Getting back on track after operation

christosz

Cathlete
Hi all!!!

A little more than a month ago I had a quite serious operation (with a 10% chance of success) when my colon erupted. Luckily I survived (with a colostomy which I have to keep for 3-4 months, before going back on the table to have it removed). The doctors said I have a very strong body which helped fight it... Thanks Cathe!!!!!

Until the surgical incision heals I will not be able to do any sort of exercise other than walking and light run.

I have lost about 10-12 kgs, mainly muscle and a little bit of fat (didn't have much to begin with).

Do you have any suggestions as to which Cathe workout or series I should start with? I feel like I am starting from scratch and I rely all my hopes on this magical thing called muscle memory!!! I was at such a good place with my strength and endurance , and although I'm 52 I look, feel and workout far better than when I was 25-30yo!!!

I don't think the colostomy bag will get in the way of my training and I found some amazing accessories ta me things go smoother.

Thank you guys in advance!!!

Chris.

Good Grief Chris!
What an ordeal to deal with! Thank goodness you are alive to tell the tale...very serious incident indeed! I admire your grit and determination to continue with your fitness regime in spite of this setback...I think it is this attitude that enabled you to pull through it all. Obviously, you will want to take things very cautiously at first through your rehabilitation. Off the top of my head I would suggest low/no impact non-weighted routines for shorter durations (time saver premixes)...how does your physician feels about abdominal/core work? Turbo Barre, Travel Fit with very light bands... perhaps Cathe's spin workouts (modified, of course). The intermediate series ICE may fill the niche; however, some of the weighted work and impact moves may need to be modified. I'm curious to see what other Cathletes may have to suggest...
I wish you a very speedy recovery and send you cosmic encouragement to tackle the challenge ahead...you can do this!

I am so sorry you went through all this. Glad you are ok and on your way to recovery. I am doing another round of STS and was wondering what happen to you since I haven't seen you around in a very long time. As far as exercise goes, I would talk to your doctor on what you can and can't do. He or she knows best what is right for you. Don't try to push yourself. Wishing you all the best and a speedy recovery. Take care of yourself and let us know how you are doing.

Good Grief Chris!
What an ordeal to deal with! Thank goodness you are alive to tell the tale...very serious incident indeed! I admire your grit and determination to continue with your fitness regime in spite of this setback...I think it is this attitude that enabled you to pull through it all. Obviously, you will want to take things very cautiously at first through your rehabilitation. Off the top of my head I would suggest low/no impact non-weighted routines for shorter durations (time saver premixes)...how does your physician feels about abdominal/core work? Turbo Barre, Travel Fit with very light bands... perhaps Cathe's spin workouts (modified, of course). The intermediate series ICE may fill the niche; however, some of the weighted work and impact moves may need to be modified. I'm curious to see what other Cathletes may have to suggest...
I wish you a very speedy recovery and send you cosmic encouragement to tackle the challenge ahead...you can do this!

Thank you so much for your support!!!
I was aiming for TravelFit and modified ICE to begin with, but not without my doctor's approval, of course...
It's been a tough month but patience is a virtue and I'm happy to be alive. The good thing is that since I have almost no fat on my body right now (although I'm eating properly - mainly protein, salads and some carbs due to the colostomy) results will show straight away...

I am so sorry you went through all this. Glad you are ok and on your way to recovery. I am doing another round of STS and was wondering what happen to you since I haven't seen you around in a very long time. As far as exercise goes, I would talk to your doctor on what you can and can't do. He or she knows best what is right for you. Don't try to push yourself. Wishing you all the best and a speedy recovery. Take care of yourself and let us know how you are doing.

Will do! XxXxXxX

I second the ICE series. You don't say if you have access to a stationary bike or elliptical, if so I would be concentrating on walking/riding easy for a bit. I am hoping you a full and uncomplicated recovery!

Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!!!
Still a month and a half to go before the reversal operation, And then a few weeks of adjustment. I'm doing fine, tho!!! Miss my workouts (in my 50's I was in such a fantastic shape; better than my 20's, all thanks to the variety and intensity Cathe brings to her workouts!!!) but I'm being patient. Might start to wake up my muscles with Cathe's stretching videos to begin with.
I'm also considering investing in a spin bike!!!
Colostomy is tough but HiiT is tougher and I can breeze through HiiT!!!! Hahahahahaha!!!!

Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!!!
Still a month and a half to go before the reversal operation, And then a few weeks of adjustment. I'm doing fine, tho!!! Miss my workouts (in my 50's I was in such a fantastic shape; better than my 20's, all thanks to the variety and intensity Cathe brings to her workouts!!!) but I'm being patient. Might start to wake up my muscles with Cathe's stretching videos to begin with.
I'm also considering investing in a spin bike!!!
Colostomy is tough but HiiT is tougher and I can breeze through HiiT!!!! Hahahahahaha!!!!

Hello Chris,

Glad you are keeping some sense of humor after the ordeal! You will gain your shape back since your are so into
Hiit;):p:p Lol.

Investing in a spin bike is a good idea. Let me warn you cause you will be hooked! In terms of workout, I suggest
you take it easy till you get your reversal operation. You will still need to wait about 6 to 8 weeks to get the go ahead.
Cardio and weight,( if you can do cathe's steps) from intensity series could be a workout to start from before getting serious with the pure lifting.
Stretching now is a great idea. There are good mobility drill in youtube you could try out.
Wish you a prompt recovery.:)

Last edited:
Hi all!
Sorry it took so long to post an update but it took as long to have my reversal operation... Greek Public Health Service...
So, I started ICE Level 1 in November, moved to Level 2 in December and by January I was lifting as much as the used to before my initial operation in May and did the full amount of push ups (no abs, though...)! Talk about muscle memory! Can’t help but think how brilliantly Cathe’s workouts are compiled!!! No strain and no side effects. DOMS did pay me a visit, though!
Managed to do a few weeks of Fit Split in January before having my reversal operation on 01/31/18.
Needless to say, getting back to working out almost 3 months before my operation helped immensely; my doctor pointed that out to me!
Now I am recuperating, saving money for a spin bike and looking forward to getting back on track. I am meeting my doctor tomorrow to check on the scars/incisions and give me a time frame for the go ahead!!!
Can’t wait!!!

Once again thank you guys for your kind words and support!!!

XoXoXoX
Chris.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.