Giving Shakeology a try

I really want to try these. My problem is that most protein powders don't taste good or dissolve well enough. I wonder if this would actually be good.

Here is a part of an article "The Adventures of Superfood" which was published in businessweek.com (Bloomberg Businessweek Magazine):
Dr. Susanne Talcott, assistant professor of toxicology and a director of research at Texas A&M’s Nutrition and Food Science Dept., specializes in testing superfoods. She conducts animal trials, human clinical trials, and cell culture tests on a whole range of foods. For this article, she agreed to review the ingredients and amounts on the fact sheet of a serving of Shakeology. Aside from almost three eggs’ worth of protein, vitamins, and minerals, there seemed to be a tad of almost every superfood known to the herbal-loving world, she says. Shakeology’s Adaptogen Herb Blend, for instance, has a combined 1,675 milligrams of maca (root) powder, astragalus (root) powder, cordyceps, schisandra (berry) powder, and suma (root) powder, among others. The Antioxidant Blend weighs in at 1,750 milligrams per serving and includes standards such as blueberry as well as goji and açaí. A third “phytonutrient super-green” blend adds 1,800 milligrams. Talcott did some fast math in her head. “If we add up the amounts of each of these blends, we are looking at about 5 grams. You say these are not extracts. So, we expect 1 percent to 2 percent secondary bioactive compounds. That would be some 50 milligrams.” She explained that the amounts she uses in clinical trials are usually much higher, varying from one to two grams a day, to 7.5 grams per kilo of a subject’s body weight. She says, at first glance, “I think it might be a terrific product.” But she cautions, “I cannot answer whether the amounts provided here contain enough bioactives to indeed have [a positive] effect.”

Neither can the FDA. Dr. Daniel Fabricant, director of the Division of Dietary Supplement Programs at the FDA’s Center for Food Safety and Applied Nutrition, says that under a 1994 law called the Dietary Supplement Health and Education Act, companies don’t even have to notify the agency of their ingredients, as long as they were marketed in the U.S. before 1994 and they haven’t been chemically altered. “We’re going to take them at their word,” he says of Beachbody. As far as health claims, he says: “Statute requires they have substantiation of their claims.”

Mark Blumenthal, executive director of the American Botanical Council, a trade group for herbal remedies, is more critical. “The whole plant dried is not as concentrated as some extracts,” he says. To use more concentrated extracts could cost four times as much, he says, and as it is, Beachbody charges a premium. How does the company justify it? Blumenthal answers his own question: “Construct a compelling story.”

Which is exactly what Beachbody has done. It feeds on testimonials. “Once people go through a dramatic transformation—they lose weight, their cholesterol goes down, they have more energy—they just can’t stop talking about it, ” says COO Tuckerman. Moreover, “when anybody hangs out with Darin, they just want to be like him.”

Thanks for the businessweek article. I tried shakeology and love it. However, to spend $120 on a 30 day supply i would expect only the finest ingredients and the most beneficial dosages. Beachbody is such a disappointment, in my opinion. I hope some honorable company comes out with a similar product more reasonably priced or with higher quality actually worth paying $120.

I also loved it! It helps me stay regular.... but i cannot afford that every month. I really wish they would lover the price about 50 dollars!

I loved the chocolate and all the supplements in the mix, but it was just too much per month and now I am moving away from whey to vegan sources for my smoothies.

Thanks for advising that the new Tropical Strawberry is Vegan. I just checked out the ingredients, looks really good, and I am tempted, but the price is still too steep for me. I wish they would bring it down, then I would reconsider. :D

So I've been watching this thread with interest and had thought about trying the shakes, but my hairstylist is selling Visalus shakes, which average $1.87 each. Similar concept (incorporates all of the health benefits of a huge amount of food) to Shakeology - and you can tailor it to your needs (athletic, maintenance, competitive athelete, weight loss).

Has anyone tried these shakes (Visalus)?

I have heard of it but would like to know more. I tried to look it up but i get the web site that sales it. I want to see what others thought about it but not from there web. I want unbiased opinions but couldnt find. Hope to learn more...

I have tried Visalus shakes. They taste good blended with fruit and almond milk and are affordable, but not made with whole food ingredients like Shakeology. Vi shakes contain sucralose, non gmo soy and whey proteins and processed ingredients which I try to stay away from. But not everyone is as picky as me so it is fine for the masses.

Well, FWIW, I have been using Nature's Way Metabolic Reset for YEARS! Even got my DH drinking it daily as well! ;-) I pay approx. $1.75 per serving for the mix, to which I add almond milk, fresh frozen strawberries, a Tbsp. of ground flax seeds, and crushed ice. Mix well in blender and it's a satisfying and delicious breakfast (or any time meal) for me :)

Taste of Shakeology

So, a couple of people have inquired as to the taste of Shakeology. I've discovered that mixing it with just water it's not very good. But now I mix it with non-fat milk and berries and it's very tasty!

Pam

So, a couple of people have inquired as to the taste of Shakeology. I've discovered that mixing it with just water it's not very good. But now I mix it with non-fat milk and berries and it's very tasty!

Pam

I actually drink the chocolate Shakeology w/ 14 oz of water, 20 ice cubes and 1/4 tsp peppermint extract. (Thin Mint cookie!)

I also use coconut extract in place of the peppermint & that's yummy too (Mounds candy bar!)

I can't drink the Greenberry w/ just water & ice. I also ad 1/4 c OJ, 5 strawberries & 1/4 banana.

As an alternative, I use 1/4 cranberry juice in place of the strawberries.

Joan

I actually drink the chocolate Shakeology w/ 14 oz of water, 20 ice cubes and 1/4 tsp peppermint extract. (Thin Mint cookie!)

I also use coconut extract in place of the peppermint & that's yummy too (Mounds candy bar!)

I can't drink the Greenberry w/ just water & ice. I also ad 1/4 c OJ, 5 strawberries & 1/4 banana.

As an alternative, I use 1/4 cranberry juice in place of the strawberries.

Joan

YUMMY!! The Thin Mint & Mounds bar sound fantastic! Gonna go buy some extracts! Thanks for sharing!

Pam

i tried a sample

So i tried a sample packet of the choc shakeology....and ummmm....i didn't like the choc very much....it had a bad after taste to me....but i actually think i 'm going to get another one b/c it may be what i put in it...so this time i think i'm going to keep it simple by just adding some milk and one fruit and see how that goes....the after taste was horrible for me....i also have a sample of the tropical one, but have not tried that one yet so i think i will try that one today or tomorrow and keep it simple also for the first try:)

u can usually get samples from anyone that's a beachbody coach....and they should be easy to find....i think u can probably ask someone on this forum if they're a BB coach and i bet u will find one.....i think the sample packets are a few bucks or so...HTH:)

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.