getting back on track-opinions

lulubell

Cathlete
Hi all,

I'll try to be short and sweet...I took a workout/diet hiatus for whatever reasons and I really have to get my but in gear...none of my summer clothes fit, like really tight...I'm totally mortified!!!! Anyways, I had done phase 1 of p90x had to stop and then did it again, I'm planning on doing phase 2 now (taking way longer than 90 days but whatever) and continuing till I finish the program finally. What are all your thoughts on getting the best and fastest results for weight loss...I know I should do extra cardio but what do you think, how much and how long?

Please help me, thanks
Aggie

I also have the same question. I have 40lbs to lose. I have Cathe's STS, 4DS, gym styles series and access to a gym. I don't know which workout to use to shed the fat, and whether to follow other training like Cosgrove, Body for Life, or P90x.

The clean eating part I can follow and know the amount of calories to reduce.

I would love any input as the above poster. My clothes are now tight for the summer, and well that makes for an uncomfortable summer!

If your goal is weight loss, I say as long as your diet is right and you're active (I think frequent activity, such as lots of walking, works better than intense spurts, but it's all good), it doesn't matter much what you do for weight training. Just as long as you don't weight train so heavily that it increases your appetite. When you're trying to lose weight, endurance and lighter weight workouts are better because they're more like cardio, and therefore decrease your appetite instead of increasing it.

I agree with Nancy. As long as you really clean up your diet (we're talking almost 100%), and also working out most days (listen to your body), alternating cardio/weights, then you should be in good shape for summer!

I am with you on the hiatus. I broke my foot at the end of March and took that as an excuse to eat whatever I wanted (I was wallowing in self pity). I have finally cleaned up my eating again and am back to weight training (no cardio for me yet), and I am down about 8 pounds (I had gained about 10 in 3 short weeks...lots of food and wine!!).

You need to be focused and disciplined in your eating! Good luck!!
Jenn :)

As stated previously, diet is the key. I can only do light exercising due to muscular problems but I know if I would clean up my diet, I could lose the weight. I just can't seem to motivate myself to eat better but I get frustrated when I put on my clothes. It sounds like you are now motivated to get yourself back on track. Good for you!!!! You will definitely reach your goal when you're in the right mindset. Um, could you send some of that motivation my way? :D Good luck!

Bam

Hi all,

I'll try to be short and sweet...I took a workout/diet hiatus for whatever reasons and I really have to get my but in gear...none of my summer clothes fit, like really tight...I'm totally mortified!!!! Anyways, I had done phase 1 of p90x had to stop and then did it again, I'm planning on doing phase 2 now (taking way longer than 90 days but whatever) and continuing till I finish the program finally. What are all your thoughts on getting the best and fastest results for weight loss...I know I should do extra cardio but what do you think, how much and how long?

Please help me, thanks
Aggie

Aggie, it depends on your body type. I would read BFFM (Burn the Fat, Feed the Muscle by Tom Venuto) for some excellent help in this area.

When you're trying to lose weight, endurance and lighter weight workouts are better because they're more like cardio, and therefore decrease your appetite instead of increasing it.

I'm sorry, Nancy, I disagree. For too long women have been told to do light weights with lots of reps for weight loss, and I just don't think it works unless you are a complete newbie to weight lifting. Lifting heavy for lower reps builds muscle, increasing EPOC for much longer (calorie burn after a workout) and raising your metabolism because muscles burn way more calories than fat. Endurance lifting doesn't build muscle, it only maintains it. As well, you must do weight training when losing weight, or you will lose muscle rather than fat, ending up "skinny-fat". It is extremely important to maintain, and even grow, your lean body mass, when losing weight.

Last edited:
I'm sorry, Nancy, I disagree. For too long women have been told to do light weights with lots of reps for weight loss, and I just don't think it works unless you are a complete newbie to weight lifting. Lifting heavy for lower reps builds muscle, increasing EPOC for much longer (calorie burn after a workout) and raising your metabolism because muscles burn way more calories than fat. Endurance lifting doesn't build muscle, it only maintains it. As well, you must do weight training when losing weight, or you will lose muscle rather than fat, ending up "skinny-fat". It is extremely important to maintain, and even grow, your lean body mass, when losing weight.

But doesn't that depend on the individual? I agree that building muscle is a good thing but just because someone lifts heavy doesn't mean that they build large amounts of lean muscle in a matter of a week or two. But even if they did one pound of lean body mass only burns 6 calories per day, not as was previously thought 30 to 50 calories.

I always thought that heavy lifting should be short periods alternating with phases of lighter, more endurance based lifting. I just did a 3-week Slow and Heavy rotation and it was great but Cathe said to do a maximum of 3 weeks. To me that does make sense because I really had to concentrate to go that heavy with correct form. Aren't rest periods just as important as the actual weight work because in fact, muscle is built during rest periods not during lifting?

Nancy, I also noticed that I was a lot more hungry when I did S&H than with any other weight workout. That's another reason why I would only do heavy lifting for short periods of time when trying to lose weight.

I always thought that heavy lifting should be short periods alternating with phases of lighter, more endurance based lifting. I just did a 3-week Slow and Heavy rotation and it was great but Cathe said to do a maximum of 3 weeks. To me that does make sense because I really had to concentrate to go that heavy with correct form. Aren't rest periods just as important as the actual weight work because in fact, muscle is built during rest periods not during lifting?

Cathe's STS program Meso 2 & 3 are heavy lifting and she originally designed the program for 8 weeks each. Taking one rest week between cycles. I think the importance of rest has to do with how often you work the body part (once a week resting 6 days) and the timed rest between sets.
I love endurance type lifting and that has always been my focus. The rest between sets in Meso 2 & 3 was so new to me. I wanted to skip to the next chapter because 60/90 second rest seemed like an eternity. I've adjusted to it, and learned to use the rest to my advantage. I push harder knowing I have a rest coming up.

I agree with Nancy about endurance workouts controlling appetite. I have an enormous appetite with hypertrophy and strength phases.
Heavy lifting is really changing the shape of my body. I can't wait to see what I look like after a year of cycling through STS.
It is THE best investment I've ever made.
I will take a break and go back to lighter weights and high reps- but no longer than 8 weeks.

I always thought that heavy lifting should be short periods alternating with phases of lighter, more endurance based lifting.

Change is good; changing up your workout routine regularly is great. Only doing endurance lifting as suggested by Nancy will give you very limited results.

Aren't rest periods just as important as the actual weight work because in fact, muscle is built during rest periods not during lifting?
Rest periods are important, in terms of resting a particular muscle group; active recovery is recommended- don't rest the whole body, just rest the part of the body that you just worked while working another body part.

I just did a 3-week Slow and Heavy rotation and it was great but Cathe said to do a maximum of 3 weeks. To me that does make sense because I really had to concentrate to go that heavy with correct form.

Cathe said to do a maximum of a three week rotation of S and H because of the mental commitment required to work at that level, not because it is bad for the body. And incidentally, I said work heavy, I said nothing about working slow.

But doesn't that depend on the individual? I agree that building muscle is a good thing but just because someone lifts heavy doesn't mean that they build large amounts of lean muscle in a matter of a week or two.

I didn't say that you build large amounts of muscle in a week or two, Carola.

But even if they did one pound of lean body mass only burns 6 calories per day, not as was previously thought 30 to 50 calories.
There have been no studies that show that it takes more calories to burn fat than muscle. Muscle burns more calories than fat, period. How much more has not yet been determined consistently. More muscle, more calories burned. If you want to raise your metabolism and burn more calories at rest, build muscle.

There have been no studies that show that it takes more calories to burn fat than muscle. Muscle burns more calories than fat, period. How much more has not yet been determined consistently. More muscle, more calories burned. If you want to raise your metabolism and burn more calories at rest, build muscle.

I am not sure what you are trying to say. There are plenty of studies and I just said that muscle burns more calories than fat just not as much as people previously thought.

Yes, more muscle means that you burn more calories at rest but if lifting heavy increases your appetite and you are trying to lose weight, it is kind of counterproductive, isn't it?

There just isn't a one-size-fits-all recommendation and if for some people lifting heavy results in increased appetite, it may sabotage the weightloss, especially in the beginning since as we both agree muscle is not built in a week or two. To build 3 to 4 lbs of lean muscle takes the average person about 3 months. 4 lbs burn an extra 24 to 40 calories (1 lb of lean muscle burns an additional 6 to 10 calories per day). Hardly enough to counteract increased calorie intake.

Heavy lifting is great but I agree with Nancy for some people it is probably not the best choice in the beginning phase of a weightloss program.

I would have to agree that everyone is different. I don't like to overthink the whole cardio and weight debate. I think that the only formula that IS the same for everyone is that if you are new to fat loss to lose the weight you have to burn more calories than you take in. A food journal smacks you into the reality of what you are actually eating. We all sometimes think that we are eating less than what we really are. But what I really wanted to say was slow and steady. You didn't put on the extra pounds in a week it took time and it will take time to take the extra weight off. Shoot for realistic goals that way you can make a healthy lifestyle a way of life and not just something you do when you think your clothes feel tight. Most importantly don't give up. Find something fun to do, . . I just love all of Cathe's workouts. Take a hike. Every little bit of movement helps strengthen your heart. Make small "clean eating" changes to your diet and just keep moving. You WILL get there. You can do this!!!!

Notice that I said "if your goal is weight loss". Some people want to lose weight more than they want anything else. If that's what you want, and you get hungry from heavy lifting as so many here have mentioned they do, heavy lifting could undermine your efforts.

Also, unfortunately, the latest research on the issue says that muscle does NOT burn a lot more calories than fat does. Bad news for us all. I try not to think about it. :(

However, I agree that weight lifting is very important. It prevents the loss of lean body mass, strengthens bones and keeps you strong and healthy. I love slow and heavy lifting, but sometimes I have trouble seeing the needle on the scale move upward. At times like that, I stick to endurance and medium lifting, like Power Hour and Muscle Max.

Last edited:
I think any exercise program that you enjoy and will do consistently will give you results combined with a sensible and nutritious diet, but diet being more important. The older one is, the more important diet becomes.

I used to believe that "x" is better than "y" after reading a particular theory and trying it out. Now I believe everything works...and the most effective way to lose weight is simply a style of workout that your body is least used to and provides adequate challenge for your current fitness level.

People lose weight with steady state cardio or aerobics which is suddenly out of favor, with HIIT style cardio, with mixing cardio and strength in the same session or AWT, with lifting heavy, with lifting light, with pilates, with barre workouts, with yoga.

I think it is good to cross train between cardio and resistance training in whatever style appeals to you and to also focus on flexibility to preserve/improve range of motion.

it really depends on your body

Also, it appears that changing things up really helps too. For my body, a 60 minute cardio workout, clean eating, and yoga in the evening seems to work best. I do one circuit workout per week. I tried doing more weights and less yoga, and I put on weight. I gain muscle really easily because of my elevated testosterone and insulin levels. I gained muscle in my arms from doing yard work. :confused: But, just because my body works one way doesn't mean that yours will work that way too. The best way I know of to find out what works, is to keep a detailed food journal and use an HRM to count calories and minutes in your THR. Also, weigh yourself frequently (at least two x/week) and start to see the trends of activity/food/weight. It is helpful to weigh/measure your food too. I'm not perfect, but at this point I think I know how to get my body to lose fat. I had lost 80 pounds, I've put 5 pounds back on and been bouncing around this number for 6 months. Its a plateau. I know how to fix it. I just have to be very strict, my body is too clever for junk food.:D

If you are trying to get back on track I'd say pick what you like to do and do it. Just get started. If you like circuits, do circuits. If you enjoy heavy lifting, start there, and do your cardio on the other days. If you like classes, sign up. As long as you are getting both strength and cardio you'll be fine. After two weeks (or whatever) change part of your routine. Four weeks after that, change it again. Keep things fresh and you will see results. Diet too is key though. Clean clean clean if you want to drop the pounds that have crept up.

Just one girl's opinion. :)

If your goal is weight loss, I say as long as your diet is right and you're active (I think frequent activity, such as lots of walking, works better than intense spurts, but it's all good), it doesn't matter much what you do for weight training. Just as long as you don't weight train so heavily that it increases your appetite. When you're trying to lose weight, endurance and lighter weight workouts are better because they're more like cardio, and therefore decrease your appetite instead of increasing it.

Nancy, I have found this is true for me. The increased appetite was counter productive and frusterating. I hated being that hungry all the time and having to think about food so much.

Thanks everyone for all your input...I really appreciate it, 2 days back on the wagon so far and feeling good, I will play around with things to see what works for me...wish me luck!!!

Aggie

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.