight, 5 days cardio. Do you think I would still see weight loss if I cut out one day of cardio and did 4/4 instead? Or do you think it would be more effective to keep my rotation as is? I really need to tone up that glute area! The other idea I had is to combine the upper body workouts into one day & just do the premixes. This way I could do both Legs and Butts & Guts in a week. Any input is very much appreciated!!!

What does your rotation look like? How are you doing 5 days of cardio and 3 days of weight training???

Lay out your rotation here and I'll try to help.

Rotation

Ok, here's what my week typically looks like:

Monday: 45 to 75 minutes high impact cardio, 10 to 25 minutes Abs
Tuesday: 20 to 60 minutes high impact cardio, Gym Style Chest & Triceps
Wednesday: 45 to 75 minutes high impact cardio, 10 to 25 mins abs
Thursday: Gym Style legs or Butts & Guts
Friday: 45 to 75 minutes high impact cardio, 10 to 25 mins abs
Saturday: 45 to 75 mins high impact cardio, Gym Style Back, Shoulders, & Biceps, 10 to 25 mins abs
Sunday: 20 to 60 minutes Yoga or pilates

My cardio typically involves step or kickboxing workouts (I typically do Amy Bento cardio videos - you can preview them at nrgfitness.net - I like complex choreography:)). Also, I typically spend about 10 to 15 minutes after my workouts stretching on my own. I try to do my workouts in the morning, but I'm not a morning person at all so that's not very frequent! And, of course, some weeks I don't have enought time to do all this. In that case, I typically pack more workouts in one day (for example, I'm doing Legs and Back, Shoulders, & Biceps tonight because I won't have time on Saturday!) or I'll shorten them a bit.

Anyway, thanks everyone!!!

Whoa, that is TOO MUCH cardio! I can't believe you are alive and awake after all of that to even type this question!!

Sorry, I didn't mean to be harsh. But I think you would see better results if you cut back on the cardio.

The best results I EVER got from a rotation were from Fitness Freak's fall/winter 07 lower body blast rotation -- GOOD STUFF.

Okay, I will butt out of this thread now...

Thanks!

Hey CollinsMom!

Don't worry - you are not butting in!! I am looking for any advice anybody has for me!

The reason I'm going so nuts on the cardio is not only do I feel absolutely fantastic after an intense sweat session, but I've read on a couple different websites (and a magazine I thought too, but I might be getting confused?) that you need to do about 5 days of cardio at about 40 minutes. I always did longer because, like I said, I just like to sweat! :)

I love that rotation link you posted for me! Looks great!! I don't have all those DVDs, but I have enough others that I think I can sub in for them.

So, thanks again & I'll give your rotation a try

I agree with Collinsmom! You are doing WAY TOO MUCH CARDIO! Your cardio should average about 3 hours a week. Weight training about 3 hours a week. On your weight training days, DO NOT DO CARDIO!

Wow, how are you even able to function after all that? Your body needs a break, you are doing way too much.

LOL!! Oops!! I guess I got a little carried away then! :rolleyes:

Does anybody throw in yoga or pilates in their rotation? If so, do you combine it with cardio or weight training?

Thanks again ladies!!

I am not really into either of those, but I do like to do some stretching (like maybe a segment of Stretch Max) on my rest days.

I found this rotation on the forums a while back and enjoy it:
1. GS Legs
2. Cardio & abs of choice
3. GS BSB
4. Cardio & abs
5. Butts & Guts
6. Cardio & abs
7. GS C&T
8. Rest

Simple, but gets the job done.
HTH,
Paula

I disagree

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I actually disagree. The amount of cardio you do is based on what you want as see as far as results from your body. IF you want to lose weight cardios kind of mixed for that. You'll definately lose weight but it will be a lot slower. Plus if you're going for endurance, you'll lose a lot of it just weight training. I had a friend that could do 200(+) lbs for squats, but can't run a 10 minute mile and didn't understand how I could run 7 mile in a hour. Doing mostly weights will make you lose inches, but you wont see it on the scale as much as if you did cardio (where you also lose a lot of water)

As for the amount of time, its arbitrary on what works for you. For me, I do about 10 hours of cardio a week and 4 hours of weight training at my max with one day off (I could do yoga but its not my thing, trying to find somewhere to insert Pilates). Like I said, it depends on the results you want. Cardio will keep you more slender, weights will bulk you up, but again thats also dependant on how your body builds muscles. Personally, my arms are built but my lower 1/2 is more slender because of the cardio (spinning, step, shadowboxing, rebounding).

IN CONCLUSION, it depends on what you want. So your cardio shouldn't interfere with your weight training. On the days your doing more cardio legs such as step (as oppose to kickboxing which is body lower and upper), just work on upper body with weights for balance.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.