Getting Back

IrisG

Hi Cathe!

I'm such a fan - have been doing your workouts for about 5 years or so. My concern is my knees. I've had two arthroscopic surgeries on my right knee, the left knee is now also hurting, but not as much. Guess it's calling to me since I'm over compensating for the right knee. How do incorporate your workouts without doing more damage. I'm tentatively scheduled for a knee replacement sometime in March and my doctor recommends that I begin to workout again. I know you're very busy, but anyone who is reading this post - please chime in.

Look forward to hearing from you. I see that since the Body Blast series, you've added many more workouts - what's a girl to do!!!

Hi Iris! Do you know what brought on your knee pain? Is it a result of working out, general overuse from life's events, genetic predisposition to knee problems? Because you have already had a couple of knee surgeries, I think it is best to ask your doctor to be specific with you as to what you should and should not do as it pertains to your knees. Sorry I can't be of more help to you right now. Take Care!

Hi Cathe - thank you so much for responding. My knee problems are a result of many factors - I played volleyball throughout high school, several falls and arthritis. My doctor says I can pretty much return to working out as long as it's not full impact - like stepping, running, etc. What's a girl to do with all of your wonderful step workouts :( :( My main concern is using weights and barbells. My doctor says I can - my knees tell me otherwise. Help!!!

I have similar knee issues and have just recently slowly resumed working out after a few weeks of physical therapy. I can share what I've been doing....

So far for cardio I've been doing only the recumbent bike at a low resistance, kickboxing and just yesterday introduced step again at a 4 inch height using all low impact moves and my knee seems to have tolerated that just fine. Hamstring stretching is very important for knee health so I've also added in at least 1 day of yoga a week....yoga contains not only great hamstring stretching but the balancing poses are great for isometric contractions to help with quad strengthening. As far as working out my lower body with weights, my PT recommended subbing Cathe's squats and lunges with wall squats using a stability ball making sure to keep your knees well behind the toes while squatting. Wall squats with the ball take SO much tension off the knees! Right now I'm not adding add'l weight, but I plan to hold a 10 lb weight plate in my lap or arms (have to see which feels best) next week. During some of her leg segments I'll also sub straight legged leg raises with a 3-5 lb ankle weight. I just do what I can until I feel any discomfort and then I stop. I still include Cathe's calf raises, deadlifts and floor work.

As an example, yesterday I did The Gauntlet with the following modifications....step I kept all low impact, skipped the blast intervals after the IMax2 sections,and modified the standing leg work with regular and plie wall squats. I still got a great workout. Just try not to do too much too soon! Good luck and I hope that helps out some!

I just wanted to add that I've had knee problems all my life, and was just diagnosed with Rheumatoid Arthritis, pretty much in my knees and 1 elbow at this point. I had Juvenile Rheumatoid Arthritis (JRA) when I was a child. It went into remission and I was able to play volleyball, basketball and softball in high school. I did have one arthroscopic surgury on 1 knee when I was 16 as well.

ANYWAY- I have made the decision to do what I feel my body can handle, and to really listen to it. I pretty much do all of Cathe's workouts, but I modify what my body tells me I should. Some days I can do most of the impact (I tend to not jump the power 15's, or at least VERY little), but sometimes I have to modify and either keep it low or do a different move (a repeater or grapevine or something) if I can't modify it.

Most doctors are going to tell you to be conservative- and that might be the best thing for you. A lot of it depends on why your knees are bothering you- because you could do more damage depending on what's going on. Listen to your body, ask your doctor questions, and then decide what fits into your life. I know that I can't LIVE without my tough workouts, so I choose to go on with them, carefully.

Good luck! You are definitely not alone in this!
Denise

Hi Stacy and Denise - thank you very much for your responses. This has definately put a different spin on what I've been told by the medical community. I do miss not doing all of Cathe's workouts, but I will definately give it a shot. If I am being honest, if there was a way that I could strengthen my knees the way they used to be - believe me - no way would I subject myself to having my knee replaced. The thought is nerve wrenching to say the least. I will give myself about 2-3 weeks to see where I am, then and only then will I make a definate decision on the knee replacement. I've been doing pilates and yoga and yes - the stretching feels wonderful. I've started with the weights on my bench with 5,8 and 10s and boy oh boy - do I feel those DOMS - OUCH!!! Thanks again Stacy and Denise for your support!!!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.