Girls Gone Strong- Modern Women's Guide to Strength Training on sale

It's definitely a different program from Nia. It's basically one program with the movements (and, to a lesser degree, set/rep schemes) regressed/progressed for 3 levels of trainees (actually, there's a 4th level that's a sort of special incentive, so maybe email Molly before you buy to ask if she'll add it to your package? You can't purchase it separately, so may as well ask).
The main lifts are largely in the 6-10 rep range, with some conditioning and core work at the end of each workout. 3 total body workouts/week.

I'd forgotten that you'd got the package, Roz. I now remember you saying you got the 4th level too. MMMM - maybe I'll bite. I know that Jen Sinkler has a power lifting programme soon, and I really want that. I don't mind having them all - it's just DOING them all that's the problem!

Is it worth it to buy the high priced programs, or should I stick with the basic program? I guess I really don't need a nutrition program, but how about the other stuff that it comes with?

I actually found the nutrition program to be very sound and interesting. I didn't get the meal plan, as I don't eat meat and I don't really care to follow a specific meal plan. I think those are the only add-ons, unless you're buying the physical DVD (barring technological problems on your end, I don't see a need for the physical DVDs).

Hi, tagging on here! Those who have this, how do you compare it to Cathe? The only instructors that I've done besides her are Shawn T (not a fan) and JB Barnes who does the Urban Rebounding. He's ok, I haven't done him in a while, he's a little over the top and I can only take him in small doses! I want to like Chalene Johnson or Autumn Cabreses, but I don't have them and not sure I want to plunk down money for them particularly because is a MLM deal...

Does anyone know the layout? What I got from the link was that it is a 12 week program, yikes, for $59 and they do total body heavy wts 3x weekly.

Thanks!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I was tempted to buy. I have been using Nia Shanks program, and I love her. So, I'm pretty sure I would love GGS. However, I have so many paper programs that I want to get through. I can't justify buying anything right now. I know Roz,(mominVT) has the program. I hope she posts.

What do you mean by paper programs? Meaning you actually have physical paper that lists the sets you are to do? I did something like that when I was in my 20s at Ballys Total Fitness. Now I'm 44 with 4 boys from 14-4 that I homeschool. So I can't get to a gym if GGS is a "do at the gym" program. I have various dumb bells from 3s all the way to 30 and one 35, barbell with plates maxing out at I think 60# or so, bands/loops, discs and tubing. So if I have to buy more equipment, I'm not sure I can get it.

I like nutrition programs! I did see something on their website last night about various 30 day challenges with food according to your level. I think I could be a level 2 or 3. The challenges for lvl 2 would be good challenge for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi, tagging on here! Those who have this, how do you compare it to Cathe? The only instructors that I've done besides her are Shawn T (not a fan) and JB Barnes who does the Urban Rebounding. He's ok, I haven't done him in a while, he's a little over the top and I can only take him in small doses! I want to like Chalene Johnson or Autumn Cabreses, but I don't have them and not sure I want to plunk down money for them particularly because is a MLM deal...

Does anyone know the layout? What I got from the link was that it is a 12 week program, yikes, for $59 and they do total body heavy wts 3x weekly.

Thanks!

Hi LadyLep,
First of all, the biggest difference is this GGS is not a DVD program -- you get a bunch of PDFs with great info on strength training (and conditioning, nutrition, etc.), including one with three programs for three levels of trainees (similar format but with more difficult versions of moves in the more advanced programs). Three total body workouts per week (although they do have a few metabolic conditioning workout suggestions AND a discount link to Jen Sinkler's excellent Lift Weights Faster program, which is all metabolic conditioning).

Unlike Cathe, GGS doesn't have much in the way of isolation exercises -- I don't think there are any biceps curls or triceps kickbacks in there. Mostly big, compund moves like squats, deadlifts, and pushups/bench press. You'll definitely get your biceps with those chinups, though! And there are barbell glute bridges, lunges, etc. There's some core work every day.

If you work out at home, it will help a lot to have a squat rack, heavy weights, and a pullup bar. Reps are mostly in the 6-12 range, with some higher reps for moves like barbell glute bridges and core work. You'll probably be lifting heavier than ever.
There are suggested modifications for moves that really require a full gym (e.g., battling rope slams).

There's great info on warming up, foam-rolling, etc. I'm guessing a workout, including warmup, would run you around 45 mins. Could be a little more.

I think it's a great program and definitely recommend it if you're interesting in trying out lifting heavy on your own. I think Cathe is absolutely fabulous and I love her programs, but I've learned so many new things about lifting since trying out programs like GGS. The GGS program is a solid 'education' in strength training.
Hope that helps -- let me know if you have any more questions.
(Karen, I'm sure you'd like the GGS program -- after you get through the 17 paper programs you've got queued up! ;) )
Roz

LadyLep, I just saw your most recent message.
I think you can do it with the equipment you have. You can always sub out a squat for a squat, a hinge for a hinge, a horizontal press for a horizontal press, etc. There's a great list of moves for each category so you can progress or regress a movement, as well as ways to make something more challenging. I mean, if you do a deep DB front squat at 2x30# with a pause at the bottom... no one's gonna tell you that's easy! ;)

You might find you can deadlift more than you have. But you can start with double DB Romanian Deadlifts and see how those feel. Or whatever you choose. You can get used BB plates for quite cheap, if you ever want to be able to load your bar more heavily.

Do you have a squat rack and/or a pullup bar? I think you don't NEED a squat rack for the GGS program as much as you might for Nia's program. A pullup bar or lat pulldown setup would be nice, though.

LadyLep, I just saw your most recent message.
I think you can do it with the equipment you have. You can always sub out a squat for a squat, a hinge for a hinge, a horizontal press for a horizontal press, etc. There's a great list of moves for each category so you can progress or regress a movement, as well as ways to make something more challenging. I mean, if you do a deep DB front squat at 2x30# with a pause at the bottom... no one's gonna tell you that's easy! ;)

You might find you can deadlift more than you have. But you can start with double DB Romanian Deadlifts and see how those feel. Or whatever you choose. You can get used BB plates for quite cheap, if you ever want to be able to load your bar more heavily.

Do you have a squat rack and/or a pullup bar? I think you don't NEED a squat rack for the GGS program as much as you might for Nia's program. A pullup bar or lat pulldown setup would be nice, though.

Ok everybody, I took the plunge. I figure I will just work through all these programs. This looks good, I may start it in October, or November. I usually get back into my heavy lifting late Autumn and Winter. At this rate, I'm going to be working through my lifting programs, well into my 80's. That's not a bad thing, as long as I keep lifting and trying to stay strong. I think???

I don't have STS either[emoji17] someday I'll get on demand, when the premixes are there...

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.