GettingFitAt38 Your story

StepEdith

Cathlete
Hey Donna:

Every single time I read tidbits of your story on here I"m soooo inspired. I have plenty to lose myself and your kinda my role model with the Cathe workouts.

I know there are others that have more than a hair to lose and that they would probably like to see some tips or a summary of your progress like I would.

I'd like to hear how you started and worked your way up even if it's posted in parts I, II, III or something like that. How long could you do Cathe step for at first how'd ya modify and same with weights. Also about the fantastic results you've gotten and how you feel better. I want more people to know Cathe can work for them even if they are not advanced yet but that you can start with her and work your way up with modifications.

Thanks a lot. I'm Jewish myself. We have several things in common.

Edith
;-)

She is such a good example to everyone - she took charge of her situation, took responsibility, and got the job done (is still doing the job, I'm sure she would be quick to add). No fancy schmacy stuff, just hard work and smart choices. No magic pill, or magic bullets.

I wish her story could be featured somewhere with a lot of media exposure. It would give hope to a lot of people, like it has here.

Just Do It! :)

Edith, how kind you are :)

I'm almost embarrassed to tell you that the only 2 reasons I actually started out at the "Cathe level" were:

1. It angered me that the vast majority of society expected me to start a fitness program of "sweatin to the oldies" like there was no other alternative out there! I could accept that I was obese and completely out of shape, but could you at least throw a Denise Austin, Kathy Smith or Charlene Prickett video my way? Or hey, how about some Leslie Sansone? :)

2. I'm cheap! :) The idea of purchasing "beginner" videos, then moving into "intermediate" and having to purchase more, then finally achieving "advanced" level and having to again make more purchases just didn't "jive" with the penny pinching, tight budget, coupon clipping person that I am, so the sheer drive to get the most for my money is what forced me in to Cathe! :)
*And WHAT a bargain each and every video has been!

Because I knew nothing of Cathe or exercise videos other than "the sweatin to..." when I first began to exercise at 375lbs, I originally started "working out" to the Denise Austin Lifetime TV program "Fit & Lite." I was so out of shape, I could only do 10min of the show. I sat and cried while watching the remaining 20min of the show! I vowed to come back each day until I could complete the entire show. At the end of that week on Friday (my 5th day of exercising), I was up to 20min. Now, according to my exercise log, by the end of the 2nd week I was doing the whole 30min show. Then I moved on to the 2nd show which was more aerobics and toning, and by the end of 30 days, I was doing the entire Denise Austin hour. I did that for another month, and in those first 2 months I'd lost 25lbs.
Then I found Cathe! I found her MIS video at collagevideo (which I only found due to an ad in Shape magazine), and I ordered it. Once it arrived, it had her website on it, so I quickly found this forum and her other videos. So I began weight training with MIS, using lighter weights (5-10# db and 35#bb for leg work) and I'd take my cues on when to increase weight from Cathe. When the current weight got too easy, I'd increase it. Then I began to sort of force myself to increase weight about every 6 weeks or so, and that's pretty much how I got myself to progress through weights. Lower body was much easier than upper! I added PowerHour as my 2nd video, and then the CTX Series (my intro to Cathe cardio!) :)
And was it ugly! There isn't just a different world between Denise Austin cardio and Cathe cardio, there is an entire Solar System! I thought I would pass out during just some of her warm ups! My first cardio was 10-10-10 (still my favorite!), and I could not believe she expected me to be able to achieve those moves! I didn't! I modified even in the warm up! I could do NO plyo moves, no jacks, and clearly nothing air born! :)
Loved CTX kickbox, easiest to do, until the jumping sequence, once again, modify, modify, modify! Step & intervals, and power circuit were do-able with again, modifications, but All Step was a total joke, it completely frustrated me! I actually modified CTX until I got down to about 200lbs. So basically for 150lbs, I modified all Cathe cardio and I completed it as far as time length, but had to gradually ease in to plyo moves, jacks, air born moves, etc. Every few weeks I noticed I modified less and less. And adding Imax every week really helped because it had all the plyo moves, jacks, etc., and because I was forced to do them and was determined to get through the video without having to modify, it helped me with the rest of the cardio workouts.

So basically, it just took sticking to it day by day, week by week, modifying where I needed to until I could do it, and then one day, for whatever reason, I'd be doing a move without the modification and saying to myself, "OMG! I did it!" And it's still happening like that! 2 weeks ago doing Imax I did the "tuck jumps" and was just too excited! My heart was in my nose, but I did them! :) They weren't nearly as perfect or pretty as Cathe's, but I did them! :) Then I did them again last week, so I think I'm done modifying interval #10! Which means I can now do Imax modification free! Wooo-Hoooo!!:)

So............anybody, and I mean anybody, can do Cathe! It just means making it work for you. Even Cathe says over and over in several videos, "modify!" She even says it to her own crew, so make it work for you however it takes, and through time and practice, it gets easier and more do-able. I am living proof of that! It can be done! :)

Thanks for asking me to share, and just so you guys know, I did have an opportunity to share my story publicly, but turned it down because I refused to be one of those people who mislead/lie on an infomercial. Someone in my family came across a website for a product and sent my story in, well, the "person" sent me his "system" to try for 6 weeks, I tried it for 4 weeks, it was okay, I reported back and told the P.R. person what I thought about it, but that it couldn't replace my existing program which was Cathe's, and they offered me the opportunity to be the "star" of their upcoming infomercial and tell my weight loss story. It took only a second before I realized that they intended to mislead the public by allowing viewers to assume I lost weight on their product, when in fact, I didn't even try this man's "system" until I'd gotten down to like 180lbs. I tried it for about 1 month, I wasn't getting the results like with my Cathe workouts, so I quit.
This also taught me to really be wary of infomercials and their "claim to fame." I lost weight with Cathe, and 4 weeks on that program would have made the public think that I did it with his product. What a sham! And what a scam artist! So be very critical of infomercials with "amazing" weight loss stories. They may not be true at all!

Thanks for letting me share :)

Donna

P.S. And I probably had the ugliest versions of CircuitMax, CardioKicks and MIC known to mankind! :)

Actually, MIC is still ugly! I don't care what anyone says, "IT IS HARDER THAN IMAX!" and I'm talking about JUST the hi/lo portion!

Donna

[font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON Oct-26-02 AT 03:54PM (Est)[/font][p]Donna,

Everytime I read something about you I am more amazed than ever!!!! You are ONE AWESOME woman!!!!:-wow
You are truly an inspiration, a testament to good clean eating and hard exercise. You have accomplished so much...and to add to that, you seem like a very fun and personable woman. You go, gettinfit@38!!!!:7

Sherry

Donna:

Thanks so much. I've been modifying with Cathe since I started with her the 1st of this year and like you I keep noticing I'm increasing and doing better and better.

I did train for Cathe videos with some step Reebok's and Gilad step tapes for quite a long time b4 I took the plunge. I was like you and thought I did not see the point in investing in too many starter tapes may as well get the real McCoy and grow the rest of the way up with it. I also knew I was going to workout this time for the rest of my life I had the "calling" so to speak and could feel it was about waaaay more than weight loss.

I was about 75lbs below where you started when I started and have lost a whole of that now but have some to go too. I'm gonna do it with Cathe too. Have ordered a lot of her tapes this year and about to order another bunch next month. :-rollen

This forum has been a true blessing as well. I have just loved it and feel as if many of you are good friends of mine now days.

Thanks to Donna and all.

Edith
;-)

Edith..............

Oh my goodness, I had no idea you started out at a high weight! There are more and more of us finding Cathe and losing weight with her workouts. It makes you want to "spread the joy" but sometimes I fear that what worked for me may harm someone else, so I'm not always sure if recommending Cathe is appropriate for someone else 300+lbs. But now I'm beginning to reconsider that and just pass out flyers everywhere I go! :)

I'd love to hear your story if you don't mind sharing :)

Donna

Sherry, Sherry, Sherry.................

You give me WAY too much credit! :)

A testament to hard exercise: YES! I admit I do workout hard! I never 1/2 way do any workout, it's 100% or nothing!

BUT....

A testament to clean eating is a stretch! Clearly you've missed many a post when I've gone through my "Ben & Jerry lovefest" or my weeks of eating like food was about to be outlawed in 24hrs.! :)
I struggle with my eating daily, and I can't honestly say I eat "clean," more like "less dirty!" :)

But thank you for the compliment, I appreciate ALL the support I get from this forum! :) Now you're gonna make me have to eat cleaner tonight after that wonderful compliment! And I so wanted a cheeseburger! :(

Donna

Donna I hope you don't mind, I'm copying and wanting to paste your story to a web page. I won't do it till I have your permission. Do you have a web page of your own? I would love to link your story to it. Also if you have any pictures I would love to see them. The page I would like to print your story on is http://www.geocities.com/ciaobella98765/Fitness.html.

Donna-
I am just like you, and I struggle so hard with ice cream. MooseTracks....PMS Heaven. My mouth is watering just thinking about it. But you do not know how much you have inspired many of us. I think of you often when I am dying thru Imax. I love to read your posts, I admire you greatly.
Lori S.

Stepedith,

Hey, I'm jewish too :) with a lot to lose. I started around 260 and am now 225. Donna is just so inpiring isn't she!!!!

Donna, I truly admire you as well. You have improved the quality of your life through hard work and determination. And your outlook on life is so positive and uplifting, I always enjoy reading your posts:). Good for you, you are really an inspiration for us all!!!!!

Sandi

Moose Tracks

Lori, whoever invented that type of ice cream is a big meanie. I love it and find it so hard to resist if it is on sale. I can pass it up normally, since it is kind of expensive, but watch out otherwise!! -Heather

Hi Connie,

That is so sweet :) I don't mind you putting my story on a web page. And if you email me your address, I'll send you a before/during/ and "almost" picture to post. :)

I know its korny, but I kept a pair of my size 4x jeans so that when I finally reach goal, I can take one of those pictures where the person is standing inside the pant leg and holding the pants out to show how much weight they've lost. Wanting to take that picture has gotten me through many a tough workout! :)

Donna

RE: Moose Tracks

GetnFit@38:

Yours is truly an amazing and inspiring story. You should be proud of yourself. Keep up the good workouts and combine them with a sensible diet and you'll keep on improving. If this website ever has a Before and After Gallery of forum members, you should post some pics. The before picture if you have one, and definitely the After picture.

Or just a gallery for members that wouldn't have to be a B&A, just where we can see each other. Yours is truly an awesome storyGetnFit! Congratulations and keep up the workouts and all around healthy lifestyle. :)

Sincerely,

Martina

RE: Moose Tracks

Donna humbles me. To take control of her life when her doctor told her how much she had to lose! And I don't mean weight, I mean life itself. For her beatiful daughters and husband and her own amazing self, she took control. The thing that wows me is her nonchalant attitude and that incredible sense of humor. We know that it is not the sky that is the limit but the ends of the universe!

And I tip my hat to Sherry too. She's an amazing lady as well as a beautiful one. Her story is not mine to share but let me tell you, she is a wonderful email friend and she deals with issues that make mine seem so inconsequential but she deals with them with such grace and charm, I am awed and inspired!

Life isn't always easy and it sometimes throws us a big old curve ball, but with such terrific role models, I have faith we can all get through just fine!

As for ice cream, it was made to be enjoyed even if it's at the expense of some nutrient dense food. Just remember to skip the healthy food so you don't take in too many calories! Many nights I have had my dessert for dinner but that has got to be better than having my dinner AND my dessert when the whole pint is the only thing that'll do!! Balance those calories. Sometimes the scale will tip in favor of the more high calorie foods and sometimes you'll crave veggies. I swear. it's true. And if it isn't, you CAN fake it!

http://www.plaudersmilies.de/chicken.gif Chick's Rule! B http://www.plaudersmilies.de/natur/petals.gif bbi

Thankyou so much for sharing that with us Donna, what a remarkable story, you must be sooooooooooo proud of yourself :)
And, I still can't believe how much weight you have lost - you have lost more weight than I weigh !!!!!!!!!!!!!:-wow - I think about you and that when I am struggling over my step to Cathe, and it keeps me going !

So, thankyou so much for your brilliant postings on the forum, for being an inspiration and keep up your EXCELLENT work ! :D

Anna

PS: Fat Melting Rotation Starts tomorrow night, and I can't wait !!!!!!!!!!!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.