Got my first cavity, please help!

pippa

Cathlete
So I was at my 6 month cleaning and my dentist found a cavity! This is my first and since I was a little freaked out I didn't really think to ask too many questions. Now, I have to go back Monday to get it filled and I'm not sure what to expect. I'm guessing I'll get Novacaine but after that what happens? How long does it take to fill it? Will it hurt? What happens after it's done being filled? Can you eat and drink or do you have to wait?

I'm sure there's some variance between dentists but if anyone would like to share their experiences(and possibly make me feel better :)) I'd really appreciate it! Thanks!

I've never had one, but my daugther had one a few years ago.

They gave her laughing gas (not sure the real name of it) and filled it. It didn't take long. She was totally fine. Never complained of any pain or anything. She was maybe 6?? at the time. I don't remember if she had to wait to eat.

I had a little one a few years ago. I didn't get gas but they numbed the area. I also don't remember the drilling being painful (I don't even remember a drill at all actually!). It def didn't hurt and I have a very low threshold for pain! What I do remember is afterwards I went to the gym, and water was falling out of my mouth because my mouth was so numb LOL! It took awhile for the numbness to go away. I think I was able to eat/drink about an hour - 2hrs afterwards

You'll be fine :) My dentist had these goggles that I got to wear that shows a movie. It went by so quickly!

So I was at my 6 month cleaning and my dentist found a cavity! This is my first and since I was a little freaked out I didn't really think to ask too many questions. Now, I have to go back Monday to get it filled and I'm not sure what to expect. I'm guessing I'll get Novacaine but after that what happens? How long does it take to fill it? Will it hurt? What happens after it's done being filled? Can you eat and drink or do you have to wait?

I'm sure there's some variance between dentists but if anyone would like to share their experiences(and possibly make me feel better :)) I'd really appreciate it! Thanks!

Can I just say that I hate you? Nothing personal, of course. I would love to have enough real tooth to get a cavity in. :confused:

Oh, sorry. It's no big deal. It takes about 5-10 minutes. You can eat in about 2 hours or so, when the novacaine wears off.

Last edited:
Here is what I did - I was scared silly! I told the dentist and assistant that I was a scared fool. The assistant was so sweet and just patted my shoulder while the dentist worked. First off, though, they gave me gas. It helps so much, and don't let them start work until you are flying high ;) I took my ipod, turned it up LOUD, put the TV on a channel I wanted to watch, and let them have at it. They just tapped me when they needed me to hear something, like open wider, turn, etc. Also, on the shot - they gave it to me in increments so it wasn't painful. Once the tiny bit numbed, they gave more, then it numbed and they gave more. It didn't hurt much at all (it was the worst part, and even it wasn't painful), and it also kept them from over or underdoing it. Once, I felt a little something during the filling and told them, and they gave me some more to numb it. I got up from the chair, so relieved it was over, and felt so dumb for worrying about it so much (!), and sipped some water in the car, and ate soon afterwards. I am one big chicken about this stuff, and survived. You will be fine!

Holy moly, . . .I'm with Nancy, . .MOST people have had to experience having a cavity, . . . your first ? Geez you must have strong teeth! Well, . .I work for a dentist, . . but I am deathly afraid of going to the dentist, . .even just to get my teeth cleaned. I had horrible experiences as a child, not to mention I have sensitive teeth so putting cold water on my teeth brings me to grabbing the chair with white knuckles begging for it to be over. With that said you will be fine. Chances are you've been going every 6 months and the Dr. caught it right away meaning it is probably just a small 1 surface filling. He'll put a topical numbing gel on the gum area and then give you a shot. Don't be afraid the shot does not hurt. What people feel pain or discomfort from is the anesthesia coming from the needle. If your Dr. has it I would ask for the something called The Wand. It is a device that slowly pumps the anesthesia into the gum so you feel no pain from start to finish. I've had it done during my extractions and I didn't feel a thing! I highly suggest you tell your office you are nervous so they can take their time to make you feel comfortable. The numbing medication takes a while to wear off and since he's probably doing a composite filling you'll want to wait a few hours before you eat, . . so don't go hungry. Composites can stain or even fall out if you eat something hot and hard. You'll be fine.

Thanks so much for the replies! I feel a lot better. I'm going to see if I can listen to my iPod and I definitely plan on telling them I'm a *little* nervous.

I had some serious dental work done a few years ago(so don't be envious of me yet :p). Major drilling from decay that had spread from impacted wisdom teeth to lower back molars and then onlays. However, I lived in a different state then and I had known my dentist for a really long time. He knew me and I knew him well enough to completely trust him. My new dentist seems very nice and very knowledgeable. I'm sure I have absolutely nothing to worry about but I just don't know him that well yet.

But thanks to everyone here at least I know what to expect.:)

Like Nancy, I don't have many teeth left that don't have crowns on.
The first time I went to the dentist (we couldn't afford it) I had 13! cavities!

I always had novocaine (though I did have laughing gas to have wisdom teeth taken out, and I was guffawing like crazy: the nurse started laughing hysterically and had to leave the room. I still felt what was going on, but it didn't register as pain). One time, for a very shallow cavity, I didn't have novocaine, and I realized the novocaine shot would have hurt more than the procedure itself (though the stress of wondering IF it was going to hurt, and feeling like if the dentist drilled JUST A BIT more he'd hit a nerve didn't make it a great experience).

You won't be able to chew safely for a short while (without biting your tongue or inside of your mouth).

Pippa, how did it go today? I'm for one who also have never had a cavity. Only work on my mouth was removal of my wisom teeth when I was in HS. I was thrilled they knocked me out because I was a basket case.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.