GWTW--I have a burning question!

You always want what you cannot have. A man who is an idealist/romantic can be very , very attractive to women...I loved Ashley, but have been obsessed with Clark Gable since I was a little girl. I have read this book a zillion times and watched the movie even more times! Oh and Melly IS strong, very, very strong. Just not in an "in your face" kinda way. Much quieter but strong. I adored Mammy too.

You always want what you cannot have. A man who is an idealist/romantic can be very , very attractive to women...I loved Ashley, but have been obsessed with Clark Gable since I was a little girl. I have read this book a zillion times and watched the movie even more times! Oh and Melly IS strong, very, very strong. Just not in an "in your face" kinda way. Much quieter but strong. I adored Mammy too.

ITA about Melly!! Physically she may be weak but she pretty much carries everyone emotionally at one point or another.

I've read the book a zillion times as well. Still, when I get to the end, I always have this small hope that it'll be different this time, and Rhett will stay.

Sparrow

I agree that Ashley represents what she was schooled that she SHOULD want. Rhett was everything she was taught to find repulsive and crass. I don't think she understood why she liked Rhett.

I read Scarlett, too. Interesting book, and the story is neat, but as it was not written by Margaret Mitchell, I never truly felt it was the second part of the story. But I do like to hope that Scarlet truly grows up and Rhett comes back - a more likely couple I have never seen.

Scarlett wanted somebody to boss around. Rhett certainly didn't fill that bill, but Ashley had that wimpy quality in spades! Had she ever actually gotten him, she would have been bored speechless!

I thought the book was fascinating (read it for the first time last spring) and couldn't put it down.

And Fitnessfreak, it really is good to see your face! Your body is impressive, but I like to see faces to I have one to put with the name!

I've read the book a zillion times as well. Still, when I get to the end, I always have this small hope that it'll be different this time, and Rhett will stay.

Funny, I always wish this too! :D

Having read this book a zillion times, here is my take on why Scarlett cannot let go of Ashley: I don't think it's because she wants what she can't have (although that is sure in her nature!), I think it's because she can't face who she is. If she lets herself love Rhett, then she has to admit to herself that she is like him, and not genteel and refined, a "great lady" like her Mother.

It's the hardest thing in the world to become comfortable with who you are as a person, and to stop pretending to be what you're not. If she let go of Ashley, then she'd have to come face-to-face with who she is. My take, for what it's worth!

Now I'm re-reading GWTW for the zillionth-and-one time, and Melanie just had her baby!

I'm so glad to see so many people joining us! That is so great. I've just finished about 500 pages...just the start of the reconstruction and Scarlett's second child. Her main goal is to have enough money so she can be a lady like her mom.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.